Ho Hum, just another JW sex abuse case

by Dubby 32 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Dubby
    Dubby
    I bought into it too. Just think though, how foolish you'd feel at this point if you still did? Everything naked and exposed for all to see, and so many refuse to wake up.

Path, this is what bothers me. I'm really starting to think that the WTS is just another cult. Why would someone keep following this way of religion knowing full well how detrimental it can be? Of course there are many reasons besides doctrine, Families, loved ones, etc. I guess it's kind of like working at a job you hate, but need the paycheck. But, at some point we need to change jobs. I'm glad that I'm self-employed.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    I'm really starting to think that the WTS is just another cult.

Whatever makes you think that? LOL

Why would someone keep following this way of religion knowing full well how detrimental it can be?

Probably because most don't "know full well" that its detrimental. There are alot of happy Witnesses who actually enjoy being a Witness, even with all the inconveniences. Ignorance is bliss.

As for those who do know somethings not quite right, yes the family thing holds them in, or the tired "where else are we going to go" mindset kicks in.

I guess it's kind of like working at a job you hate, but need the paycheck. But, at some point we need to change jobs.

Just like working for yourself scares alot of people, some can't see themselves outside of a factory job punching the clock. Many just don't want to "quit" with nowhere to go.

Path

• Xandit
    Xandit

Just to address the way things work in the US at this point. When you call legal for direction on this your are told to report the matter to the legal authorities within a very limited period of time. You're even told specifically which legal authorities to contact. I know it hasn't always been that way.

• Friend
    Friend

Frenchy and Xandit are both correct about how reporting of child abuse is handled in the United States. As Xandit says, elders are directed to report child abuse, if they live in certain states. However, if a report of child abuse occurs in a state that does not require such reporting then, as indicated by Frenchy, elders are not directed to do so. In such states elders are told that reporting or not is up to individuals and that no mandatory reporting law exists for them. Elders are free to report if they so choose, but they are then acting individually rather than as a congregation representative. In no case are elders directed to place any sort of gag order upon publishers knowing of child abuse.

Unfortunately a misguided moral sense has led to many cover-ups. In those cases people mostly meant well, they just failed to fully consider the costs to victims and potential victims. As reports of abuse became more widespread then there became a greater and better understanding of and acquiescence to the morally correct thing to do. The same is true of society at large, which is demonstrated by the remaining absence of reporting laws in various locales.

Right now the Society is vigorously and relentlessly pursuing reports of child abuse. If local elders are unwilling to act, the Society will push the issue until full resolution has occurred.

Friend

• Seven
    Seven
    Right now the Society is vigorously and relentlessly pursuing reports of child.

Finally.
    Friend, I've discovered that there are no statute
    of limitations on filing charges in child sexual abuse cases. If what I'm hearing is accurate these
    demented predators should be very, very, afraid-regardless of when the crime was committed.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    Unfortunately a misguided moral sense has led to many cover-ups. In those cases people mostly meant well, they just failed to fully consider the costs to victims and potential victims.

Couldn't the same be said of the Catholic Church, Friend? While they have been guilty of cover-up on a larger scale, they are also a much larger Church. We've laid into them heavy for moving priests around, and here we've done essentially the same thing to preserve a squeaky clean image. It looks to me like the pot has been calling the kettle black.

As reports of abuse became more widespread then there became a greater and better understanding of and acquiescence to the morally correct thing to do. The same is true of society at large, which is demonstrated by the remaining absence of reporting laws in various locales.

A religion being led by God shouldn't need to gain a "greater and better understanding.. of the morally correct thing to do." It makes a mockery of the perfect direction and spirit of God.

Right now the Society is vigorously and relentlessly pursuing reports of child abuse. If local elders are unwilling to act, the Society will push the issue until full resolution has occurred.

Of course they are because it has become fashionable to take such a strong stance and its much better for public relations.

All of these cover-ups by representatives of the Society have gone with no formal acknowledgement or appology. The same goes for deaths due to bogus doctrine on blood, blood fractions, organ transplants and vaccinations. Abuse of raped women who were disfellowshipped for fornication because they failed to scream because they were so paralyzed with fear.

In the real world, heads roll, people are fired, people resign, people are sued, people are put in jail. I think its time the people making all the rules started taking responsibility for their actions.

Path

Edited by - Pathofthorns on 7 August 2000 16:55:37

• Friend
    Friend

Friend, I've discovered that there are no statute of limitations on filing charges in child sexual abuse cases.

That depends upon legal interpretation in any given jurisdiction and the type of complaint filed (i.e., civil or criminal). On statute of limitations, some judges determine legal recourse based upon when a person first recalls an incident. Other judges interpret similar laws differently. The thing on the side of victims is the heightened and growing sensitivity to child victimization in most societies. Some judges have completely ignored legal precedents and allowed courtroom arguments and jury verdicts to, in effect, write new law, new precedent. In cases such as those where courts of appeal have upheld the decisions then new laws have been established. One thing that has hampered courts from prosecuting based upon adult recollections of past victimization (when they were children) is questionable psychiatric practices were accusations were elicited by suggestion. It didn’t take too many instances of innocents being prosecuted for courts to sit up and take notice.

As for victimizers, you are correct, all of them have an anvil over their heads. For that reason it is not unusual for child predators to discreetly look up past victims in order to determine if there is any immediate cause for concern, which is strictly a measure that they hope will provide them with some relief from worry. Sometimes that attempt backfires and instead of alleviating worry by their presence they instead stir up old memories.

Friend

• Seven
    Seven
    One thing that has hampered courts from prosecuting based upon adult recollections of past victimization(when they were children)is questionable psychiatric practices where accusations were elicited by suggestion.

Every since reading about the McMartin daycare trial I've been interested in false memories/repressed memories and regressionism as used as evidence in a court of law. I recently purchased this book but haven't had the time to read it-[url] http://www.stopbadtherapy.com/main/bedfell.html[/url].

• waiting
    waiting

Hey 7,

Interesting book:

To allow for the possibility of false memories, at any level, is to ultimately endanger one's own denomination--"If it could be false in their case, it could be false in mine."

Interesting observation. Which is not unlike the problem of Witnet vs h2o. Black/White. The fence sitter is left out in the cold again - being middle of the road.

At least one problem, of many, in the study of memory is that there is nothing concrete to study. Nothing to cut up, if the memory is not concrete (like a building) a person can't go back for reference (it's still there).

Memory tends to be fluid, perspectives come into play. What I remember of a situation yesterday will be different than a 10 yr old. We both will remember - but not necessarily the same things - or the same things shaded differently.

The brain power also comes into play with memory. What the brain doesn't remember - blow for blow - sometimes the brain will help "arrange" a memory to make better sense. There's a technical term for this, which escapes my memory at the moment.

Sometimes, the way a child sees trauma doesn't make sense - the actually trauma doesn't make sense. The child's interpretation of the trauma doesn't make sense because the child is viewing through a child's mind and vocabulary.

I've been in incest groups with different kinds of memory (no regression that I know of) repressed or just not talked about for 5-50 years.
    Some women make good sense - others none.

Does it mean that it didn't happen? No. Just means that it can't be proven.

Does it mean that it did happen? No. Just means that it can't be proven unless it's concrete.

The debate continues, but it seems that the persons debating are not, sometimes, the persons with the memories. The persons I know who have memories are not as black/white as this book wishes to portray.

Some of us had come to the conclusion that we must be insane - for no one could have memories like these. Much saner to think the victim insane rather than the memory be true.

Can the repressed/regular memory be inaccurate? Of course. Can it be crystal clear - as if never processed through the channels of memory because of the truama which interrupted correct processing? Some professionals think so.

Again, that's why my nickname is waiting - just waiting to see what they decide about me.

waiting

• SolidSender
    SolidSender

Path - re: your post Aug 7 4:51 9( above )

beautiful common sense, shame it falls on the deaf ears of the pseudo intellects around here They can't recognise it because it's a totally foreign concept - simplicity. Keep it up, the world needs more of it and more people with three dimensional viewpoints like yourself.SolidSender

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit