Latest Watchtower study... Still discouraging higher education!!!

by Doubtfully Yours 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• logansrun
    logansrun

Doubtfully,

A simple HS diploma won't get you a full earning potential. There needs to be some other compliment to that HS diploma. Perhaps not necessarily college, but something else.

Trades schooling (air conditioning, plumbing, electrician, etc.), or EMT/paramedic/Fire school will get you money and a career that you may love and be willing to stick with for life.

The WT has insinuated for years that some type of training (like a trade school) is necessary. Read the Young People Ask book (from 1989) and they talk about this.

Cleaning portable toilets and the like sure gives money, but who the hell would be content with that shitty job???!!!

It's about job satisfaction, my friend. Perhaps the reason why you're using your window cleaning earnings to go to college. All about job satisfaction!!!

You're missing the point. If you truly believed the WORLD IS GOING TO END "job satisfaction" would not be that important. I know the JWs have said this for over 100 years, but many current JWs do hold this apocalyptic furvor. If I held such beliefs I wouldn't care what I did either. Discouraging getting a university education (for self-actualization purposes) is only a corrolary problem to the JWs insane ideas about the end of the world. If the Witnesses did not believe that Armageddon is coming they would probably not hold such views of higher education.

Yes, I'm going to college for career satisfaction. It's not even really about the money.

I've plenty of friends that make way more money than I do, but their jobs are awful! And here I am dealing with real life issues, meaningful stuff, awesome educated people, great environment; I've found a career/job I really love! What got me here?! An education further than just my HS diploma, thank you very much!

Furthering education is necessary, absolutely necessary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sigh* I'm happy for you and hope to do the same. But you're really missing my point.

By the way, there are always exceptions to almost every rule. By and large, college is necessary in today's world. But I wouldn't say "absolutely necessary." But that's just my pedantic nature.

Be well,

Bradley

• Jasmine
    Jasmine

Logan - I completely agree with your posts in this thread...

They simply don't see the benefit of "excelling" in a world that they believe is on it's last legs....

Many bros I knew owned their own window cleaning businesses and did very well for themselves.

I agree that education is key in today's business world but when it comes to religion, just because a person doesn't go on to university does not make them a blind robot. I know many high school grads, who although not having formal teaching, lead very fulfilling lives, are intelligent and can think for themselves.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Just for the record:

I have met some college graduates that are so shallow they're practically on dry land. I've also met people who have never set one foot in a university and are quite educated. Ever hear of the term "self-made-man"? (or woman?)

To say that just because someone has a blue-collar job or has never gone to school past the legal requirement is "uneducated" seems to be a sweeping statement that is just plain wrong.

Bradley

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

You be well also, Bradley.

I do understand why they act the way they do. It's just frustrating that with so many failures throughout the years, so much disillusioned expectancy they'd change their view point.

I'm of the thinking that, if the end of this system does come like they continuously predict, then great!!! You know how many people would stop suffering?! It'd be great really for many poor souls. But, if it doesn't, like it hasn't yet, then we must all make the best of what we've got now in this system.

DY

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    this young lad joined his father as a window cleaner so that he could continue in a more worthwhile work of pioneering.

I had a window cleaning business for a few years and made great money. I learned a lot about sales, running a business, taxes, and accounting as well. But it can take its toll on a guys body after a while. I had some injuries because of it, and all the window cleaners I know over 40 years old now suffer from bad knees, bad backs, or repetitive stress injuries.

It's a business that is relatively inexpensive to get in to, you can make good money doing it, and you can learn a lot about business, as well as make many valuable contacts. But it's not something I would choose to do for a very long time.

As for the pioneer work being worthwhile, been there, done that. I think I'll go vomit now.

Walter

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

Logan...I agree...

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

Logan, I agree...as a matter of fact, I had a conversation with my father, I said, I want to be able to do more in education...I want to be happy doing a job at something I love to do.....his only response was 'this world is temporary'....well, their temporary is lasting a little too forever for me.....

The whole JW mentality is that this world isn't going to last much longer, to take a menial job and pursue a career in the ministry, well, that's what they think is best in this system until the 'New Order' when God will make everyone happy and fulfilled.

I could sit and be bitter about the past and not getting a better education....but in reality, I thought that way too, I thought by pursuing spiritual things first that was what was important, and everything is else is secondary. I'm just glad now, that I don't think that way.....they're never going to change their views on higher education....because that would mean that they don't believe the 'New System' is so near anymore.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Furthering education past a HS diploma won't hurt.

May certainly help in the most important field of, repeat all after me..., job satisfaction.

Stop fighting it already!

DY

• garybuss
    garybuss

This is a religion. It only has one product to sell . . . . itself! If it were rational and objective and advised it's customers to do the behaviors that most benefit the customer, it would not be a religion. Religions are supposed to give irrational advise. Belief in gods and ghosts and giving bad advise is what makes them a religion.

What would the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation print if not directions to further the goals and success of the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation? ALL their efforts MUST go to furthering their own best interests. A book publishing business needs to promote it's products and a book publishing business that fronts as a religion needs to promote product distribution and keeping the downlines growing and functioning. Window washers by day.....book distributors by nights is what the book publishing corporation needs and wants. I can't imagine them giving any OTHER advise but to serve them.

Thanks for confirming the nature of the corporation.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

What's it with JWs and WINDOW CLEANING??? I knew a Bethelite who supposedly did that as well. Why of all mediocre professions is that one always mentioned?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit