NEW LIGHT?

by sandy 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

I checked again on my WT-CD 2003. Unless it was something in a magazine released in the last 6 months (which I have read), this is a personal interpretation she has made, had passed on to her by elder(s) or a CO/DO in her area. This is not unusual to have an individual with authority present an idea that is slightly off-kilter from the "official" stance in the publications.

Insight Book Vol-1 p. 1253 James, Letter of

To recover from spiritual sickness resulting from sin, the suffering one should call on elders for help (5:13-20)

An open confession of sin as well as prayers on behalf of the sinner by the elders will promote spiritual healing

To recover an erring brother is to save him from spiritual death

Index 1986-2003 Sin

serious sin: confession to elders: w01 6/1 30-1; w01 8/15 30; g97 1/22 12; w95 1/1 27; om 145; w86 4/1 26

w03 2/15 pp. 18-19 What Does the Lord?s Evening Meal Mean to You?

If a person who usually partakes of the Memorial emblems commits a serious sin, he should confess this to Jehovah and also seek the spiritual assistance of the older men of the congregation. (Proverbs 28:13; James 5:13-16) If he truly repents and produces fruitage befitting repentance, he would not be partaking unworthily.?Luke 3:8.

w01 6/1 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers

In view of Jehovah?s willingness to forgive sins by the merit of the ransom sacrifice, why is it necessary for Christians to confess to the older men in the congregation?

As can be seen in the case of David and Bath-sheba, Jehovah forgave David?s sin, grave though it was, because of David?s genuine repentance. When the prophet Nathan approached him, David openly confessed: "I have sinned against Jehovah."?2 Samuel 12:13.

However, Jehovah not only accepts a sinner?s sincere confession and extends forgiveness but he also makes loving provisions to help the erring one progress to spiritual recovery. In David?s case, the help came through the prophet Nathan. Today, in the Christian congregation, there are spiritually mature older men, or elders. The disciple James explains: "Is there anyone [spiritually] sick among you? Let him call the older men of the congregation to him, and let them pray over him, greasing him with oil in the name of Jehovah. And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."?James 5:14, 15.

Skillful elders can do much to ease the pain of heart that is felt by the remorseful sinner. They strive to imitate Jehovah in their dealings with him. They never want to be harsh, even though strong discipline may be warranted. Rather, they compassionately consider the immediate needs of the individual. Patiently they strive to readjust the erring one?s thinking by using God?s Word. (Galatians 6:1) Even if a person does not voluntarily confess his sin, he may still be moved to repentance when approached by the elders, as David was when approached by Nathan. The support thus rendered by the elders helps the erring one to avoid the danger of repeating the sin and the serious consequences of becoming a hardened practicer of sin.?Hebrews 10:26-31.

It is certainly not easy to confess to others deeds that one feels ashamed of and to seek forgiveness. It takes inner strength. Reflect for a moment, though, on the alternative. One man who failed to reveal his serious sin to the elders in the congregation said: "I felt a pain in my heart that would not go away. I increased my efforts in the preaching work, but the sickening feeling remained." He felt that confession to God in prayer was enough, but clearly it was not, for he experienced feelings similar to King David?s. (Psalm 51:8, 11) How much better to accept the loving assistance that Jehovah provides through the elders!

km 8/01 p. 6 Theocratic Ministry School Review

32. A Christian who has become involved in serious wrongdoing should confess his sin to the elders. [Jas. 5:14-16] [rs p. 83 par. 9]

w00 11/1 p. 15 You Can Remain Morally Clean

Solomon, who was the second son of David and Bath-sheba, may have reflected on this dark episode in his father?s life. He later wrote: "He that is covering over his transgressions will not succeed, but he that is confessing and leaving them will be shown mercy." (Proverbs 28:13) If we fall into serious sin, we should heed this inspired counsel, which is both a warning and a word of advice. We should confess to Jehovah and approach the congregation elders for help. An important responsibility of the elders is to help readjust those who have fallen into wrongdoing.?James 5:14, 15.

w99 4/15 p. 30 Do You Remember?

What must one do to receive God?s forgiveness for wrongdoing?

Confession to God must be coupled with contrition and "fruits that befit repentance." (Luke 3:8) A repentant spirit and a desire to right the wrong would also move one to seek the spiritual help of Christian elders. (James 5:13-15)?1/15, page 19.

w99 1/15 p. 19 Lift Up Loyal Hands in Prayer

If we are seeking God?s forgiveness for serious wrongdoing, let us make confession in humble prayer and produce fruits befitting repentance. A repentant spirit and a desire to right the wrong would also move us to seek the spiritual help of Christian elders.?James 5:13-15.

Isaiah Prophecy-2 chap. 15 pp. 225-226 The Barren Woman Rejoices

When we commit a sin, then, we should never hesitate to repent and seek to make amends with God. If the sin is of a serious nature, we should approach the congregation elders immediately. (James 5:14)

g97 4/8 pp. 24-25 Can a Marriage Be Saved After Infidelity?

Those who are Jehovah?s Witnesses may want to request assistance from the congregation elders. Of course, for Christians, serious sins such as adultery must immediately be confessed to the elders, who are concerned with the spiritual welfare of the couple and the congregation. It may be that when he met with the elders, the adulterer showed genuine repentance and was thus allowed to remain in the congregation. In such a case, the elders can give continued assistance to both mates.?James 5:14, 15.

g97 1/22 p. 12 Should I Confess My Sin?/Calling on the Elders

If you are a Christian, the matter does not end with telling your parents. Says Andrew: "I knew I had to take my problem to the congregation elders. What a relief it was to know that they were there to help me!" Yes, youths among Jehovah?s Witnesses can and should go to the congregation elders for help and encouragement. But why can?t you simply pray to Jehovah and leave it at that? Because Jehovah has entrusted the elders with the responsibility of "keeping watch over your souls." (Hebrews 13:17) They can help you avoid falling into sin again.?Compare James 5:14-16.

Do not deceive yourself by reasoning that you can help yourself. If you were really strong enough to do that, would you have fallen into sin in the first place? Clearly, you need to seek outside help. Andrew courageously did so. His advice? "I encourage anyone who is involved in a serious sin, or who has been, to open his heart to Jehovah and to one of his shepherds."

But just how do you approach an elder? Pick one with whom you feel reasonably comfortable. You could begin by saying: "I need to talk about something" or "I have a problem" or even "I have a problem and need your help." Your being honest and open will go a long way in demonstrating your repentance and desire to change.

w95 1/1 p. 27 Determining Weakness, Wickedness, and Repentance

If someone falls into serious sin because of fleshly weakness, he urgently needs shepherding in harmony with the procedure outlined at James 5:14-16: "Is there anyone [spiritually] sick among you? Let him call the older men of the congregation to him . . . If he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him. Therefore openly confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may get healed."

Hence, when a dedicated Christian commits gross sin, something more than personal confession to Jehovah is needed. The elders must take certain steps, since the cleanness or the peace of the congregation is threatened. (Matthew 18:15-17; 1 Corinthians 5:9-11; 6:9, 10) Elders may have to determine: Is the individual repentant? What led up to the sin? Was it the result of an isolated moment of weakness? Was it a practice of sin? Such determination is not always simple or clear-cut and demands considerable discernment.

w95 9/15 p. 31 A Meaningless Ritual?

THE sacrament of confession has been practiced by Catholics for centuries. Yet, for many it is an empty routine. Reflecting on his youth, a high school principal named Bob says: "I was a teenager, and even then I didn?t take it seriously." Why not? For him, confession had become a meaningless ritual. He explains: "Confession was like bringing all your luggage full of sins up to the customs man at the airport. He asks you questions about your sins and then he lets you go through after paying something for the luxury items you bought while you were abroad."

Similarly, Frank Wessling, writing in U.S. Catholic, describes the practice of confession as "an extremely simplified step-by-step guide, from checkoff of common sins through memorized prayer of repentance to ritual act of token penance." Wessling?s conclusion? "I?m convinced that Confession is good for the soul," he says. "But the way Catholics do it is a problem."

The Bible presents confession in a completely different manner. Most important is confession to God. (Psalm 32:1-5) And the Christian disciple James wrote: "Is there anyone sick among you? Let him call the older men of the congregation to him, and let them pray over him, greasing him with oil in the name of Jehovah. Therefore openly confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may get healed."?James 5:14, 16.

A Christian burdened with sin can call the congregation overseers, who can give personal and practical counsel from the Bible to help the wrongdoer abandon his sinful course. The overseers can give appropriate encouragement as they monitor the progress of the one who is ailing spiritually. What a contrast to the formalistic ritual of confession practiced by churches today! Fortified by the personal assistance of congregation elders, repentant wrongdoers can gain the relief that David felt, as he expressed in a psalm: "My sin I finally confessed to you, and my error I did not cover. I said: ?I shall make confession over my transgressions to Jehovah.? And you yourself pardoned the error of my sins."?Psalm 32:5.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit