What did you actually enjoy about JW meetings?

by Pinned Blouse 67 Replies latest jw friends

• 4JWY
    4JWY

I enjoyed listening to my son all through the years, with a youthful exuberance, BELT out the songs with no care to the fact that he sang totally off key -

I think that's the only thing I ever liked.

• Jared
    Jared

Sometimes I really liked the ENTIRE meeting. I wrote some really good poetry in the margins of the magazines and drew some really interesting pictures during those two hour sessions. Some of the best art springs forth from repression! Of course if I wasn't drawing or writing, it was the worst experience of my life. oh yeah...definately the end on those occasions.

• Confucious
    Confucious

Me and my ex wife use to play the "translation game." We'd scribble it in our WT. For example, "We should all find more time for the ministry..." Translation: Get your ASS out in field service.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

going home after 2 wasted hours! and I know it's a sore subject with 'ya, Pinned, but our hall had a couple of nice young things who "needed" pinnin'.... maybe it wasnt such a waste after all?

Hill

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I enjoyed the actual content for many years - but eventually I realized that I had heard it all; after about 25 years it became repetitious.

I actually enjoyed the company of many of the Witnesses and deliberately arrived early and stayed late so I could talk to them. Didn't find anyone I could relate to in the last congregation I attended - no one approached me. I must have stunk of apostasy already.

PB, I want to address a few of your comments -

No collections plate going around the room

Well, after I left I began attending a liberal church where the preacher was a highly educated speaker and a working poet; his services included two free-verse prayers every Sunday. He deserved every dollar he got, and then some. I was glad to drop a dollar in the plate every Sunday. And there was no televangelist-style begging and pleading for offerings, either.

No one person giving the talk every single week (can you imagine the same speaker 3 to 4 times a week, every day?)

Most churches don't expect everybody to show up for everything. There are churches where many people don't even show up for the Sunday sermon, but go for the "special interest groups" (to borrow a term from our computer-club days). Nobody looks down on them for this, because their presence and interest contributes to the life of the church.

Besides, if you have a talented speaker - and I would venture to say that the "average" preacher of Christendom ranks about even with the "gifted" JW speaker - then it's a pleasure to hear him/her once a week. At most. Remember, most churchgoers are not guilt-tripped if they don't attend every week.

Um, it occurs to me that maybe you've already learned all this from experience. My apologies if I'm beating a dead horse.

GentlyFeral

• codeblue
    codeblue

ok...the first Theocratic School and Ministry meeting: I enjoyed the fact they used teenagers, as a 10 year old that caught my attention and I loved it!!!

There were some times in my adult life that I did enjoy it.......feeling the comraderie and all.....and feeling like I had "friends" there that cared about me

• bem
    bem

I enjoyed listening to my son all through the years, with a youthful exuberance, BELT out the songs with no care to the fact that he sang totally off key -

I think that's the only thing I ever liked.

4JWY,That is too funny, When we moved here ditto...The end.

• shamus
    shamus

It actually made me rather ill going to meetings. It truly stressed me out, and made me feel so much worse. They just kept inplying that you were never doing enough... never doing enough... plus I have an anxiety disorder that makes me extremely nervous in large social gatherings.

I absolutley hated them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit