does money talk in the cong?

by little1 13 Replies latest jw friends

• little1
    little1

The jw I dated had lots of money and seemed to take the religion pretty much a la carte. When it was to his advantage he'd play the religion card, but he seemed to get away with a lot. By that I mean he owned and flew an ultralight, spent lots of time at the airport with non jws, slept with me (although they didn't know that), traveled to Europe 2x to take his non jw mom to France, spends a lot of time visiting his mom in FL. Just a lot of things that don't line up with what I read on here would have been accepted in the cong.

He likes to flash the cash around-pays with hundred dollar bills -even at Waffle House (how tacky is that?). If he made big donations to the WT and local cong, and made it known how much he was giving could he get away with more? He hung around them for 14 years before he was finally baptised.

I'm confused as to how he manged that?

little1

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Money = Power.

CG

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Money talks loudly among the JWs. The more you have, the more considerations and more relaxed rules would apply to you and yours.

But, taken all into consideration, that's just a common human imperfection. In all realms of life, money talks, and bull shit walks, not just amond JWs.

DY

• wednesday
    wednesday

Money always talks. It talks among JWS as well as everyone else. GREEN is the PC color to be.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

The clique of 'cools' at my last stand:Rockland Massachusetts Kingdom Hall gave me shit when i ordered tap water (to save $ ) at the restaurant instead of yuppie perrier water.. Money talks and usually it shouts!

If these are the ass''wholes'' to inherit the earth I don't want to be around.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Yes, and status does too. Ever notice that the bros and sisters with the nicest looking clothes and expensive hair styles were the ones who were used as the good christian examples? Check it out in the mags. Do you see any humble JWs sitting around in funky housetrailers wearing old hand me down clothes?

• SAHS
    SAHS

JWs are always being nagged about dress and grooming, keeping cars and houses neat and clean, etc. But to keep a home as ?nice? and clean as the WT indicates it should be, a person would have to hire a maid. (Don?t even think of trying to compete with Bethel with this, folks. You?ll need to invest in a room full of vacuum cleaners and soap!) And to always have clothes that are clean, neat, and ?attractive,? this would inevitably involve constantly buying new clothes. (Clothes have a way of getting dirty and out of style, falling from ?perfection.?)

So, yeah, money is certainly favorable in keeping up the appearance of these ?ideal people? you always see in the WT photos and on the assembly platform. (I haven?t seen too many ?ordinary? people shown in jeans and a T-shirt in those WT photos?even at an informal barbeque!)

The organization gives the impression of not having ?class distinctions,? but it sure seems that all the top elders?and their wives?always look the part. Yes, they always seem to pick the ?cream of the crop? ($$$), and it shows.

?SAHS

• skittles4u
    skittles4u

We are so dependant on money that almost anyone will make exceptions for it.

• Jasmine
    Jasmine

Why didn't someone tell me this earlier!

There were a few judicial committee meetings I would have liked to buy my way out of!

LOL

• skittles4u
    skittles4u
    There were a few judicial committee meetings I would have liked to buy my way out of!

LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit