NEW LIGHT?

by sandy 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Unless new light came out in the last 6 months, this is the current WTS position of confessing sins to the elders:

w01 6/1 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers

In view of Jehovah?s willingness to forgive sins by the merit of the ransom sacrifice, why is it necessary for Christians to confess to the older men in the congregation?

As can be seen in the case of David and Bath-sheba, Jehovah forgave David?s sin, grave though it was, because of David?s genuine repentance. When the prophet Nathan approached him, David openly confessed: "I have sinned against Jehovah."?2 Samuel 12:13.

However, Jehovah not only accepts a sinner?s sincere confession and extends forgiveness but he also makes loving provisions to help the erring one progress to spiritual recovery. In David?s case, the help came through the prophet Nathan. Today, in the Christian congregation, there are spiritually mature older men, or elders. The disciple James explains: "Is there anyone [spiritually] sick among you? Let him call the older men of the congregation to him, and let them pray over him, greasing him with oil in the name of Jehovah. And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."?James 5:14, 15.

Skillful elders can do much to ease the pain of heart that is felt by the remorseful sinner. They strive to imitate Jehovah in their dealings with him. They never want to be harsh, even though strong discipline may be warranted. Rather, they compassionately consider the immediate needs of the individual. Patiently they strive to readjust the erring one?s thinking by using God?s Word. (Galatians 6:1) Even if a person does not voluntarily confess his sin, he may still be moved to repentance when approached by the elders, as David was when approached by Nathan. The support thus rendered by the elders helps the erring one to avoid the danger of repeating the sin and the serious consequences of becoming a hardened practicer of sin.?Hebrews 10:26-31.

It is certainly not easy to confess to others deeds that one feels ashamed of and to seek forgiveness. It takes inner strength. Reflect for a moment, though, on the alternative. One man who failed to reveal his serious sin to the elders in the congregation said: "I felt a pain in my heart that would not go away. I increased my efforts in the preaching work, but the sickening feeling remained." He felt that confession to God in prayer was enough, but clearly it was not, for he experienced feelings similar to King David?s. (Psalm 51:8, 11) How much better to accept the loving assistance that Jehovah provides through the elders!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    One man who failed to reveal his serious sin to the elders in the congregation said: "I felt a pain in my heart that would not go away. I increased my efforts in the preaching work, but the sickening feeling remained." He felt that confession to God in prayer was enough, but clearly it was not, for he experienced feelings similar to King David?s. (Psalm 51:8, 11) How much better to accept the loving assistance that Jehovah provides through the elders!

Clearly this man did not truly solidify a Personal Relationship with Jehover (TM). If he had he would not have had to go to a human to feel better. Nothing fails like prayer.

• sandy
    sandy

Thanks Blondie.

One man who failed to reveal his serious sin to the elders in the congregation said: "I felt a pain in my heart that would not go away. I increased my efforts in the preaching work, but the sickening feeling remained." He felt that confession to God in prayer was enough, but clearly it was not, for he experienced feelings similar to King David?s. (Psalm 51:8, 11) How much better to accept the loving assistance that Jehovah provides through the elders!

MY friend was trying to put a different spin on this matter. Nowhere have I ever read in a WT publication that it one does not have to approach the elders if they committ a serious sin as long as they feel they have J's forgiveness.

In response to her claim I used her own situation as well as my own. She went on for months without confessing and she got really depressed and sick over the matter. She finally went to the elders to confess. She even pioneered through all the months she was "hiding" her "sin".

I told her that I believe if she and I had a real relationship with God then we didn't need the elders to forgive us. Prayer to God would be enough.

• sandy
    sandy

in light of the awake july 8th try inviting her to your birthday...
    Can someone explain more on this article? Blondie? THnakS

• PinTail
    PinTail

I have been a Jehovah's Witness for fifty years. At this point I now know with out feeling bad that it is Jehovah that you worship and not men, it is Jehovah you pray to not men its him that you beg forgivness to not men. When you can reach this point you will understand the fear of Jehovah and closeness that can come between you and your God.

Shane,

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Sandy if she pioneer application was acepted after the sin that means you don't have to confess. Same as if a person becomes and elder. SO she is right in that case. It is a loop hole few know about. Because JWs consider the holyspirit as apointed the pioneers and elders then that and Jehovah sees all. Then that must mean Jehovah has forgiven them. Some one else post that KM from the 70's on this.

So sandy she is correct but it is like one of those annoying "lil known facts" few people ever exploit.

• sandy
    sandy

XQs ThaiPoes,

She was pioneering regularly before she fell into "gross conduct". I think I mis-communicated this to you all.

SHe pioneered for many years. After her fall from grace she was taken off the list.

Either way she was giving me these misleading statements as if I did not know any better.

• Confession
    Confession

I was glad to find this thread. I too am keenly interested in this--and only this question...

Is confession to Christian elders necessary in order to receive Jehovah's forgiveness?
    1) Reasoning from the Scriptures, under ?Confession,? addresses this.

?When a person sins against God

Matt. 6:6-12: ?When you pray, go into your private room and, after shutting your door, pray to your Father who is in secret . . . ?Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified . . . and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.??

Ps. 32:5: ?My sin I finally confessed to you [God], and my error I did not cover. I said: ?I shall make confession over my transgressions to Jehovah.? And you yourself pardoned the error of my sins.?
    --------------------------------------------------

[You'll notice that the italics are the society's--not mine. This clearly implies that confession is something we do to Jehovah--as opposed to a man. Indeed the line of reasoning is attempting to demonstrate why Catholic confession is unscriptural.

But what does the Reasoning book say about James 5:14-16 ("Let him call the older men of the congregation to him...") It clearly says this comes into play... (and this is a direct quote...)

?When someone becomes involved in serious wrongdoing and wants spiritual help?--------------------------

[ While the answer given describes help from the older men as ? loving provisions to help the erring one progress to spiritual recovery,? it never takes the firm position that it is necessary. Instead of doing so, it gives the example of a brother whose experience would suggest that it is. The final words read?

? How much better to accept the loving assistance that Jehovah provides through the

elders!?

Saying that it is ?much better? is of course different than saying it is a ?scriptural requirement.?
    ----------------------------------

2) Here is what Insight on the Scriptures has to say about it...

Confessing sins to one another. The disciple James counsels: ?Openly confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may get healed.? (Jas 5:16) Such confession is not because any human serves as ?helper [?advocate,? RS]? for man with God, since Christ alone fills that role by virtue of his propitiatory sacrifice. (1Jo 2:1, 2) Humans, of themselves, cannot actually right the wrong toward God, on their own behalf or on behalf of others, being unable to provide the needed atonement. (Ps 49:7, 8) However, Christians can help one another, and their prayers on behalf of their brothers, while not having an effect on God?s application of justice (since Christ?s ransom alone serves to bring remission of sins), do count with God in petitioning his giving needed help and strength to the one who has sinned and is seeking aid.

--------------------------------------------------

3) What else does the Watchtower have to say?

*** w97 12/1 p. 14 Jehovah, a God ?Ready to Forgive? ***

Despite what mistakes you may have made, if you have truly repented, taken steps to right the wrong, and earnestly prayed for Jehovah?s forgiveness on the basis of Jesus? shed blood, you can have full confidence that the words of 1 John 1:9 apply to you: ?If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous so as to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.?

-------------------------------------------------------------

With all honesty, I do not see anywhere in which the Society ever explicitly states that confession to Christian elders is mandatory to receiving Jehovah's forgiveness. Indeed they seem quite clear (in many places) that it is something we do "to Jehovah." Furthermore, I am convinced that even most elders are not aware of this, having previously served as one myself.

I would like to hear of any other friends who've had experience with this subject.

• HeyNow!
    HeyNow!

Howard Stern had this stipper on his show. She claimed to have been a df'd Witness. She told him about confessing her sins to the elders in the JC. She mentioned about all the juicy details she had to reveal. I admit it was getting hot for me, too. Finally, Howard concluded

" I want to be an elder!"

• observador
    observador
    She seemed to be a very Liberal JW.

She may be a liberal JW, but she must have smoked or drunk something. The simple fact that she's liberal, is totally against the tenets of the JW religion. Remember all thak talk about keeping the pace with Jehovah's organization? No independent thinking? No rebellion against "those taking the lead"?

I think she forgot all of that. Which is good. It's a sign she hasn't been to meetings or reading the magazines lately.

Observador.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit