Steve Irwin attempts to justify feeding croc with baby in hand.....

by desib77 26 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

I know we've probably all seen the footage of Steve Irwin feeding a croc. while holding his baby in his hands 6 months ago. Now he is trying to say that it is the angle the camera was at. He says his baby was in no danger. I personally can't agree with that. Animals are so unpredictable. I am certain that Roy Horn never thought one of his tigers would hurt him.

A while back we were at a gator park watching the feeding show. A couple of gators jumped for the same piece of meat. We watched the one that missed the meat look up in the walk where the people were standing above. He actually was eyeballing a small child that was watching him. It really gave me a chill.

Anyway, here is the link to the story. (I had trouble pasting it in to this post.)

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/SciTech/Crocodile_hunter_040614-1.html

What do you think about it?

Desi

• Special K
    Special K

Hi Desib.

Obviously the back lash from what he did is not over yet.. Oh boy.. this could go on for months.

never trust a meat eater is my philosphy.

SK

• desib77
    desib77
    Obviously the back lash from what he did is not over yet.. Oh boy.. this could go on for months.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was a little surprised to find an article on it in the news today. I had forgotten all about it.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

His kid was at less danger than a child being held in arms by a parent who didn't know anything about horses walking round a stables petting horse's noses. Or a kid growing up in a house with large and inadequately trained dogs.

I'm far more against stupidity and ignorace putting children at risk than I am against professionals with years of experience being confident they can gauge a situation.

His real mistake was to do it in a slow news week where the press could generate a reaction because nothing more important was happening.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I just read in todays newspaper that Steve is in big trouble again, this time for riding on the back of a HumpWhale while filming in Antartic.

Apparently is a big nono to even get close to the wildlife of the Antartica and yes he had his son with him again. He jumped up on an iceberg because he said his wet suit broke open.

I like his show, but my husband can't stand him and his accent.

He is as a bad a Micheal Jackson when he hung his baby outside a window. Weird bunch of banana's for sure.

Orangefatcat

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

... are you saying that Steve Irwin was riding on the back of a Humpback Whale with a toddler?

Well, the search string <"Steve Irwin" humpback> gives zip on Google; could you give some reference to this, I'm fasinated.

... and I thought the guy in the pub who told me Steve'd gone back in time and cooked the last Dodo was "coming the raw prawn" with me!

• simplesally
    simplesally

He is going to be on GMA this morning regarding this.

• little witch
    little witch

Thanks for the update on this, I remember the controversy.

What bothers me the most is that Steve is apparently trying to define his childrens future.

"I like wild creatures and the media and thus you will too".

Nothing wrong with being proud of our kids, but they should be allowed the right to decide for themselves what their interests are.

• catlady
    catlady

The kids live at the park so are around the animals a lot & to me this is just like a kid growing up in the country. His little girl loves animals & I do think it's pretty normal to pass our interests onto our children until they are old enough to develop their own. They have loads of different animals there, like koalas, kangaroos and wombats as well as the reptiles. Here is his daughter (Bindi) with a baby koala - I don't know many kids who wouldn't love to feed this native animal!

I think the thing with his son and the croc was unfortunate but I also agree with him that the camera angle does make it look like he is closer to the croc than he really is. I agree with Abaddon that kids are more at risk with an everyday accident happening than a croc attack - for example, here in Australia over 50% of child drownings occur in a bathtub.

Anyway, here is the article about Steve's antics in the Antartic. Unfortunately, we Aussies have a habit of pulling down our heroes just as fast as we build them up.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

little witch;

Is that quote his or what you think he's sayng? If it's his, let's have a reference please. If it's you putting words in his nmouth, from his words, show your summary of his attitude is justified.

If you're saying it is wrong he gets his kids involved with animals just because he is, there's a lot of kids who won't be attending their parent's church (as that's parent deciding things for kids) if people foillow the same logic...

Likewise it would be coonsidered unreasonable for a musician to want their kid to have music lessons as they'd not be giving them a right to decide what interests they have...

Lord knows how many family businesses will have to shut down...

As Public Enemy said;

D...d...d...don't believe the hype...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit