Is there proof of Evolution out there? help needed

by trumangirl 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Hi I thought I would jump into the fray.

On Occam's Razor: It is a good rule of thumb but it isn't deterministic or without error or deviation so I wouldn't go on about how it supposedly disproves creationism. The fact is that from the Universe to subatomic particles (and stuff that hasn't even been discovered yet) there is a phenominally, mind-boggling amount of order, complexicity and design. If we did apply Occam's Razor it would no doubt shave off all of the phenominally, mind-boggling coincidences, stops n starts, periodic expansionistic, genomic mutations and other physical loop-de-loops that is Evolutionary Theory in massive waves and close nicks and thereby single out God faster than an ayatollah in a Guantanamo line-up.

HE, yes he is the Creator of the Universe and the only real question is whether things occurred as traditionally viewed in the Bible or some other holy scripture or tales. Occam's Razor does not support the idea that God utilized Evolution to create since that only compounds another layer of complexicity to the matter. By the way, It is isn't sexist to refer to the Creator in the male gender. Although God as a Spirit Being is neither truly male or female of course, we use words to describe things and in describing a thing it can be either gender specific or gender neutral. I don't know what dogs and cats and birds and fish call God if they think of Him but as for humans we utilize human concepts and wiht the human species it is the male that initiates the life process via fertilization of the egg of the female. Therefore, it is proper that God, the Creator, as the initiator of life is also referred to utilizing male gender terms. Get over it feminists.

On most Creationists: The vast majority of these are ignorant. They do a disservice to their cause and generally annoy the not-so-ignorant usually by their insistance to take the Bible so literally all the time.

Personally, I think that this is one area that Jehovah's Witnesses have stumbled upon that is probably closer to the real TRUTH, even if they are yet far off base. What I speak of is the JW view that the universe was created over millenia of millenia of years, that the earth, solar system, etc. are many billions of years old, that the basic order of life appeared (via Creation) on Earth over many millions of years and that Mankind is a very late arrival to the party.

In my opinion where JWs go awry from the above is again too heavily persistance in accepting the Genesis creation stories as true and accurate accounts, particularly with respect to Adam n Eve and that little gardening problem.

On Evolution: Reading books on Evolution by Evolutionists is like trying to learn about the benefits of real estate development by reading the Art of the Deal. (That'sby the Donald for all you under 30) (that's Donald Trump for all you under 25) (that's the guy from The Apprentice for all you under 20). I mean having an Agenda isn't a crime but it certainly suggests guilt or at the least mischievousness.

The central problem with Evolution is its utter lack of testability and observabilty. In other words the basic process of the Scientific Method cannot be applied to Evolution.

Yes scientists can do all sorts of neat things like get amino acids to form in a lightning bottle, but organic material does not equal life. The Cassini space probe just might find organic material on Saturn or its moons, especially when it drops its Christmas Present on Titan but one thing that Huygens will not find is life. Life will not be found on Mars, in fact it won't be found anywhere.

We live at the starting point of life in the Universe and so far we have been making the rest of it, as they say in Contact, "an awful waste of space." But all things have a starting point (with some exceptions like a Mobius strip and space itself) and the Earth is the Universe's starting point for life.

If Humans ever do get to live forever that sure will make a trip to Betelgeuse seem like a trip to the Bahamas.

ASide from its utter lack of testability, Evolution suffers from a bunch of misapplied concepts that have been wrongfully incorporated into by the misinformed and self-indulgent.

For example the notion of "Survival of the Fittest" is self-evident. It is so obvious that even a dummy like Darwin could understand it when he read about it. But that basic observable concept got and gets wrongfully microscoped and against all the precepts of Chaos Theory, it is applied and morphed into the Evolutionary hypothesis of Adaptation. Thus white moths are seen to have an "evolutionary advantage" over black ones at times but in later industrial periods when the coal has sooted the treebark, it is the black moths that have the advantage.

OOh ahh, Evolution some Do-Dos coo.

No stupid. Extenral conditions having nothing to do with evolution make it easier for predators to eat one over the other and vice versa thus leaving more of those moths to survive and to pass on the beneficial genetic trait to offspring that thus enjoy the same advantage (for a while at least.) There is nature involved sure and biological consequences yes. Evolution no, obviously not.

No testability, no clarity, lots of fervent desire that Evoluton is the only useful construct, the only workable paradigm because God forbid that we consider the only known alternative, Creationism. Why that might mean that we have to also consider other things about that Creator and *gasp* what He might want. No, no. can't have that. Pile on the books, we must have more books!

-Eduardo

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Eduardo,

Yes scientists can do all sorts of neat things like get amino acids to form in a lightning bottle, but organic material does not equal life. The Cassini space probe just might find organic material on Saturn or its moons, especially when it drops its Christmas Present on Titan but one thing that Huygens will not find is life. Life will not be found on Mars, in fact it won't be found anywhere.

This perfectly illustrates the tenor of para-science. You have already concluded the matter based on what is said in the Bible. You have an agenda. This is unscientific in the true sense of the word - you have started from a conclusion.

The central problem with Evolution is its utter lack of testability and observabilty. In other words the basic process of the Scientific Method cannot be applied to Evolution.

I will leave others to dissect this singularly incorrect statement.

Best regards - HS

• hooberus
    hooberus

Kansas 1993. Need more proof?

Apart from, for example, Kansas 1993?

What information do you have on a 1993 Kansas incident? I have only found a few short sentences.

• trumangirl
    trumangirl

The posts have some great leads for me to investigate. Here is my response to some -

Abaddon - THanks for all the links. You know, schools don't need to teach all the mythical accounts, just need to mention that there are some serious objections to evo.

Sirona - If evolution is the 'most likely' theory about the origin of life, why bother with God?

Hooberus - I am familiar with Occams razor, but on this subject I don't think it applies, because organic life is so complex humans don't even fully understand how it works, so how could the origin of life be uncomplicated?

Max Divergent - I would like to see that line by line critique of Creation book.

Seattleniceguy - thanks for the compliment! I will definitely get that book by M Denton.

Zen nudist - not sure what to say about your post! My mind can't think about pantheism right now.

ThiChi - I agree on your point re Occams razor - maybe evolution is less complicated because it relieves us of any requirement to think about spiritual things.

JWBot - You're right, but of course it's more satisfying to think that there HAS to be a God, to have faith in a necessity, not just a wishful-thinking, "I would like there to be a God, therefore I believe".

Ohio cowboy - LOL proof of Devolution!

Logansrun - yes exactly, and who wants to believe in a superfluous God? You always have a short but punchy post!

PHil - But doesn't Evolution spawn new "belief systems"? - sorry, you're just talking semantics.

Zen nudist - We don't know anything about God's form (if God exists that is), so 'spirit' must be in another dimension surely? and we can't theorise about that. It would be like an ant trying to theorise about humans. All we can find out about is in the physical universe, and if the evidence shows that organic life couldn't have arisen by chance, then surely the logical conclusion is that 'something' or 'someone' intelligent had a hand?

Xander - It's great that an atomic particle came about by chance - now show how it could have come together with other bits and pieces to make a living cell.

Kenneson - "Big banger" I like that!

Oroborus21 - You really like that JW submission policy for women don't you? Your post started out well until you started on about the male/female God debate. Women initiate reproduction just the same as men, you know, PLUS, we nurture life for 9 months then give birth to it. Your anti-feminist argument doesn't stand up.

• AlanF
    AlanF

ThiChi said,

: Your and AlanF's argumentum ad hominems once more prove that this tactic is truly the Refuge of "Intellectual scoundrels."

LOL! My "ad hominem" ("Hooberus, Sarfati's article is just horrible. But I won't try to convince you; it's just pissing into the wind.") vis a vis Hooberus is one based on years of experience dealing with Young-Earth Creationists in general, and Hooberus in particular. He has demonstrated time and again his complete inability/unwillingness to deal with any subject not already canned in the AnswersInGenesis website. In this, he's no different from the stereotypical braindead Jehovah's Witness who can't/won't deal with anything not already canned in Watchtower literature. Hooberus demonstrated this inability several times in this thread (by ignoring my comment; by ignoring several arguments that various posters presented) and in the thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/74477/1.ashx where he replied to a long-standing challenge from Hillary_Step with a wimpy "If I decide to take the time to go into your points on the other thread I will probably do it there, or you may wish to search in some of the mainline creationist organization websites." Which means he wasn't able to find an answer to the challenge (now or a long time ago when HS first posed it) on the AnswersInGenesis website, and therefore will almost certainly continue to put off giving an answer.

Point being: calling a convicted murderer a murderer can be termed an ad hominem, but it's meaningless because it's simply stating a demonstrated fact. And stating that a self-admitted YEC will continue to fail to answer hard questions is another fact.

Now let's see if you can put your money where your big mouth is, ThiChi. I'm supremely confident, based on your wimping out in our last exchange, that you'll wimp out once again, and once again prove my general point that YECs, when challenged with real information, invariably fold.

Hooberus posted a link to an article by one Jonathan Sarfati, http://www.answersingenesis.org/news/scientific_american.asp , where Sarfati purported to give a response to the article " ?15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense? by John Rennie (Editor), Scientific American. 287(1):78?85, July 2002; Feature article on Scientific American Web site, 17 June 2002." Sarfati's response is titled, "15 ways to refute materialistic bigotry: A point by point response to Scientific American" Now, a "point by point response", we normally assume, will show why each of the points being responded to is wrong. However, Sarfati actually admits that some of Rennie's points are correct, but dismisses them in various ways. Here are the points from the "Table of contents" for the linked article that Sarfati implies he refutes:

1. Evolution is only a theory. It is not a fact or a scientific law.
    2. Natural selection is based on circular reasoning
    3. Evolution is unscientific, because it is not testable or falsifiable.
    4. Increasingly, scientists doubt the truth of evolution.
    5. The disagreements among even evolutionary biologists show how little solid science supports evolution.
    6. If humans descended from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?
    7. Evolution cannot explain how life first appeared on earth.
    8. Mathematical impossibility
    9. The Second Law of Thermodynamics
    10. Mutations are essential to evolution theory, but mutations can only eliminate traits.
    11. Natural selection limits
    12. Nobody has ever seen a new species evolve.
    13. Evolutionists cannot point to any transitional fossils
    14. Living things have fantastically intricate features
    15. Life is too complex

Unfortunately for Sarfati's implied claim of refutation, he actually concedes four of Scientific American's points by admitting that YECs should not argue against them:

1. Evolution is only a theory. It is not a fact or a scientific law.
    2. Natural selection is based on circular reasoning
    3. Evolution is unscientific, because it is not testable or falsifiable.
    6. If humans descended from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Now let's look at several of Sarfati's specific responses.

10. Mutations are essential to evolution theory, but mutations can only eliminate traits. They cannot produce new features.

On the contrary, biology has catalogued many traits produced by point mutations (changes at precise positions in an organism?s DNA)?bacterial resistance to antibiotics, for example.

This is a serious mis-statement of the creationist argument. The issue is not new traits, but new genetic information...

Can Sarfati really believe that his readers are so stupid as to fail to understand that "new traits" are "new genetic information"? New traits, Sarfati's ignorance notwithstanding, are new genetic information because traits are determined by the genes.

13. Evolutionists cannot point to any transitional fossils?creatures that are half reptile and half bird, for instance.

Actually, paleontologists know of many detailed examples of fossils intermediate in form between various taxonomic groups.

Actually, Charles Darwin was worried that the fossil record did not show what his theory predicted:

?Why is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely-graduated organic chain; and this is the most obvious and serious objection which can be urged against the theory.?

More recently, Gould said:

?The extreme rarity of transitional forms in the fossil record persists as the trade secret of paleontology.?

But modern evolutionists, including Gould, assert that there are nevertheless some transitional forms, but they always seem to name the same handful of disputable ones, instead of the many that Darwin hoped for. It?s the same with Rennie below.

There are indeed undisputable transitional forms, YEC claims notwithstanding. They're "disputable" only in the minds of YECs who already 'know', through their interpretation of Genesis and the rest of the Bible, that all transitional forms are mere figments of the imagination of atheistic evolutionists. Even the icon of "Intelligent Design Creationism", Phillip Johnson, admits that certain claimed "transitional forms" are almost indisputably such.

One of the most famous fossils of all time is Archaeopteryx, which combines feathers and skeletal structures peculiar to birds with features of dinosaurs.

This hardly qualifies for a fossil ?intermediate in form?; it is more like a mosaic or chimera like the platypus.

What a moron. What does Sarfati expect but that a creature "intermediate in form" will display characteristics of both of the creatures that it's puported to be an intermediate between? That's the very definition of "mosaic" and "chimera". so, whether he realizes it or not, Sarfati has shown that some of his arguments are complete nonsense. If some are nonsensical, then all are suspect.

The above points show that my claim that "Sarfati's article is just horrible" is correct. I could deal with Sarfati's other claims point by point, but that would be guilding the lily. Hooberus has already shown, by his lack of response to my general claim, that for him, my trying to convince him of anything about this topic is "just pissing into the wind." Thus, ThiChi's claim is shown to be merely the infantile cry of a fledgling. Futhermore, the fact that neither ThiChi nor Hooberus will come up with anything resmbling a scientific refutation of anything I've said above proves the intellectual aridity of the climate in which they, as YECs, are required to live.

AlanF

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

AlanF

Hi Alan... I can see we had similar thoughts. Now, will ThiChi stand his ground and discuss this? Will hooberus ever refute or try to refute the plain simple evidence of a tree that Genesis is utter rot as regards a historical account? I wrote most of this off line before I'd read your post, thus the cross overs.

hooberus

That article on AIG about Scientific American.

In the first paragraph, from "Scientific American was founded by the artist and inventor Rufus Porter (1792?1884), who thought that science glorified the creator God..." too "the most recent two have diametrically opposed their founder?s original vision." in the second full paragraph after the quote, the writer of the article is using a combination of Argumentum ad antiquitatem (the original intent of the magazine was better), Argumentum ad verecundiam (regarding the original editor) and Argumentum ad hominem against the last two editors.

The writer of the article, wihout considering one fact regarding the theories being contrasted, seeks to create through fallacious reasoning an environment where the view he opposes is automatically assumed by the reader to be one of less worth or validiity.

Didn't you get enough of that kind of thing in the Borg hooberus?

From then on it gets even worse; the stuff about Forrest Mims doesn't mention;

• that he does not list any papers on creation on his website,
    • nor does he mention either the words 'creation' or 'creationism' on his website

.... so much for his own confidence in his abilities or qualifications as a Creationist...

• that his educational background is a Bachelor of Arts, Texas A&M University (major in government with minors in English and history)
    • that although he is an undoubted top rank scientist he has no experience or qualifications in the biological sciences, let alone in evolutionary biology

In prior conversation about the 'wood' at the Three Sisters you more or less conceded this that AiG can be sloppy with the way they present evidence and link to important information about claimed evidence.

Now, if I was interviewing a potential colmunist who was an expert on antique furniture who told me that (despite lack of experienece or qualifications) he had decided that almost every person who studied Shakespeare was wrong, I'd worry about their judgement.

Someone being able to oppose the conclusion reached by tens of thousands people whove devoted careers to the subject, let alone willing to reject hordes of evidence without actually having any real claim to knowledge of the subject would indicate their judgement would also be swayed by matters other than the facts supporting a theory.

AiG make someone probably not getting a job because they considered themselves competent to express a firm opinion on fields they had no real knowledge of (making them a liability as a columnist . "How much did you make up or guess this week?" is not something the editor of SA wants to ask memebers of his staff!) out to be discrimination rather than good judgement on the part of the interviewer.

When will you quit with AiG? Can't you see how they twist stuff to pursue their faith-based agenda? Truth need not hide.

Now, the AiG article objects to this;

? but the massing evidence from paleontology, genetics, zoology, molecular biology and other fields gradually established evolution?s truth beyond reasonable doubt.

... saying

This is a debate tactic known as ?elephant hurling?. This is where the critic throws summary arguments about complex issues to give the impression of weighty evidence,

Impression?! There IS weighty evidence. Go to a museum sometime.

... but with an unstated presumption that a large complex of underlying ideas is true,

That would be because the same general theory is supported by paleontology, genetics, zoology, molecular biology and other fields.

... and failing to consider opposing data, usually because they have uncritically accepted the arguments from their own side.

More fallacious argumentation.

But we should challenge elephant-hurlers to offer specifics and challenge the underlying assumptions.

And more hypocracy.... it's a summary argument, and is being criticised for not being a 1,874 page College Biology textbook. What Creationists seem to fail to discuss is how THE SAME GENERAL THEORY is supported by paleontology, genetics, zoology, molecular biology and other fields, and yet how Creationism finds fault with various findings of each of these fields, the extent of fault-finding depending on the species of creationism (YEC, OEC, ID). AiG object to a statement I am happy to defend point-for-point but make no comment on how their OWN model fails to fit ANY mainstream science!

But anyway, the actual points the article is responding come later...

The first three points AiG fundamentally agrees with Scientific American on.

Scientific American's Point 4 objects to this classic Creationist characterisation;

4. Increasingly, scientists doubt the truth of evolution.

Another Argumentum ad verecundiam, e.g. Fred Hoyle thinks x, so all the people who, unlike Fred, are actually evolutionary biologists or some other relevent discipline who disagree with him are wrong.

AiG then dance round the same hat the Dubbies do, and try to make it look like there's a silent majority of scientists who support Creationism but who are too scared to speak. They don't support this assertation in any way with facts, as there are none to support it.

5. The disagreements among even evolutionary biologists show how little solid science supports evolution.

AiG's argument is very twisted here. The disagreements amongst evolutionary biologists on detail underline the general acceptance of the general theory, as this is not generally disputed except by those who favour an unprovable supernatural mechanism. The response to this point on AiG says;

Quoting Gould was the perfectly honorable strategy of using a hostile witness.

Perfectly honourable? Well, if Bert thought Tracy killed Sid, would you call him to the stand because he said it was with a candlestick instead of a hammer? The difference of opinions in some areas doesn't dispute the 'murder', it disputes the details. Yet such disagreeemnts are presented in a light which casts doubt on the 'murder'.

And AiG's response to the Scietific American comment on this fail to engage with the above point I made about the same general theory being supported by many scientific disciplines whereas Creationist's finds fault with them ALL, plus loads of other scietific disciplines which again Creationists have to disagree with to one extent or the other.

AiG agrees with point 6.

Point 7 they thrash around over, ending up answering a scientific arguement with a presuppositionalistic one entwined with an ad hom; Scientists support evolution because they don't want to believe in god. Ranks right up there with the 'baby and the bathwater' for ignorance. These people have assumed they are right and modern science is wrong. Everything flows from that assumption, not from any sincere and unbiased examination of the facts.

Point 8 they ignore natural selection as a mechanism that explains the genetic content of current animals, but there are so many misconceptions imbedded in this part we could discuss that alone for days.

Point 9 is the old 2nd Law chesnut which AIG admit cannot be understood by many without specific training. They then seem to engage in a semantic debate to change the Law's meaning to suit them. They also fail to mention that amongst those who are trained and educated in the physics there is general agreeement that viewing the 2nd law as something that falsifies evolution is utter rot.

Point 10 is responded to by saying it's a mis-statement of creationist theory; I've heard it enough from Creationists to realise if this is so then many Creationists don't know enough about their own beliefs to argue them.

Point 11 is again an argument often presented by Creationisst, but AiG thinks they're wrong too... and Point 12, likewise is a classic oft-repeated creationist arguement that AiG also say is wrong. They also seek to create an impression that there is general agreements amongst Creationists ("See What is the Biblical creationist model?"), when in fact there is not, with the quasi-literalist OEC view contradicting the hyper-literalist YEC as much as the theistic ID view contradicts the quasi-literalistic OEC view.

Point 13 is again an oft-stated Creationist claim which AiG answer in part with Charles Darwins's views about the fossil record. A bit like answering a question about fuel cells in cars with a quote from the inventor of the internal combustion engine. AiG take the opinion on someone of the fossil record in it's very infancy as a reason why the vastly expanded fossil record of today cannot be relied upon. Utter rot.:

Point 14 hypocritically fails to address the presupositiuonalist belief in the existence of an entity without explanation, proof or cause, yet says that complex designs require a complex designer. An obvious and deep contradiction.

14. (argument by design) and 15 (irreducable complexity) are major discussion points in themselves, but the SA summaries fairly represent many Creationist's opinions. AiG's responses are rather dumb really;

Indeed, Gould agreed that Darwin was writing to counter Paley. This is another way of saying that he had an anti-theistic agenda

So, he's saying Darwin had an anti-theistic agenda, and then;

?see Darwin?s real message: Have you missed it? and my review of The Essence of Darwinism. This doesn?t stop many Churchian allies ?tugging the forelock? at every pronouncement made by him and his God-hating successors, who in return regard them as contemptuously as Lenin regarded his ?useful idiot? allies in the West.

... he makes his anti-atheist agenda very clear. Wouldn't it be nice to discuss the facts alone without fallacious arguments?

Oh, Kansas 1993 is something which you can search for. It's not even my own country's history. But AiG is partial, biased, fallacious; if that's your source of information well...

trumangirl

Any questions, ask.

"schools don't need to teach all the mythical accounts, just need to mention that there are some serious objections to evo."

Yes, but do they present the ID objections? The Biblical YEC or OEC objections? The Islamic Creationist objections?

Do they counter the teaching of sexual equality with mention of the opposite view, or the teaching of racial equality with mention of the opposite view? How about the views of a flat earth of a geocentric universe? Or teach how the prosecuters at the Salam trials weren't that bad as maybe they did get some witches? If so, a mention or detail? If so how much?

Just cause something has an opinion about a subject doesn't mean it should be taught.

JCanon would ask his Messiahness be taught!

Oroborus

Personally, I think that this is one area that Jehovah's Witnesses have stumbled upon that is probably closer to the real TRUTH, even if they are yet far off base. What I speak of is the JW view that the universe was created over millenia of millenia of years, that the earth, solar system, etc. are many billions of years old, that the basic order of life appeared (via Creation) on Earth over many millions of years and that Mankind is a very late arrival to the party.

It's not a JW idea, just one they borrowed. However the "mankind is a very late arrival to the party" bit is not supported by the evidence as man goes back way longer than Biblical time spans allow. However, you say that "On most Creationists: The vast majority of these are ignorant.", and then precede to duplicate many classic 'Creationist' errors assumptions and presuppositions. If you want I can go through them one-by-one.

• trumangirl
    trumangirl

Go for it abadon, I'm all ears! I want to know -

- what books show evidence (including photos) of these transitoinal forms.

- what about the improbability of the first living cell developing, surviving and reproducing, and the complex systems for life evolving by chance mutations? I've heard of the anthropic principle, but it seems to lead to the conclusion that the laws of probability are not laws at all, they just our human perception, and I can't accept that. And what about entropy? (order turns to disorder and decay with time and neglect).

You make a good point about schools, but really, would it be so bad if schools taught the outdated beliefs in the sense of drawing a comparison? They could mention the basic belief in a Creator, and the pantheistic idea, and if students want to study religions in university they can do so later on. Isn't evolution taught at a basic level in high school and then more detailed at tertiary level? Anyway this point doesn't matter much to me.

• Xander
    Xander
    what about the improbability of the first living cell developing, surviving and reproducing, and the complex systems for life evolving by chance mutations? I've heard of the anthropic principle, but it seems to lead to the conclusion that the laws of probability are not laws at all, they just our human perception, and I can't accept that. And what about entropy? (order turns to disorder and decay with time and neglect).

You miss the point. Again.

There WAS no 'first living cell'. You are starting from a conclusion - that a cell is the goal, and what steps are needed to make it. That's not how evolution works. You can't think "I want a Picasso painting" and hand a kid a crayon and a piece of paper. Of course you won't get what you are looking for! If you hand him a crayon and a piece of paper and say "Let's see what turns out"....you are now thinking much more like what evolution does.

The problem is that creationists start with the assumption that humans - as we are now - are the pinnacle of perfection, created in gods image, and the ideal biological form. The first two assumptions obviously irrelevant - consider. ARE humans the ideal biological form? Of course not! We are but one 'form' that 'works' - can reproduce successfully and dominate our environment. We aren't even ideal at that - FAR too much in our environment can kill us (our immune systems do not protect us from everything on this planet, alone), several pieces of our anatomy don't belong, etc. We are, even now, a transitory species.

As to that 'first organism'.....the very FIRST organism would not be anything near as complicated as a cell. Indeed, it's likely cells didn't arise for several million years into evolution.

The FIRST 'living thing' relevant to this discussion would be a self-replicating ribozyme sequence. Akin to a virus, really. (And we can, by the way, see these spontanously created in experiements). Given the size of a self replicating ribozyme (very small) and the size of the area capable of making it (the 'protein soup' of the early Earth's mostly-ocean surface), it is likely many, many different kinds of self replicating ribozymes started. Some were not very successful (required too complicated an environment to succeed in replicating in, were too delicate, etc), and some were. Those that were, obviously, kept replicating with genetic variances introduced. Some of these were more successful than others, etc. Soon we would have protein coats forming on some of them - those would obviously be more protected and be more successful at reproducing than those without, and would soon dominate the early oceans.

BTW, as to how likely this is, TalkOrigins explains:

Quite good actually. There are 1.6 x 10^60 possible 100 nucleotide sequences. In a primordial ocean of 10^24 litres with a nucleotide concentration of 10^-6M (reasonably dilute), assembling a 100 nucleotides sequences on clay al la Ferris [3] and assuming it takes a week to make a full sequence, then you can have produced roughly 1 x 10^50 sequences in a year! As it has been estimated that one in every 1 x 10^17 random RNA sequences is a high efficiency ligase [4], the chances of getting at least one self-replicating polymerase (or small self replicating assembly) is quite high.

Survival should be quite good, polynucleotides are quite stable (in the order of thousands of years), and there are no competitions to gobble them up, so a replicating ribozyme should come to dominate any lake or ocean it is in. With competition for resources, variants of the original ribozyme will come to dominate in certain environments.

Anyway, these simple self-replicating molecules continue to reproduce, getting more and more complicated (or, more specifically, having variations in the genetic makeup that add complications, sometimes successfully, and sometimes not, with those that have added complexity and are more successful than the original form out-reproducing them and taking over the local population). Note that in all cases, 'success', is STRICTLY defined as the ability to reproduce better than it did before. A 'more successful' organism has nothing to do with being 'closer to what we consider life' or 'close to becoming sentient' - 'success' is merely gauged by how well it reproduces.

Eventually, the complexity reaches a point where something we would recognize as a 'living thing' is reproducing along.

TalkOrigins (again) summarizes the problem graphically:

[Two views of abiogenesis]

Note that the real theory has a number of small steps, and in fact I've left out some steps (especially between the hypercycle-protobiont stage) for simplicity. Each step is associated with a small increase in organisation and complexity, and the chemicals slowly climb towards organism-hood, rather than making one big leap [4, 10, 15, 28].

Where the creationist idea that modern organisms form spontaneously comes from is not certain. The first modern abiogenesis formulation, the Oparin/Haldane hypothesis from the 20's, starts with simple proteins/proteinoids developing slowly into cells. Even the ideas circulating in the 1850's were not "spontaneous" theories. The nearest I can come to is Lamarck's original ideas from 1803! [8]

Given that the creationists are criticising a theory over 150 years out of date, and held by no modern evolutionary biologist, why go further?

Check out their site - it's a fountain of good information!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Hi truman girl...

Xander's thankfully covered one of your questions in detail as I am a bit busy today,,, as for the rest...

- what books show evidence (including photos) of these transitoinal forms.

Check the link here;

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transitional.html

... if you look at the references section you'll find what you're asking for.

- what about the improbability of the first living cell developing, surviving and reproducing, and the complex systems for life evolving by chance mutations?

Life doesn't evolve by chance mutation. Life forms experience chance mutations. Those mutations can have a postive, neutral, or detrimental effect on that life forms chances of passing genes on. If there is a positive effect, then the mutation that gives this is 'selected' by a process of elimination.

The mutations arise by chance, but the survival of mutations is determined by how they effect the 'fitness' of the life form.

'Bad' mutated genes don't get passed on. 'Good' mutated genes do. Thus any claim that life evolves by chance mutations is a misunderstanding of the apparent mechanism. Their occurance is chance, their survival isn't.

I've heard of the anthropic principle, but it seems to lead to the conclusion that the laws of probability are not laws at all, they just our human perception, and I can't accept that.

Our perceptions don't change probability. BUT if we are an organism that has adapted for life in a deep ocean volcanic vent, in a lightless environment with high temperatures, and were intelligent, we would be saying;

"It's obvious out environment is tailor made for us as if it were x or y different we would not exist. If the great Bappwidi-dop hadn't made the water highly sulpherous and 140 degrees Centigrade, life could not exist. Look at how lifeless the rest of the Univese we can see is!"

... just as some people essentially say

"Well, if we didn't live on a planet with this percentage oxygen at this distance from the sun ... (excetera) ... we would not exist."

It is true that even IF there was a one in a goffywhipwapquadrillion chance of, say, intelligent life happening, it would only be commented on if it DID happen. There would be no opportunity for the vacuum to say "See, I told you intelligent life was unlikely."

You make a good point about schools, but really, would it be so bad if schools taught the outdated beliefs in the sense of drawing a comparison? They could mention the basic belief in a Creator, and the pantheistic idea, and if students want to study religions in university they can do so later on. Isn't evolution taught at a basic level in high school and then more detailed at tertiary level? Anyway this point doesn't matter much to me.

There's a difference between tell and teach. People are told about theories that science has discarded as not fitting the evidence available, like geocentricism. They aren't taught about it. That's fine.

Remember, don't lump atheism and evolution together. Science can answer the questions about the likely development of this Universe and life better than mythical accounts. It cannot prove that there is no god, only that if there is one it probably used naturalistic mechanisms to make the world as it is today, as distinct from earlier mythic conceptions of creation.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    Zen nudist - We don't know anything about God's form (if God exists that is), so 'spirit' must be in another dimension surely? and we can't theorise about that. It would be like an ant trying to theorise about humans. All we can find out about is in the physical universe, and if the evidence shows that organic life couldn't have arisen by chance, then surely the logical conclusion is that 'something' or 'someone' intelligent had a hand?

by intellegent what does this mean exactly? something which has intellegence my magic? always just had it? did not need to develope it? surely if such could exist as a god, then it could exist as the universe in total without any god[s]...why not? the fact is that any god[s] did not create themselves and if nature can simply be intelligent, then no god[s] are required.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit