That They Be Called Shepherds

by Farkel 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TMS
    TMS

Farkel,

There is much truth expressed here.

There are elders, of course, who try to be shepherds.

I'm not certain that Jehovah's Witnesses' total thrust
    is book selling, but certainly there is a tremendous overemphasis
    on preaching statistics.

Individual publishers, congregations, circuits, countries are
    measured by hourly averages, placements, etc. This is such
    an arbitrary, illogical, irrelevant way of measuring
    human worth.

You mention the circuit overseer's visit. It always seemed
    that his overall impression of a congregation was largely influenced
    by his perusal of the congregation "records" on Monday
    or Tuesday. When it came time to recommend an individual
    for congregation responsibility, meeting the "national
    average" or falling below it could override any genuine
    merit or lack of it.

It becomes so very difficult to deal with real human
    issues in such a CPA-style environment.

TMS

• Farkel
    Farkel

TMS,

: I'm not certain that Jehovah's Witnesses' total thrust is book selling

Ok. Take all their literature (except for the Bible) out of the Watchtower religion, and tells us what they have left.

Nothing, that's what. Without their literature the Watchtower religion has nothing but a book that does not support their unique teachings.

Farkel

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

What I have seen is that the average JW who tries to keep up with their JW routine does not have time to care for the weak, sick or the elderly. Usually there are a couple of kindhearted sisters here and there who do most of the caregiving if need be. These examples get brought out in the magazines or at aseemblies, so it appears as if the JWs are the most loving caring wonderful people in the world. But I have always seen others (non-JWs) caring for their friends and family the same if not more, but they will never get the credit for doing so because they are wicked evil Satanic beings according to the WT Org. I used to point this out to the JWs years ago before I joined the Org. The down pat answer was....Yes, good works are commendable, but doing the God's will is what will bring everlasting life. How I ever fell for this line of BS I will never know...I was in the Org for 8 years before I had a shepherding call. I can count 5 of them in 20 plus years. Can you feel the love?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

nothing to add but everything here is what I experienced in my 22 yrs as a JW - oh and for 14 years after I left I never had one shepherding call despite the fact they knew exactly where I was

to the thread

to the WTS

• baysixforme
    baysixforme

A shepherding call, in my memory always carried connotations of trouble; meaning that if one was the recipient of such attention, one was certainly heading down the wrong path. Shepherding therefore meant that an individuals 'wrongdoing' was being brought to the congregations attention in a subtle way.

On the other hand, I became very well aware of numerous members of my old congregation that were crying out for help and were suffering in a very big way and there were no 'shepherds' available to assist them. The only 'help' available was in the form of so-called special needs talks which were designed to encourage more praying, meeting attendance and field service, which somehow seemed to imply that those experiencing difficulties were nothing but weak.

Bay64me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit