Do you trust JW's?

by desib77 29 Replies latest jw friends

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I would trust em about as far as I could throw em...

Picture this, Sicily 1922....

oops, wrong tangent...

Picture this, Minnesota, 1985, young pioneer Brother (Me), buys a Big 4 door car for field service for 1,500.00, a sh*t load of money for a reg. pioneer who cleaned a bowling alley for a living....Within a few weeks, the lifter breaks. Wonderful Brother mechanic looks it over and declares that it would need new engine, and would cost more to fix it than it was worth. Brother mechanic offers to buy the car from Reg. Pioneer Brother for 50.00, saying that he would scrap it out for parts, since it was so far gone. Naive pioneer Brother (Still me) trusts Brother Mechanics words, and sells the car to him for 50.00. 2 weeks later, Car miraculously is running, and was being driven by another brother in the cong. that had their Sunday meetings right after ours. Guess the selling price????? 1,500.00!!! A lot of people in my Cong. were pis*ed, to say the least, and guess who had to take on a catering job, along with the cleaning job, in order to afford another 4 door car for service. Sick Bastaaaaads!!!

• desib77
    desib77
    Because how in the hell do you fire a dub? Especially if they're in your own congregation????

Good point.

• micheal
    micheal

I really think it depends on the person. If the individual is cool and there is a decent, mature responsible relationship with that person, it doesn't matter what religion they are.

That said, jw's who worked for other jw's often have felt that they could get away with much more than working for a non-witness.

• baysixforme
    baysixforme

Unfortunately because of my own experience, I have difficulty in trusting males wearing suits and ties. I also initially tend to mistrust females in the garb that is so often worn by J.W. women.

I tend to view the outward appearances of such individuals as a veneer that masks an ugly interior.

I do realise that my perceptions are based entirely upon stereotypes of those that hurt and betrayed my family...but this reaction, now I suppose is a built in protection from further potential damage.

Sounds quite sad when my thoughts are put into words like this, but I'm afraid that is what my own personal experience has done for me.

Bay64me

• dh
    dh

not really, there are a couple of jw's i still consider as friends, even though i may only see them once every couple of years, i will trust them because i know them, but i would not generally trust a jw because they are a jw, no way.

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

Lol I must have been raised in the good JW country. All of the JWs I know are crazy hard workers, and they never preach more than in field service. Alot of witnesses wouldn't want to witness more than they have to ya know. However, I don't doubt that there's crazy JWs. Infact... thinking about it, I've seen plenty of crazed JWs. Weird thing is "worldlies" can be just as dumb and lazy. So I don't really descriminate in that sense, unless their religion are the "Lazy and Dumb People of God" unless they got that name I'd judge em as lazy right off the bat. But heh just not everybody in one group is like that.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Personally, I would be uncomfortable with anybody who deliberately uses Religion to get something of a material nature, including a job.

For example, I know a guy who advertises to buy antiques and collectibles from Old People. Whenever he visits someone in their homes to look at stuff, he always begins with a Prayer. He's not one bit religious!

• heathen
    heathen

Lmao@ the lazy dumb people of God . I can't speak for all of them either but I tell ya that title would fit some of them to the tee . I don't care who you are or where you came from but I think it hard to find one of those conscientious hard working types . The dubs talk about doing unto others as you would have others do unto you alot but when it comes to living in the realitiy of it I think they have as hard of time as anyone . I also notice alot of emotional and mental breakdowns amongst those in the religion . Many talk about depression and not being able to work around others that use foul language .(which is about 99% of the people I've ever worked for). I agree that talking about religion in the work place is not a good work ethic.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Individual Merit System seems fair to me.

However....

Anecdotal Example of how JWs can be very dishonest and fraudulent: My friend Dave (also xJW) worked in sales for a Brother/Elder's small business (this was circa 1990).

After several months of weak sales, it was time (as per the contract) for Dave to switch from "Base salary plus commision" to "straight commission". Only problem was, there was precious little in sales commission for Dave to live on.

Dave couldn't live on $0.00 commission for, perhaps, several more months as the lenghty sales cycle continued; he was going to have to QUIT his job and get another.

NOT SO FAST!!!!

The OWNER/ELDER suggested a solution: he agreed to LAY OFF Dave so he could collect Unemployment Insurance from the government. Of course, the LAY OFF would be bogus, and Dave would still work their, collecting "pogey" to pay the bills while working on the next bit sale.

Not only did the OWNER/ELDER suggest the ILLEGAL, FRAUDULENT acctivity, he told Dave that he had done it himself in the past: lay himself off from his own corporation, then collect pogey while still, in fact, continuing to work at his own corporation.

That elder's son is also a back-stabbing SOB, but the story of him "turning in" our supposedely private communications as evidence of apostacty, although another example of dishonesty, is a story for another thread.

~Quotes, of the "never collected pogey" class

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I would have to say that "trust" depends on the individual JW......whoever he or she may be. My experiences in losing trust in them is:

A cousin of mine who was a JW long before me and who I admired as a person made it real big in the vacuum cleaner business. Another "brother" who was in the concrete business made him a proposition to repair his porch steps in trade for a new Kirby complete with all attachments. Now in the 1970's this package would have sold for something like $600 or more. The "brother"got the vacuum but my cousin never saw the steps repaired.

In 1986 my father-in-law died and one of my fellow elders talked my mother-in-law into selling him a lot of good power tools and hydraulic tools along with some antique railroad items. I was there when he told my MIL how much he thought these items were worth and I told her that this was a good deal for her. Guess what? She only saw $40.00 an was supposed to get several hundred. My two meally mouth brothers-in-law didn't want to confront this elder.......wanted to just let it go.........NOT ME! I have a reputation of sticking up for those I care for.......and I let my fellow elder have it verbally. I told him in not too kind of a way that he was no different than a thief stealing this stuff. He tried to "reason" his way out by saying that after thinking about it, he thought he offered too much. It seems he can conveniently forget about "letting your yes mean yes" This is the same elder that I threw out of my house 8 years ago.

In 1984 when all the steel mills were closing around Pittsburgh and I lost my job, I started my own business. 3 years later I was able to get a real good job with a major company and turned my business along with the equipment for free to a young struggling to make a living "brother". I had him working with me for a few months before this so he knew how to do the business. What did he do? In less than a month I got a call from a customer about him just walking off and not finishing the job. This was quite a contract and I told the person that so and so is now the contractor that I had given it up. When I questioned the "brother" about it he was hem hawing like crazy and said he doesn't really want to do this kind of work. The A...Hole would rather be back on assistance! I asked hime to return the equipment since he didn't want to do this work. The jerk said he left everything at the job, that he was too overwhelmed to get it..........Guess what? I never saw that equipment again.

Would I have a JW work for me? NO. Would I trust a JW? See my first sentence. I guess I will always forgive and forget (at least try) even now that I am no longer an elder or JW but a Christian. A Christian who is happy and at peace.

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit