What drives exJWs to atheism?

by ros 108 Replies latest jw friends

• Quester
    Quester

Sunchild/Rochelle wrote:
    "And Christianity itself isn't the only alternative, either."

I agree. There are lots of other choices out there besides
    Christianity.

And I would add that not all Christians are supernatural theists.
    "Supernatural theism" defined as belief in God as a separate being
    out there who sometimes intervenes in the world.

I have found some panentheists, some who just describe themselves as
    nontheists. To name some: Paul Tillich Protestant theologian, John
    Robinson, bishop of the Church of England, also John Shelby Spong and
    Marcus Borg who have been mentioned on the board from time to time.

Rochelle wrote:
    "I guess I just felt like pointing out that abandoning Christianity
    doesn't have to mean abandoning your spirituality, and that being an
    atheist doesn't mean this, either. You have to find your own path.
    You have to search your soul until you find what's right for you."

I think Abaddon? said something similar about just because you are
    an atheist doesn't mean you have no spirituality.

This might be a dumb question to some, but I'd really like to know...

What is spirituality to an atheist?

I have read that atheism is a rejection of a specific concept of God
    called supernatural theism.

Would you atheists agree or disagree with that?

Quester

• JanH
    JanH

Rochelle,

Atheism: The belief that there is no God.
    I lifted the definition right from Webster's New World Dictionary. If you disagree with it, please take it up with them.

Dictionaries are just attempts by philologers to document how words are used. They are not the law. On technical, philosophical and scientific terms, dictionaries are rarely very good. Which is why an article on some technical issue in Awake! will typically start by quoting Websters, while an article on the same issue in The Scientific American will not.

It is atheists who decides what atheists believe. That is pretty obvious.

This is a blanket statement that really cannot be tested. Are atheists arrogant? Some are, some are not.

Which is precisely what I said.

Not really. It would be meaningless if all you really meant was that there exists atheists who are arrogant, just as adherents of any belief systems can be arrogant. You necessarily must have meant something far more with your statement.

This is how normal speech differs from mathematics. When I ask you "do you know the way to the railway station?" it doesn't at all mean what I technically say. It means I want you to tell me the way, if you know it. Likewise, you did mean far more than what you said, and that is how everybody reading it would understand it: that arrogance was a characteristic pretty typical of those who promoted atheism.

But I will give you a few points for rhetoric here

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

• ros
    ros

Jan:
    Usually, as you well know, I have neither the interest nor the time to delve at length in these debates, but since it was I who started this thread, and admittedly I gave it an argumentive title which I should not have - for which I apologized to the atheists here (which nobody seems to have noticed - I will respond to you to some extent. I opened this can of worms, so I’ll take responsibility and reply to some of your points. However, I’m NOT going to get sucked into a looooong endless name-calling debate of God proof or what is logic or a debate about what is opinion and what is fact.

One of things this thread shows very well is that atheists here do not contradict what other atheists say no matter how absurd the claims the other has made. They only take issue with the points of the believers, AND vice-versa. That alone proves that both sides are biased. There were some absolutely ridiculous assertions made in a couple of atheist replies (I don’t need to name them), and not one atheist stooped to point out the absurdities of another atheist. Interesting!

First you ask a question, then you claim that those who claim logic lead them to disbelief are wrong, and when challenged on this, you "don't play those games." This has become a recurring pattern. If you can't deal with a rational discussion on these topics, why do you keep bringing it up?

Okay, Jan, I have referred back to your first response in this thread, and I don’t see a reference to any question I asked. What question are you referring to that relates to your reply?

Ros, do youself a favour and don't try to explain what logic is and is not. You haven't the faintest idea, as you repeatedly demonstrate.

Well now, Jan, I can think of at least three different valid definitions of “logic”. You seem to be cognizant of only one of them, the “scientific” model of logic. There is also the general definition that means “reasonable based on common sense”, and then there is computer “logic”.

Regarding the one (scientific) term you limit yourself to, let me submit some links with a few selected quotes on this subject of “logic”. The following will be quotes and links to articles of both atheists and of believers, on the subject of “logic” as it relates to belief in God, the “Christian God”, and/or the Bible. For the most part, I agree with the athesists’ assessments of “logic” as it relates to proving or disproving God, which is more than I can say for yours.

Quote from atheist philosopher Michael Martin in a rebuttal to believer Dr. Greg Bahnsen:
    Ref: http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/michael_martin/logic.html

Deductive Logic and the Claim of TAG (TAG=” Transcendental Argument for the Existence of God”)

Let us understand deductive logic to be the study of valid deductive arguments; that is, arguments in which the premises necessitate the conclusion. On this common understanding IF the premises of an argument are true, THEN the conclusion must be true. Deductive validity is determined by the form of the argument and not the content of the premises. An example of a valid deductive argument is:

All dogs are brown
    Rover is a dog
    ==============
    Therefore, Rover is brown.
    . . .
    . . . Does the rejection of logical conventionalism entail the truth of Christianity? In the Stein-Bahnsen debate, Stein assumed that deductive logic is a human convention that has nothing to do with God, Christian or otherwise.
    . . .
    Stein was in good company in adopting logical conventionalism. However, it is not the only position that is compatible with atheism and it is not clear that it is best position to take. One problem with this approach to logic is that it is unclear how one can interpret the law of non contradiction--not (p and non-p)--in pragmatic terms. This law is presupposed in all valid deductive reasoning and rational thought. However, the negation of this law is not just pragmatically suspect--it is a contradiction. As one commentator has put it under suitable conventions for the use of "not" and "and" one could not think or speak "in contravention of the principle which under the usual convention is expressed by 'not (p and not-p)'" Surely what is conventional is the language used to express the proposition that it is not the case that (p and not-p) and not the truth of the proposition itself.
    . . .
    Logic and Metaphysic
    However, it is a long way from admitting that the deductive validity , for example, is not conventional to the conclusion Bahnsen needs: namely, that deductive validity presupposes the Christian God. As Bahnsen himself argued there are many different interpretations of logic. No doubt. But on the vast majority of these interpretations

deductive validity is independent of God. What possible arguments could be constructed to arrive at the conclusion that deductive validity presupposes the Christian God? Perhaps this is what Bahnsen had in mind:
    (1) Either deductive validity is conventional or it is not.
    (2) If it is not conventional, it must have a metaphysical explanation.
    (3) If it has a metaphysical explanation, then the best metaphysical explanation is that it is created by the Christian God.
    (4) Deductive validity is not conventional.

Conclusion
    This part of TAG fails. Bahnsen

[ and JanH’s premisis 1 ] gave no good reasons why logic presupposes the Christian God. There is nothing inconsistent in asserting that deductively validity is possible and that Christianity is false. He seems to have misunderstood both materialism, and logical conventionalism. The argument that without the Christian God it would be a mystery of how logic applies to the world has been shown to be without merit. Logic may not need a metaphysical foundation as Bahnsen assumes and, even if it does, it need not be a Christian one. Moreover, the exact notion of a Christian account of logic is unclear. On one interpretation, it is incoherent and on another it is problematic.
    ======================

I agree with this because it seems Bahnsen is trying to prove God by logic. I agree with the contention that the existence or nonexistence of God is not deducible by logic. From my recollection of the study of “logic” (and its been a few years so don’t hold me to this being all-inclusive) is that the root of all logical deductions is based on an original premise that is “self-evident” and therefore not deducible by logic. For example, in math (the only “absolute science”), 0 and 1 cannot be deduced by math, but all other math is derived from this first “self-evident” assumption.

NOW, Jan, let’s evaluate your example of logical deduction that Farkel was sooo impressed with:

For example (pretty roughly):
    1. God exists.
    2. All that God creates are good.
    3. God has created everything.
    4. There exists something that is not good.
    There is a contradiction here between 2-4 and 1. We have demonstrated that given these premises, no God (1) exists.

Your first premise is not a premise, it’s a “presupposition”. If you trying to prove or disprove God, you cannot start out with a presupposition that “God exists”. Your first premise cannot be its own conclusion nor the opposite. At best your example would lend to logically substantiating or not the existence of “evil”, but this is where your premises conflict. Since your premises contradict each other, there is no basis for logical conclusion.

My view on your other premises is covered below in discussing “good” relative to the Genesis story.

LOL. Please explain how the order is significant. I am waiting.

Simple. How can be created “good” before it is created. If premises 2 is valid, there is no need for premisis 3. A thing cannot be created good before it is created. C’mon Jan. Its no biggee. its just that your example tends to suggest a certain “logical” order.

Second, the word “good”, if you are applying it in the sense of Genesis 1, and "good" in your premisis 4 have different meanings.One (2) means accomplished according to plan, and the other (4) means wicked or painful. The two do not correlate.

So you say, but you have done nothing to substantiate this assertion. of course, if there were two meanings of "good", your attempted debunking could be successful. I did not post that example of a deductive argument to prove god's nonexistence conclusively (which requires more elaborate work and discussion!), but to show that as long as premises and arguments are correct, the conclusion is necessarily true and in accordance with facts.

I agree with this point. However, your logic example starts out with an unsubstantiated premise, therefore it cannot be used to substantiate or illustrate your point.

Rather than argue the definition of the word “good” in the Genesis account, I’m going to address it on the assumption that your definition is correct, that the word “good” in Genesis 1-3 means “righteous”.

To begin with, I want to make it very clear that I and many other Christians hold the Genesis account to be Alegory—not intended to be taken literally. I’ll cite one text that I think illustrates this to be a fact:

Genesis 2:4
    These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

So here we have by its own account 6 days=generations=one day. Its allegory, folks.

When Genesis says that everything God made was “good” (whatever way you understand it) it was referring to those things mentioned that God had created. But in the second account of the same creation story, in Genesis 2:9
    “And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Right there, in the creation story’s own account, it acknowledges the existence of evil. Whether God created evil, or whether He made creation allowing for the possibility of evil, the existence of evil was stated as evident and knowable. The tree that God made (according to the allegory), at the very least, allowed access to evil. Whether God made evil or did not make evil is irrelevant to whether He exists.

Still, and above all else in this argument, your premise that everything God made is “good” is based on one allegory (Genesis 1) that if taken literally is not consistent with the next allegorical account (Genesis 2). Neither account provides substance for “proof” that a Creator does not exist, whether you like Him/Her/It or not. The existence of evil is no more a good argument that God does not exist than it would be to say that the existence of good proves the existence of God.

However, before this gets off on a prove-or-disprove-God by deductive reasoning (logic), we both know that cannot be done.

Of course that is just rubbish. The universe does behave in accordance with deductive logic. There exists and cannot exist anything that leads into a logical contradiction. What you say above it totally absurc, and again demonstrates you don’t know what logic is.

LOL! Here are some more “logic” links for you, Jan.

http://library.thinkquest.org/25448/thinkqst.htm
    http://library.thinkquest.org/25448/God.htm

http://hindunet.org/alt_hindu/1995_Jul_2/msg00002.html
    QUOTE this atheist:
    "God Exists ?" A talk in logic
    Is There God ?
    A talk between an A. Atheist/Agnostic B. Betul C. Christian

A. Can you logically prove that god exists ?

B. Yes. Proof in any system requires Axioms. For example in
    Euclidean Geometry 5 axioms are taken to be true bu their
    virtue. Proofs for other theorems are based on these. In a
    system, god's existance can be taken as an axiom and used to
    build an explaination for the universe or can be proved using
    appropriate axioms.

A. In the same way, I can also prove that there is no god.

B. In the same way, I can prove that you do not exist. In fact,
    did you know that you are just a dynasaur's dream ? But you say
    you exist. Why do you say so ? How do you know you exist ?
    Cotigo ergo sum ?

A. Because I know I exist. I feel myself with my senses.

B. But it could be a "maya", an illusion.

A. It could be. but I believe it is not.

B. Similarily people know, feel and believe god to exist.

A. But you could not prove god's existance.

B. I just "proved" that a challenge such as prove god exists
    is illogical.

A. But that leaves us where we were. I am still not convinced
    god exists.

=========================

And while we’re at it, here are a few choice quotes from the Talk Origins site (a predominantly skeptic site, but it has excellent information, especially on the subject of evolution):

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-god.html
    From talk.origins FAQ - God and Evolution:
    Q1: Doesn't evolution contradict religion?
    Not always. Certainly it contradicts a literal interpretation of the first chapter of Genesis, but evolution is a scientific principle, like gravity or electricity. To scientifically test a religious belief one first must find some empirical test that gives different results depending on whether the belief is true or false. These results must be predicted before hand, not pointed to after the fact.
    Most religious beliefs don't work this way. Religion usually presupposes a driving intelligence behind it, and an intelligent being is not always predictable. Since experiments judging religious beliefs cannot have predictable results, and may give different results under the same circumstances it is not open to scientific inquiry. St. Augustine commented on this in _The Literal Meaning of Genesis_.
    . . .
    Q4. If evolution is true, then isn't the whole Bible wrong?
    First let me repeat that the underlying theme of the first book of Genesis can't be scientifically proven or disproven. No test has ever been found that can tell the difference between a universe created by God, and one that appeared without Him. Only certain interpretations of Genesis can be disproven.

Q5: Does evolution deny the existence of God?
    No. See question 1. There is no reason to believe that God was not a guiding force behind evolution. While it does contradict some specific interpretations of God, especially ones requiring a literal interpretation of Genesis 1, few people have this narrow of a view of God.
    There are many people who believe in the existence of God and in evolution. Common descent then describes the process used by God. Until the discovery of a test to separate chance and God this interpretation is a valid one within evolution.

On the believers’ side, here’s an interesting site from a scientist (physicist). (Anybody want to venture a guess as to how many of the atheists here will look these up and read them?

Tim Stout a physicist.
    http://www.innercite.com/~tstout/cs/welcome.shtml

Also these:
    http://solargeometry.com/index.htm
    http://solargeometry.com/Proofs.htm

========================
    Okay, Jan this is my response. After this, with your inevitable brilliant rebuttals like “this is rubbish” etc., I’m going to let you have the last word. This is as far as I’m taking time on this futility.

I’m sorry I started this thread, but this is as far as I’m going to own up to it. It just takes too much time for nothing gained. I agree with Mulan.

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

Peaceloveandharmony,

so for about a year, i've been reading, soaking up a lot of info from these discussion boards and books. and i've discovered that *I*, personally, do not need faith or belief in god/gods/goddesses to live an enjoyable and fulfulling life. i alone am responsible for that.

It's good to have options, isn't it? For me, it wasn't a matter of needing something to believe in; it was a matter of finding a name that fit all the stuff I believed already, without the JW influence.

I first ran across the term Wicca while I was still a JW, surfing the Web and looking at some women's personal Web sites. I read a bit. I read a bit more. And as I read, I felt the most incredible longing, like what I was learning was... the expression of something powerful within myself that I couldn't quite name, but which I longed to explore. Since I was a JW then, though, I squashed it and convinced myself that it was evil. From what I've heard, just about everyone (and I still haven't found the exception) who ends up following a Pagan path says, "This is what I've felt all along. I just didn't know it had a name."

I know you didn't ask for any of this, but I just had to reminisce a bit. Thanks for your patience.

*Rochelle.

---------
    "Most men complacently accept 'knowledge' as 'truth'. They are sheep, ruled by fear."
    -- Sydney Losstarot, "Vagrant Story."

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

Jan, I think you might be God. You definitely have a supernatural talent for making mountains out of molehills.

It is atheists who decides what atheists believe. That is pretty obvious.

Even without the subtle condescention of "That is pretty obvious" tagged on, yes, I know that. When I used the dictionary definition, I was only establishing a point of reference, which is pretty much what I was getting at when I told you to take it up with Webster's. If I've offended you in some way by using the dictionary instead of scouring infidels.org for something you'd find suitable, I apologize.

Not really. It would be meaningless if all you really meant was that there exists atheists who are arrogant, just as adherents of any belief systems can be arrogant. You necessarily must have meant something far more with your statement.

I don't know if you read the whole post or not, but I haven't tried to hide anything. Here's the rest of that paragraph again, just for your benefit:

I've also noticed a weird sort of arrogance among some people who embrace Atheism. It becomes more than just an outlook or opinion: it becomes a sign (at least to them and others like them) of belonging to some sort of intellectual elite. Truthfully, it looks to me like the mirror image of the arrogance Christian Fundies have about their alleged monopoly on life's truths.

It means exactly what it says: some -- not all, but SOME -- atheists seem to think that their atheism makes them intellectually superior to everyone else, and they end up showing the same arrogant attitude as Christian Fundies. I thought I had made myself pretty clear. Then you tried to twist my words and apply them to all atheists, which was never my intention:

This is a blanket statement that really cannot be tested.

If I had said that all atheists were as arrogant as Xtian Fundamentalists in their conviction that they alone have the truth, that would have been a blanket statement. But I said no such thing, simply because that's not what I believe. As I told you before, what I meant is what I said. I have no reason to lie to you.

But I will give you a few points for rhetoric here

<g> When I told you to pay attention, I was just playing with you. I've noticed that for some odd reason, you seem to really, really like debating with me, and this little game of cat and mouse between us can be fun. But trying to talk about these things with me isn't the same as debating with Christians. I don't feel any need to try and impress you with fancy words or quotes from famous dead guys to prove that my, uh, "education" is bigger than yours.

To me, this realm -- spiritual stuff -- is strictly a place of opinions, not facts. Yes, I'd like to make myself understood, but I really have nothing to prove to you. What are you trying to prove to me?

*Rochelle.

---------
    "Most men complacently accept 'knowledge' as 'truth'. They are sheep, ruled by fear."
    -- Sydney Losstarot, "Vagrant Story."

• spinner
    spinner

Jan, You state God made "evil" when He made the tree of good and evil
    All he made was a tree which gave man the choice of free will. Just
    because Adam and Eve chose to exercise their free will meant they knew God was not a dictator, and acted as they wished.
    All evil was, was death and the preceeding degeneration. That fruit
    slowly acted on the immune system, and allowed anaeobic bacteria to
    metabolize foods into hormones, which collected over the years, and
    caused death.

WE all have free will. Look what it has done to the earth. We are
    on the brink of complete destruction of our planet because we have no
    respect for living according to God's ways.

God could have killed Adam and Eve immediately, but would have ap-
    peared a true bully and murderer (Dedalus), but has allowed the most
    harmless uncleaness to continue to prove that his way of doing things
    is the only way(keeping his laws) Remember He destroyed Sodom. He
    will end very soon this FREE WILL by armageddon. He no longer has to
    prove His ways are the right ways.

You don't believe in God? Your choice of free will HE GAVE YOU.

• ros
    ros

outnfree:

Firstly, what if Adam and Eve hadn't eaten of the tree of knowledge AND ALSO HADN'T EVER EATEN OF the tree of life? WOULD they have lived forever?

Well we can only speculate on the allegory, but I suggest that most people would eat of a tree that would keep them alive. :) Sort of like eating, period.
    According to the story, if they ate of the tree of life, they could live forever even though they had eaten of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. That's why they had to be put out of the garden where the tree was. What is not suggested is whether they would have to eat of it once to live forever or continually eat from it.

• ros
    ros

teejay:
    The only point I originally intended to make is that fundamentalists, especially never-been-a-JW evangelicals, who come into exJW discussion groups to preach, succeed in steering more people to atheism than they "win souls" for their trinitarian Christianity. I did not MEAN to imply that ALL exJW atheists became atheists because of debates with fundamentalists.
    HOWEVER, let me quote one of JanH's statements in this thread:

The reason that such a disproportionate number of exJWs on these message boards are non-believers, is presicely because of the theism debates . . .

I rest my case. :D

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Sunchild,

ROTFLMBO

You have a unique way with words.

JanH being God, mountain out of mole hills, LMBO

• Farkel
    Farkel

spinner,

Good name. It fits.

: I used to be hurt that the God I worshipped could order the killing of entire cities, then, I read about early man, who ate their parents when they reached a certain age, and other horrible unclean practices.

Red herring. God is not man, and to compare what God does with what man does is to 1) Denigrate God and 2) Change the subject.

The issue is not what man does, but what the CREATOR of man does/did. Man is supposed to live up to God's standards. God is not supposed to live down to man's standards. Do you understand this, or shall I use visual aids?

: One person told me, mother rattlers raise baby rattlers. When you really care to know why God ordered such acts, you try to understand.

Your argument slumps further. NOW you are comparing God's acts with acts of stupid reptiles! It's bad enough to try to justify what God does because of what his highest human creation, Man does, but now you are trying to justify what God does because of one of his very LOWER creations the rattlesnakes do. Good grief!

: We can always search for something to stumble us.

Red herring. You sound like a dub. If facts "stumble" us then the claimed "truth" is crap. Should we feel bad if we are "stumbled" by FACTS? Yes, or no.

: If you are a parent, your children don't always know why you do what you do.

Your children would not be wrong in asking you as a parent why you frequently wiped out entire civilizations by your command, or once when you personally wiped out the entire planet by your will, and plan to do the same thing any time now, would they? I don't think that is an unfair question of a sentient child to ask of his parent, do you? Especially if that parent is God who is supposed to be full of Godlike mercy and forgiveness.

Besides that, if the child did not dare ask such a question, then that doesn't give one a lot of confidence in the fairness or honesty of the parent? Or is that parent or those morons who claim to represent him trying to hide pesky facts about him?

: How can we always feel we are capable of understanding the mind of God?

The Bible God is a cold-blooded, bloodthirsty, genocidal maniac. Those are facts for those who believe in the Bible to be a factual account about God in history. He has no problem with having little children hacked to death, with infants being held by their legs and having their little brains splattered against a wall, with having parents kill and eat their own children because he personally decided to bring a famine upon those poor hapless parents, with murdering the first-born of ALL children in a world empire because a Pharoah was a jerk, with having his "chosen" people take tens of thousands of little girls as sex-slaves from a culture they massacred (Lev. 31) and from other unspeakable atrocities the Bible talks about.

Yep, I'm "stumbled." The Bible did it. It wasn't another person who stumbled me. It wasn't demonism that stumbled me; it was the Bible in its raw and unvarnished gore that stumbled me. The Bible God is a monster and if you would actually READ the Bible you would understand why your argument falls flat on its face.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit