They know about UN debacle, but they simply don't care!

by Quotes 34 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gadget
    Gadget

I got a similar response when I talked to my dad about the un. I explained all about it, he believed me, but said 'I'm not actually that bothered about it' I said I bet the brothers in Malawi were pretty bothered about it, after all the persecution they had for not joing the political party. He was real quick to confirm that witnesses aren't allowed to join a political party, and would be df'd if they did, so when I compared that to the wbts joining the un he went real quiet. I also chose a time to discuss it when I was repairing the brakes on his car so he couldn't just stop talking, he had to stay with me to finish the job..........

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Thanks for the reply talesin!

No Apologies (of the I learn something new everyday class)

• garybuss
    garybuss

This is a group that actually thrives on adversity and disconfirmations. The Witnesses people actually seem immune to fact and reason.

It boils down to costs and benefits. What will it cost them to stay? Nothing! What will it cost them to leave? A LOT!

There is already a HUGE number of reasons to leave and those don't bother THEM. In my opinion the UN issue is much less of a problem than the change in the promised reward that occurred in 1995. They lost the "generation of 1914". They lost the "other sheep". They lost the "great crowd". Basically, they lost the promise they were all working for.

Their strong rigid beliefs were replaced by mush in 1995. Their leaders quit in 2000. The religion was divorced from the parent corporation in 2000. The writers say they don't know much of anything. The demands on the members are raised. None of this has an effect on people who like being Witnesses. In my opinion, nothing will. GaryB

• Quotes
    Quotes

garybuss, your points are both concise and insightful, as usual. And frankly, a dose of reality needed to quench the fantasy I have that I can get my Mum out of this stupid cult.

Gadget, when your Dad said he's "not bothered by this"; very interesting. The funny thing is, when JWs first hear about it, they go ballistic and say it is all apostate lies, and there is no way that could possibly be true. Clearly, it is significant when they think it is untrue; in fact it is so significant that by its very importance they are certain it can't possibly be true.

Then when confonted with irrefutable facts, suddenly it "does not bother" them.

"There is none so blind as one who will not see"

~Quotes, of the "Boutros Boutros-Russell" class

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

My ex-wife believed the evidence I showed her about the society's UN involvement, but thought "they must have had a good reason". She also thinks it's a non-issue now since they withdrew their membership.

They make up all kinds of excuses for the wrongdoing of the WTS, but the society never cuts individuals that kind of slack.

Walter

• El blanko
    El blanko
    I showed her about the society's UN involvement, but thought "they must have had a good reason".

That is the standard response. I have a kind of friend (who seems to be growing distant - wonder why ) who will not even take the time to read any literature that is seen to attack the ever so precious WTBS.

I get fed up of trying to be honest with you.

• exjdub
    exjdub

You can lead a horse to water...but you can't make him drink. It is extremely frustrating though, isn't it? Wouldn't it be wonderful to have 6 milllion people assume that you had good and benevolent reasons for everything that you did? Unfortunately, the opposite is true...the Dubs always assume the worst when the rest of us are concerned.

exjdub

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Quotes. Well I know you were expecting more, but the fact they did see the evidence as it was, is still a milestone I think. None of that Apostate/Demons/Satan B.S.

Remember, Baby steps.

• Quotes
    Quotes

You are right, xj2_b12! I never thought I would have come this far, and I never thought my DAD would have read anything I sent.

If nothing else, I can say I have made my point, and they have accepted it as factual. In other words, it wasn't "apostate lies".

• Beans
    Beans

Was the UN stuff on the same desk that was in the basement when we were kids? If there is still as much stuff on that desk bro it's even a miracle he got to it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit