The reason I joined your forum...

by SwampThing 23 Replies latest jw friends

• SwampThing
    SwampThing

Thank you all for the time you took out of your day to offer insight and suggestions. I have learned a great deal form what you have shared with me, and I have done a bit more research on a couple of the suggestions made by KLS and Lady Lee.

KLS, thank you for the website addresses. I am currently reading "How to witness to Witnesses."

Lady Lee, I found a great link discussing "Cognitive Dissonance" which was very helpfol. For those interested, you can read about it here...

http://www.afirstlook.com/archive/cogdiss.cfm

Lisa, thank you for the definition of "jdubs." It almost sounds like a bomb the military would use...*smile*

FrenchBabyFace, I certainly appreciate your input. The realization that I had lost a friend certainly bothered me at first. However, I soon realized that it was better to find out now before wasting another 10 years being deceived.

Rocketman, I am sure you are correct in that there may be more going on here than meets the eye. I know of several things which have happened in this guy?s life over the past year which are certainly contributing to the situation. I did not list them here in public just in case someone from his congregation reads this forum and might put 2 and 2 together. However, it is the fact that his dependence on the church grows stronger and stronger as his world crumbles around him that causes me to ask my questions. At some point I would begin to question the advice I am getting from the church, if I were in his shoes. You know, it?s the old "what is the common denominator here" question.

Satanus, you raise a good question. However, contrary to the public stereotype of JW?s, I never got the sense during the past 10 years that he was trying to convert me. In fact, I used to kid with him that his church would be ashamed of him that after all the conversations we had regarding the bible, that I was still not convinced that the JW?s were for me.

Garybuss, of all the responses here, your?s is the most confusing. Perhaps you might elaborate?

Cyber-Sista, it?s funny you should say what you did. I used to question my friend with regard to his interest in discussions with me regarding politics given that he was not supposed to be interested in such things. It was almost as though his real self wanted to be involved in the world, but his religion prohibited it. It seemed to me at times that he was living out his desires through me. It was almost as though as long as a member of his church did not hear him discussing the things we discussed, he was safe.

Lehaa, thank you for the advice and for the welcome. I believe you may be correct. Once our troubles started, I canceled my dealing with the other JW?s who are associated with him, believing that to be the wisest decision at the time.

Obviously Secret, thank you for your input. I am trying to not let the loss of the friendship get to me. By coming here to this forum I believe I am taking positive steps in dealing with the situation.

Bikerchic, your advice reminds me of the creed I lived by back when I lived the biker lifestyle. That was many years ago. Maybe I have become naive over the years. Come to think of it, there are still several brothers I could call upon from my days of running the road on a ?54 Panhead who I know would show up if I needed them. It?s a pleasure to meet you...:)

Jwsons, you may be right. I have thought that very thing myself. However, it is impossible for me to communicate with him now as I believe I am getting the "shunning" treatment from him.

Growedup, thank you for the welcome.

Again, thank you all for making the effort to help me understand this situation. I will continue to read and try to educate myself regarding this religion. If you all don?t mind, I think I will stick around here for a while. You seem like a friendly bunch of people.

Swamp Thing.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

You seems to be very "serious" in what you are doing. Sur we will be glad to hear about, and having you sticking around ... We are talking about lots of things on here ...

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Hi Swamp,

Your story sounds almost exactly like mine.

One in particular became what I thought was a true and trusted friend. I was wrong. When things changed, they changed very quickly. It was like nothing I had ever experienced before in my life. The relationship went from talking several times per week dealing with both business and personal issues, to absolutely no communication at all. It was very, very strange.

My friend did the same thing. When I met him, he wasn't baptised and was irregular with studying and lived an untheocratic lifestyle. Then depression set in and turned back to the bible studies and got baptised. That was when everything changed.

Devon

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Swamp Thing,

I sent you a Private Message (PM)

Devon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit