WE JUST SAW "DAY AFTER TOMORROW"

by Mary 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Blondie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Now I'll have those nightmares again!!! Do you know how long it to take me to get that image out of my head?????

Regards,

Jim TX

• wasasister
    wasasister

Well, I didn't think it was a lousy movie, Mary. I thought it delivered exactly what it promised - which was NOT cinematic filmmaking at its finest. I went with no expectations except a thrill ride, and I got my money's worth.

And FWIW, I thought these characters were far more interesting than those in Independence Day. Of course we had the requisite "smart scientist who nobody listens to, even after the first million or so die" and the "I'm too mean to have ever been elected" politician and the "we're separated, but still care for each other, we're just waiting for a disaster to bring us back together" couple. Those segments could have been plugged in from any disaster movie.

However, I didn't go for plot or believability. I went for rollicking FX and for that, this movie kicked ass.

Wasa

• blondie
    blondie

We liked Independence Day, even bought the DVD. I guess we will go and take a ride.

Blondie

• Mary
    Mary
    Well, I didn't think it was a lousy movie, Mary. I thought it delivered exactly what it promised - which was NOT cinematic filmmaking at its finest. I went with no expectations except a thrill ride, and I got my money's worth........I didn't go for plot or believability. I went for rollicking FX and for that, this movie kicked ass.

If you go to a movie with no expectations or care what the plot is, then yes, this movie delivers. However, when I have to pay $12.00 for a movie, I DO expect a decent plot, not just special effects. I don't think it costs any more to write a good story than a lousy story, but apparently Hollywood hasn't caught on to that yet.

• wasasister
    wasasister
    I don't think it costs any more to write a good story than a lousy story, but apparently Hollywood hasn't caught on to that yet.

Au Contraire, Mary. It DOES cost more to write a decent script, or haven't you been paying attention to television lately? All these "reality" shows do not require the sort of clever writing that brought us Cheers, Frasier, The Cosby Show, and West Wing. Good writers are apparently rare in Hollywood these days, that's why we're subjected to the likes of Survivor and The Bachelor.

And where the heck are you going to the movies that it cost you $12??? I caught a matinee for $5.50. It was more fun than a Disney ride, lasted longer, and was a way better bargain.

I guess my point (not that it really matters) is that this isn't the type of movie where one expects great characters and plots. Leave that to The Pianist, The Hours, Adaptation, or other Independent films that do not have to cater to mass audiences.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

We saw it tonight also and we all like it. I'll try to say this without giving it away for those who haven't seen it yet but, I loved the part about the Mexican border. LMAO everyone had a good laugh over that.

• Curious Mind
    Curious Mind

Wow that brought back some memories Blondie , i havnt seen that picture for years but i remember sitting at the meeting imagining that crevasse opening up and sucking in people i didnt like.

• Larry
    Larry

Yeah, it was a little disappointing. But what really surprise me was the concession stand prices - small popcorn and small soda = $8.50

LL :)

• blondie
    blondie

We went yesterday and had a good time. I learned that it is not good to follow the crowd...oh, I know that already! The special effects were tremendous. We only paid $5.50 each going to the show before 6 helps.

Now Harry Potter, then Spiderman, then Catwoman, then The Village, man, I have take out a loan.

Blondie

• patio34
    patio34

Blondie,

Don't forget Stepford Wives with Nicole Kidman and Bette Midler! I think it's about June 10 or 11.

I'm going to see DAT today and will put up my review. It helps to know what to expect!

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit