What did you actually enjoy about JW meetings?

by Pinned Blouse 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

Nos & Blondie you guys are too funny!

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

Stef,

I know how you feel, I did have some friends that I miss to this day but the ones I found myself close to were the rebels in the cong., but after I left the truth, I have close relationships to some very cool people, these are people I would have never met had I stayed in the truth.

• franklin J
    franklin J

nothing

• blondie
    blondie

franklin, not even the end?

• franklin J
    franklin J

Blondie:

yes, I enjoyed the "end". And I enjoyed the fact that on Thursday evenings I would inevitably go out for some sort of mild entertainment ( coffee, drinks) with some of the other " young people". But in retrospect, all the friendships that I stood by as a JW proved themselves to be "hollow".

All these years later it has left an unpleasent taste in my mouth. Despite trying to keep an open mind about JWs, I have had a negative experience and am reacting to it. I have been a non JW longer than I was a JW and have a fairly reasonable comparison to make.

I do not miss anything.

....but it has brought me to this forum and there is far more support and camaraderie here than at any Kingdom Hall. That is good.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

Sometimes we got to get Popeye's fried chicken after the Sunday meeting. Yea. That was cool.

Oh - and if it ended on time we could also catch the end of "American Top 40" and hear the #1 song for the week!!

• blondie
    blondie

Just teasing, franklin. I don't miss anyone or anything. But when I was there, the end was the best part. By the time I am gone longer than I was there, I will be 96 years old.

Blondie

• Atilla
    Atilla
    I enjoyed the fact that JW's seemed to be color blind. I never seen so many interacial couples until I started coming to the meetings. Perhaps that had to do with the fact that JW's have very few prospects to begin with and they are more open in regards to whom they choose to marry.

I've noticed that many of the sisters from my old KH's have are so desperate to find a guy to marry that they have begun to look abroad for brothers. I know of 3 or 4 that have gotten married to guys from the Dominican Republic and currently I know that my old girl friend is planing to marry a guy from Grenada. Now, I know her parents are very conservative and even though they are dubs, are most likely irritated by the whole interracial thing going on between their daughter and this guy from Grenada. However, their hands are tied and they can't say anything because they are dubs.

Don't get me wrong, I think this whole hooking up with other people from other countries is a good idea but not when religion is involved. From what I've seen, the people involved tend to overlook obvious differences that will cause strain foolishly thinking that their commonality in religion will fix everything. Also, I know that some of these guys from poorer countries may be in love with some girl in the U.S. but also that they are looking for a better way of life. I say good luck but I would love to see how they are doing 5 years from now.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Several that we regularly sat with would come up with great add libs to the drawings in the WT and quote balloons. Gosh we would laugh.

and

There is this one family that are such hypocrites and yet answer literally on every other question. We had an entire series of stunts to make fun of them

and

I would often pull the cord while roving so you would have to hold the mic with both of your hands

and

when i was the reader I would show my socks - which would purposely have holes or be mismatched etc

and

when I was running the sound I would have a good angle to make faces and show notes to get you laughing

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

My height enabled me to compare cleavages when I was behind the magazine counter.

Walter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit