Steve and Joys Excellent Adventure

by jst2laws 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

We are BROKE DOWN. Three days into our trip and we had a blow out on a front tire while Joy was driving at 63 mph. She got us stopped and we started phone calls to get back going again.

So no problem, right. First it is Sunday. But we looked up 24 hr truck tire services on our road atlas program, used the internet (online through cell phone as modem) but no one carries this odd truck tire. "Maybe we can get you one in a day or two, Call back tomorrow during store hours". "But we are on the side of an interstate highway and can't even drive to an RV park" which is true. But we unhitched the car, we can go get a motel if we have to.

Well we are waiting now for a tow truck, the big one for eighteen wheelers. He is going to drag us to the nearest RV park where we will stay as long as it takes to get a tire. Oh well, it just sets us back a little on our intended schedule, but its part of the adventure. I try to look at everything that happens as an adventure.

Meanwhile we aren't exactly suffering. Joy is asleep on the couch after we both had lunch (frig, microwave, air-conditioning running off the generator) and I'm online dumping on my friends.

We still hope to get to Tennessee late Monday or Tuesday. We will keep in touch.

Jst2laws

Ps, trying to upload pictures but it is not working so far.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Hope you two get back on the road again quickly !! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us !! Stay safe out there !!!

Hugs at ya both !!!

XW

• talesin
    talesin

That was dangerous, blowing a front tire at that speed. Joy must have some serious driving skills there. Phew!

Yes, it is all part of the adventure. That's my philosophy about road trips as well. I'd be willing to bet this little unplanned rest stop will yield some pleasurable experiences with your fellow campers and/or the locals. Enjoy. :D

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If you have a chainsaw and a drill kit, you can make an acceptable spare using an appropriately circumferenced hardwood indiginous to the part of the world you are stranded in (hope it's not NM or AZ). You'll need to use the rear axle as a makeshift lathe of course, or have Joy spin the tree trunk on the front hub while letting the chainsaw do the work of fragging the wood.

Happy trails from Six ~ the Survivors McGuyver

Review of things that sound dirty in the above post:

appropriately circumferenced hardwood

use the rear axle

have Joy spin the tree trunk

fragging the wood

letting the chainsaw do the work

• patio34
    patio34
    Well we are waiting now for a tow truck, the big one for eighteen wheelers. He is going to drag us to the nearest RV park where we will stay as long as it takes to get a tire. Oh well, it just sets us back a little on our intended schedule, but its part of the adventure. I try to look at everything that happens as an adventure.

What an admirable attitude, really for all of life! Congrats on your philosophy, Jst2Laws.

Good thing Joyzabel kept her cool and everything was safe.

This reminds me of what I read once: "A thousand miracles happen every day." The author meant that most of the time everything goes right. It's when it goes wrong we notice. So you have a great attitude about the times things go wrong.

Hi Talesin!!

Hugs to all,

Pat

• Scully
    Scully

Glad to hear that you're both safe!!

Enjoy your vacation and can't wait to see the pictures when you get them working.

Love, Scully

• patio34
    patio34

Lol @ Six!

That reminds me!! I almost forgot. Yesterday, while on a walk, I saw a sign that read:

___________ (name of my town) Endoscopy

1st Floor, Rear Entrance

Noun1.

endoscopy - visual examination of the interior of a hollow body organ by use of an endoscope

(This is often a colonoscopy )

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Good news and bad news,

Good news, After an hour and half wait the tow truck showed up. Bad News, he just left without us. We are too big for his rig. He can pick up the tractor front of an eighteen wheeler and drag it, but cant pick up the front of our motor home, too heavy.

We have contacted another towing service who says they can do it. Waiting for them to call back because they have a couple used tires off a burned motorhome they think may fit.

Thanks for the comments too, once the phone calls are done and we know more we can chat better.

Jst2laws

• patio34
    patio34

Good luck with the other towing company! I hope things work out soon. It looks like a pretty area, albeit not a rest stop. Please keep us posted.

Pat

• Mulan
    Mulan

How awful for you! Brings back memories of our cross country trips, going to NY for big conventions in '53 and '58, and Dad pulling a trailer. Everything that could go wrong, did. I was pretty young for it to phase me, but I remember Mom being terribly upset about some of our delays.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit