Woohoo... I had a great day in family court yesterday!!!

by outbutnotdown 28 Replies latest jw friends

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

My ex-wife and I were to start our custody/equalization trial yesterday but due to time constrictions we had a settlement conference instead and it is OVER!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Financially, I will end up having to pay $5,000.00 more than what I should.. (only because my ex lied about a few things) but I get JOINT CUSTODY of the kids now. Up until yesterday she had interim sole custody but it is now JOINT!!! Can you tell that I am happy?

I accomplished another great thing too. My ex hates the JW religion... she was raised in it but hasn't gone in about 5 years. However, her mother has been taking all the kids to the hall, against my wishes, for quite a few years. My oldest son, Brandon (almost 10 years old) has really been sucked into it and hates me right now because of the nasty things that his grandmother has said to him about me. He has also been taught, of course, that Daddy is from Satan, since I am not a JW.

Here's the big thing: The judge ordered that Brandon be weened off of the meetings and that within one year from yesterday he is no longer allowed to attend meetings. The judge also warned my ex that NO ONE is to let Brandon know what is happening, particularily her mother, so that she can't twist even more, his already messed up mind..... the poor guy.

I am so proud of myself for being able to bring it to the judges attention in a fair and calm manner, so that he was able to see the benefit of getting Brandon out of there. I would like to thank all here who have given me advice..... (which I used ) and for websites like www.freeminds.org for all the information and advice that I got from it as well. Thanks to Randall Watters and others.

Here's to a new beginning for my children, especially my oldest son.

Also, if I can help anybody else who is in a similar situation, feel free to ask or PM me.

Brad

• Mulan
    Mulan

That is great news. Congratulations. Wonder how the grandmother's elders will spin that news?

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Fabulous News Brad!! Congratulations. Family Court is a stressful thing, it's great to see a compromise

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

WOO-HOOO!!!!!!!!!!! That is so awesome!! ((((obnd))) I am so happy for you!

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Congrats

I certainly wish you and your children the best.

I had a similar thing happen to me. I sent my son to visit his grandparents in New Mexico. About two days after he came back he came to me with tears in his eyes saying that he did not want me to die at Armeggedon. I ask him where he learned that word from, and he said, "From Granddad." I then had to explain to him that it wasn't true, a point that my then JW wife agreed with me on. We never sent him back to visit by himself again.

LABD

• Mary
    Mary
    The judge ordered that Brandon be weened off of the meetings and that within one year from yesterday he is no longer allowed to attend meetings. The judge also warned my ex that NO ONE is to let Brandon know what is happening, particularily her mother, so that she can't twist even more, his already messed up mind..... the poor guy.

I am VERY happy for you and I'm really shocked at the judge's ruling about your son not being able to attend meetings. The only thing I would caution you about, is your ex-mother-in-law. If she's a loyal Dub, she might not give a damn what the judge says and might tell your son (since dubs think they're above men's laws). Your son will eventually come around, no doubt, but I would see if you can get restrictions on this woman having any access to your son at all.

• Special K
    Special K

out but not down..

Awesome news! Just fabulous news!

I'm just so so happy for you and especially your 10 year old son.

What a smart, smart judge you got there.. and in Canada , Wowsers...

I can definitely think of a couple of posters who will be wanting to talk to you...

again this is the best news I heard all day.

sincerely

Special K (of the canadian kind)

• talesin
    talesin

This is good news, indeed. I'm so happy for you! At least we have come to a point where children are not ripped from their father's love.

And, yes, what a decision. That is something else. Good for you for keeping your cool. That must have been so difficult at times. I can only imagine.

LABD How dare they try to manipulate your child! grrr

tal

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Good to go bravo mate Rave

• franklin J
    franklin J

hey Brad,

I am happy that you have joint custody of your kids; the $5000 additional seems a small price to pay.

As for your mother in law.....life will ""take care of her ( look at what religion she is in) and your children will grow up to see the score and understand.

I also have a 10 year old boy; it is a very impressionable; vulnerable time for them.

regards and be well, frank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit