Steve Irwin attempts to justify feeding croc with baby in hand.....

by desib77 26 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

I just can't think that putting a baby anywhere near a croc. could be okay. It doesn't matter how well you know animals the fact is that you can never completely predict what will happen.

Earlier I used the example of Roy Horn and his tiger. I know that he never would have imagined that happening. He probably would have even thought that he new his tigers so well that he could have brought his own child out there (don't think he has any but this is hypothetical). What if he had taken a child out there on the day of his attack. A baby would not have survived that.

It isn't that I think he is a bad father. I just think the he feels too comfortable with the animals. I would hate to see something happen to his baby because he had forgotten that they truly are "wild" animals.

• little witch
    little witch

No I was not quoting him verbatim, rather his ideas.

I was thinking along the lines of actors who become famous and thus their children, not because acting ability is passed along by gentetics but that some believe fame begets fame.

To wit, Marlon Brando's son is a nobody, Judy Garlands daughter is, until Judy died and Liza lossed her base.

You cannot pass on your talent by way of dna is my point. Do some succeed? yes, but they never measure up to the original. The ones that do end up fighting for their own identity and worth and do not want to be seen as an extention of their parents.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I believe this was debated here when the whole thing first hit the press (sorry, for the bold)

For Steve Irwin, who is around Crocs nearly everyday, it was probably just another day. Sometimes when we do something all the time don't realize how other people might react.

I, for part of my childhood, grew up on a horse ranch. So, I was around horses most of the time. My parents owned the ranch, and so, having animals around all the time was normal for me.

As a child I was: thrown and dragged ( I was 10 and quite injured) by a very expensive, well trained show horse

bitten so many times I forget (various horses)

kicked in the head (ouch)

Horses falling on me

Having my little feet stomped on so many times I couldn't even begin to count

witnessed seriously injured horses having to be shot

And those are the ones I come to the top of my head.

I was never pushed by my parents. I loved every minute of it.

It's also normal for the kids to become involved in what the parents do for a living. That's doesn't mean they are expected to follow in the parents footsteps.

• Simon
    Simon
    witnessed seriously injured horses having to be shot
    was never pushed by my parents. I loved every minute of it

Yeah, I'm not really keen on horses either - shoot 'em all !!

kicked in the head (ouch)
    And those are the ones I come to the top of my head

Y'know you could have memory loss ?!

Just kidding with ya ... the comments just made me smile

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I have sympathy for him and also find the whole thing so damn funny because of the lack of perspective displayed in the media coverage, and some of the reactions, to the baby and croc story.

First of all, he's a professional, and all of a sudden everybloody one is an experts. Which is bloody funny considering most anyone's knowledge is limited to the Discovery Channel which is at times largely the same thing as out enthusiastic Conlonial cousin.

Second, by all appearances he's a good dad. I mean you can see just how much they hate having all those animals around them as they grow up.

My daughters weep to think of the lives they must lead. Oh, yes, that would be tears of envy.

Third, maybe it wasn't as close as it looked on the TV coverage.

But all of a sudden the poor bastard gets compared to a rather dodgy popstar who has had a number of children with various paid brood mares, at least some of whom look as thought they have as much African-American in them as I do, let alone the other things the poor sad lonely bugger may or may not have done.

It's an utterly invalid comparison.

And all this bullshit takes away from the column inches and 4" attention spans that could cover the very real harm that befalls children in our societies right around the corner from where you live.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

whoops...

• little witch
    little witch

Well, it seems logical to me that if one makes his or her living based on public persona that you are both the recipient of fame and the victim of such fame.

You cant live forever in the public eye enjoying the bounty of spin without having it come back on you soon or later.

Such is the price of celebrity. I am sure the millions they make can stand up to some criticism when the celebrity makes an ass of themselves.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I realise they get the unfair knocks in such visable ways because of their fame.

But I don't think that obvious fact justifies swallowing media hype and vapid sensationalism.

Use the media, don't let it use you.

8-)

• avishai
    avishai

BABY!!!! It's whats for dinner!!!

BABY!!! the other, OTHER white meat!!!!

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....ribs.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Wait a minute, wait a minute! Do they have Republicans in Australia?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit