The reason I joined your forum...

by SwampThing 23 Replies latest jw friends

• SwampThing
    SwampThing

Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone. You all know how to make a guy feel right at home. Thanks.

I guess I should tell you a little bit about myself. I?m not a JW, but I do know a little bit about the belief system. I?ve been closely involved with several JW?s over the past 10 years, mostly in business relationships. One in particular became what I thought was a true and trusted friend. I was wrong. When things changed, they changed very quickly. It was like nothing I had ever experienced before in my life. The relationship went from talking several times per week dealing with both business and personal issues, to absolutely no communication at all. It was very, very strange.

Several weeks ago I began to do some research on the net in an effort to understand more about the JW religion in the hope that I would understand more about what might be going through my old friend's head. This guy is very bright and I have always enjoyed our conversations. He has always seemed to respect my beliefs, and I respected his. He never pushed his beliefs on me, though many of our conversations were in fact bible studies. Over the past decade we have spent countless hours solving the worlds problems and discussing every issue under the sun.

About 8 or 9 months I saw him start to make some really bad decisions, some of the worst decisions I could imagine, both in his personal life and in his business dealings. Nearly overnight he changed from a man who I once admitted to my wife was the only person on the face of the earth I knew I could trust, to someone who will now, without a second thought, tell a complete and blatant lie. He has done this to me on a number of occasions now, even when he knows that I know the truth. As well, I have personally seen him lie to others who are involved in our business dealings. When I have confronted him regarding his lies, he just looks at me and says nothing. No matter how long I stare back, he says nothing about his lies.

None of this makes any sense to me, and that is what brought me to your forum. I?ve been trying to learn more about the inner workings of the JW religion, and if it might be beneficial for me to try and speak with the elders of this guy?s congregation. His religion is quite clearly the mainstay in his life, and it is what guides his every move. But from the outside looking in, it appears to be a religion which condones lying, breaking the law, as well as numerous other things which one would never associate with Christianity.

Any insight you all might share with me would be greatly appreciated. This guy is more than just a casual acquaintance to me or I would just blow it off and say "best of luck" to him. This is a guy who at one time was closer to me than my own brothers, though in hind-sight maybe the friendship was only in my mind, and not his.

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome.

Kind regards,

Swamp Thing

P.S. KLS, I would love to hear the story about the swampthing...

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Its hard for Jdubs to make really lasting friendships with non-Jdubs when they get it hammered into their ears four or five times a week that non-jdubs are going to be destroyed gruesomely pretty soon by their god (and that they are to rejoyce at this).

• kls
    kls

AHH, i see ,this mostly xjw forum has many knowledgeable people who can or will try to answer any questions you may have. As far as you talking to the Elders ,is it that you want to talk about his attitude ,decissions, or business dealings or all ?

• SwampThing
    SwampThing

gitasatsangha,

Thank you for the insight. What you've said makes a lot of sense. Will you please define "jdubs?"

Regards,

Swamp Thing

• SwampThing
    SwampThing

KLS,

Thanks for your response. It is clear to me that he will listen to what his church elders have to say, but ignores even the most reasonable logic from any non-JW. His actions over the past few months are about to hurt a lot of innocent people, people who have done things to cover for his bad decisions.

I won?t lie to you, at this point I could care less what course his life takes, and I know that is not a very Christ-like attitude. My concern right now is for the innocent people who are going to take the fall for his irresponsibility. Maybe soon I will get over the anger I feel towards him and offer him a hand in friendship.

Regards,

Swamp Thing

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Will you please define "jdubs?"

*waves hand wildly....I will I will...

I always wanted to tell someone what jdubs were.

First you start with Jehovah's Witnesses....then you shorten it to JW's ...then you say it real fast....J W

Or....J....DUB....U....or Jdubs....

get it.....

Lisa

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong....

• kls
    kls

If you really want to understand him and what he and the watchtower belief go to Quotes.com or Freeminds.Org, I am not trying to ignor your questions but here is a starting point.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

J-dub = J W (Dub from the W)

It is unlikely the elders will listen to you unless you can prove how his actions will bring reproach on them. They usually close ranks and say it is your word against his and since you are not one of them your motives will always be suspect over his.

Due to the mind control that all JWs are influenced by some seem to believe that lies told to non-believers are acceptable (they are taught unbelievers don't have a right to the "truth" however that is interpreted)

There is something called "cognitive dissonace" that pushes people to not be able to see the conflicts between their actions and their words or past and present behavior.

The Watchtower Society (WTS) has a strong history of rewriting history so few JWs even know the past history of the religion business. Since they are all under the influence of this rewriting it is very possible they do their own rewriting when it is convenient to them

Sorry you are going through this and welcome to the forum. There is much to learn

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Wow ... you got yourself into a weird relationship - (he did many hours on your head - you brought a lot to him - many bible studies ...) but of course, maybe something bigger was there ... but you have to know that something EVEN BIGGER leads him, bigger than the feeling you think you shared together (or alone in your head) MEANS : the feelings for himself, to the point to cheat on god's principles and you at the same time in front of you and GOD ! (IT'S BIG)

I don't know if this guy worth your effort ... You seems to be a good guy and well ... it doesn't smell good ... think about it for good before any involvment/action.

For now maybe the only thing you can do for him without getting too much involved (because it is his problem - first) is to STAY OPEN ... but stay straight when it's time to protect yourself but and give him some hints little by little (but not in the straight way) from time to time about his "kind of" psycho troubles (he is not totally responsible, it helps to be understood, to talk and open the mind), that he needs to be in peace with himself, that he have to understand that somehow he is sick and he won't be able to progress this way (it's about him) he wants to progress anyway for him or for God (but maybe most for him about God - lol and not) or this can also lead to deep depression even suicide (what does he have to win that way ? ... NOTHING !!!)

But don't put yourself too much into it (preserve yourself) cause as you can see he is programmed to cheat on others for himself (selfcentered). and too sick to get over it and get a balance because of his "incoherents involvments" and this for incoherent feelings ... he have to take a nape on the religious side ... slow down on it ! first (not a big deal - you still can give him some hours ... ? LOL if he is a good guy for real ...)

Best wishes ! take care

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Oh I'm late : didn't read you don't care about him (so I guess you've got the picture you need to get over the relationship loss) ... Good !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit