Which books.......

by Lehaa 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Which books helped you when you first left the JW organisation?

And if in Australia, where can i get them?

Also what exactly does "the borg" mean? Sorry blonde newbie.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

Hi Lehaa

Welcome to the board. Great post. I was also thinking of starting a thread about book recommendations. I've only read Ray Franz Crisis of Conscious and highly recommend it. I literally couldn't put it down. It was very disturbing though - lots of irrefutable information.

Looking forward to checking back on this thread.

• Mulan
    Mulan

The Borg is a term from the old Star Trek, Next Generation TV show about a colony of robots.

It also is a contraction of Brooklyn Organization.

Any other descriptions, anyone???

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Welcome to the board Leehaa!

The first book you should find is Crisis of Conscience, by Ray Franz. It essentially tells of the in workings of the Governing Body, and of Ray Franz's experience of leaving the Body, Bethel and disfellowshipment. It was extremely eye-opening for me.

I also recommend Why You Should Believe in the Trinity by Robert Bowman. Though it is slanted to proving the Trinty doctrine, what I found impressive was how he author demonstrated how the WTS is extremely sloppy in their "scholarship", or just plain deseptive in attempting to "disprove" a commonly held doctrine of "Christendom."

The term "Borg" is a refererence to the Borg Collective from Star Trek: The Next Generation. They are aliens that assimilate other life forms into their collective to attain "perfection." They have no individual personalities, and exist to only serve the Collective. It is a very striking parallel to the rank-and-file JWs.

All of these, I'm sure can be found on E-bay.

LABD

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Thought that's what "the borg" meant, I'm a big Star Trek fan myself.

Thanks for the tip on Ebay, never thought of that. Ta.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I never really read any books about the witnesses which helped me leave. I've found plenty of helpful books, but never really used one to help me leave. But websites were kinda helpful, specifcially Randy Watter's page (freeminds.org), the old H2O board, and the documents at AJWRB. I knew after reading AJWRB that I did not ever want me or my kids to have a blood transfusion. For awhile I really believed that the JWs could be reformed from within, but I don't think that's a vehicle worth fixing now (if it even could be, which I doubt).

Some books though, which are interesting, and which you might like:

Miracle of Mindfullness, by Thich Nhat Hanh (Witnesses were never really explained how to live within the moment, as they are always looking ahead for a future and looking over their shoulders to the past.This is a book of thoughts and simple idea to try by a person who has dedicated his life to living in the present moment).

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Harlan Ellison. If that doesnt describe how we feel when insiide the Borg, I don't know what. Sometimes when you are at your lowest, it helps to realize, maybe you aint alone.

Tao Te Ching: Lao Tzu. Change your mind.

• Deleted
    Deleted

Ray Franz' Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom (definitive works on what went on at the WTS) Karen Armstrong's History of God (good background information on Jahve the volcano god) Elaine Pagel's Origin of Satan (good background information on the environment 1st century christianity came from) WTS' The Finished Mystery (1917, off the web - 1500 embarassing "errors") M Scott Peck's The Road Less Travelled (new age christianity) Freeminds.org (great history lessons)

• prgirl79
    prgirl79

Crisis of Conceience and in Search of Christian Freedom by Ray Franz

How to Combat Cult Mind Control Steve Hassann

Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness Watchtower:Escape from the Watchtower society by Diane Wilson

Gentile Times Reconsidered by Carl Jonsson

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Borg:

In "Star Trek: The Next Generation" the Borg is a
    species of cyborg that ruthlessly seeks to incorporate all sentient
    life into itself; their slogan is "Resistence is futile. You will
    be assimilated." In hacker parlance, the Borg is usually
    Microsoft, which is thought to be trying just as ruthlessly to
    assimilate all computers and the entire Internet to itself (there is
    a widely circulated image of Bill Gates as a Borg). Being forced to
    use Windows or NT is often referred to as being "Borged".

Fount the above definition in the dictionary.

DY

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

The Bible!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit