A House Built on Fallacies

by Farkel 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    In another, it cited a newspaper which stated how much earthquakes have increased in the 20th century. It turns out that the newspaper's source for its information was taken from the Awake! magazine!)

That's hysterical. I once asked my JW friend why the Awake and WatchTower magazines have very little references...they told me that it is to save space, but that "references were available upon request"... (I kid you not.. it sounded like a resume).

• mustang
    mustang

Good show, Farkel!!!

This was on my list to track down. Thanks you for saving me the legwork

Mustang

• Smoldering Wick
  • Kenneson
    Kenneson

Marvin,

That sounds like a re-creation rather than a resurrection.

• kls
    kls

Wow Farkel, it sounds worse put into a list and is all grouped together. Mind boggling

• detective
    detective

Great list! thanks. It's always good to understand a little bit more of what to expect when tangling with Tower reasoning!

• TD
    TD

Great topic Farkel,

Another thing I've noticed about JW's is that when they are caught using one or more of these fallacious devices they dismiss the rules of logical argumentation as some sort of juvenile code of conduct for a high school debate team.

It doesn't matter what the subject is though. If you resort to this kind of bullshit in a paper, you run a very good chance of having the professor tear you a new one right in front of the entire class. These aren't rules of debate, they're rules of rational thought. Without them, we would still be in the dark ages.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**"Sister Jones wanted to pioneer, but didn't have a car, so she prayed to Jehovah for help. Within 2 weeks she had herself a car. So you see, Jehovah does answer our sincere prayers." (While Pioneer Sister Jones was praying for a car, Pioneer Sister Smith was praying for her life right before she was brutally raped and murdered.)

This business of prayer ALWAYS confused me. The WTS plays it both ways. When a JW's prayer "isn't answered"---it's a "no". When one IS answered, it means Jehovah had blessed them.

And of course, we ALL know, that Jehovah doesn't even HEAR the prayers uttered by nonJWs!

**Opponent: "None of your JW predictions have come to pass."

**dub: "The Bible says that there would be many ridiculers in the last days, and people like you prove the Bible to be true."

I just pointed this out to someone today, on another forum---that "not ONE of the dates for the "end" has come true---and that this makes the WTS a false prophet.

His answer to me was.........."just because it hasn't happened YET---does not mean that the WTS was wrong!It meant that this will still happen in the future---so the WTS "hasn't been wrong yet"!

I'm STILL shaking my head over that one, LOL!

Great post, BTW, Fark!

hugs,
    Annie

• the mole
    the mole

great piece....you get a B in logic class.....i think the slippery slope, ad hoc and ad hominem are the big three the org uses to trick the weak minded

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Thank you, Farkel!

Great post. I have wanted this sort of a logical fallacy 'cheat sheet' for some time. How cool that you made one!

Thanks for the time you put into this.

This should be one of the posts that all newbies read.

These aren't rules of debate, they're rules of rational thought.
    TD, so true! --yet, so hard for JWs to understand...

-LisaBObeesa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit