JWs versus Scientology

by millie210 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• millie210
    millie210

I have been discussing Scientology with a friend who is reading Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard.

Both groups are considered cults by many.

Both have a policy of shunning members who leave.

So in your opinion, what are the similarities you find between them?

What are the differences?

Is one group "worse"?

Which one and why? 

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Scientology wins that contest hands down. It costs big money to be told you dont have the souls of dead aliens inside you or whatever other bullshit. 

http://www.xenu.net/roland-intro.html

• flipper
    flipper

MILLIE- I think both groups are really bad in their mind control techniques they use on their members. It's been mentioned that the Scientologists are like Jehovah's Witnesses on steroids. Scientology's leader has approved of physical violence towards members - HE David Miscavige has committed physical violence towards his own followers. They keep secret records about Scientology members personal lives, i.e. Tom Cruise, John Travolta and others and use slave labor within their ranks to recruit others. They are more visible in their abuse of members.

Jehovah's Witnesses are more subtle in WT Society abuse towards members but JUST as dangerous. Child abuse , suicides, people dying from not receiving blood transfusions , shunning of relatives and friends due to not attending meetings or agreeing with beliefs. Both cults are extremely dangerous . And both cults do illegal and criminal activities 

• Illuminated
    Illuminated
    Outside looking in, they're both creepy.
  • millie210
    millie210

Thank you all for the replies. 

Yes Illuminated I find them very creepy also.

Flipper - I likeyour contrast/compare of the two. I would ahve called the Scientologists mor member abusive but I hadnt thought about the angle of blood transfusions. I am sure more Witnesses end up dead of the two belief systems.

Witness My Fury - you really called it on the money angle - no drink lifes water free there! Thanks for providing a link, I am going to go read it now.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

As a JW, I was really attracted to Scientology at one point. I read Dianetics, it was interesting. I never investigated much further.

DD

• millie210
    millie210

What attracted you do you think looking back now Data Dog?

Heres a fun bet

Who said this: 

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion 

• rebel8
    rebel8

Scientology is suspected of murders, and IIRC there is a very credible allegation of infiltrating the IRS to manipulate taxation of the church.

They eschew all medical treatment, not just cherry picking like the dubs. They're accused of not allowing women to make noise during labor and not allowing medications at all.

If these things are true, I can't see how dubbery is more dangerous than that. And that's even from my perspective. (Obviously I personally know jwism is very dangerous.)

Lisa McPherson's memorial was vandalized. I don't think that happens an awful lot at the hand of dubs (I'm nauseated from saying anything positive about the dubs--actually I am just saying they're only slightly less soiled than the darkest of all).

Oh, and they're still at it.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I was a big sci-fy fan and JWism is extremely stale and boring. So by comparison, Scientology seemed pretty cool. Well, I should say Dianetics was interesting because I didn't know anything about Scientology. 

Dianetics interested me because I had "issues" from life experiences and because I was raised as a dub. I was always looking at different perspectives because I knew JWism couldn't be all there was.

DD

• millie210
    millie210

Rebel8  Interesting link about Alice Wu , It also references Lisa McPhersons death in that article. That was the first death I remembered hearing about in connection with Scientology.

I didnt know about the vandalization though. I was also unaware that they are against all medical interventions.

Interesting phraseology "the darkest of all"

And yet, they still recruit successfully.   

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit