Where is the MONEY REALLY GOING? -- Special Assembly Days, etc

by EyeDrEvil 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil

I have always wondered why it cost so much to "rent" the space used for local Special Assembly Days and Circuit Assemblies.... In our case, the Society built a large ASSembly Hall, on donated farm land (= free), in the middle of some corn fields 20 miles outside of Columbus, Ohio... The property has a couple of apartments where some of the Travelling Overseers live, who help with the upkeep of the building. Cleaning the building was taken care of because of our "privilege" to go out the day before the assembly to get it in good shape (free housekeeping and maintenance work).

SO, the Society owns the building. It was built on free land. It was maintained by free labor.

YET, a 2 day ASSembly costs more than $7000..... Why $7000? Where does this number come from? I never knew electric and heating/AC cost so much!!! Of course, we never would have passed the collection plate (as they do in..[cue scary music]... "Christiandom"....), but the announcement from the podium was always too obvious --- "Brothers, at this time, we are short $5000 in donations for this weekend harvest waste of time...)

It always seemed dishonest to me. Any thoughts?

EyeDrEvil

• heathen
    heathen

So let me guess , at the end of the assemby the numbers were magically accurate enough to pay for everything and all the dubbies in the building applauded their ability to dig deeper in their pockets .

• blondie
    blondie

Answered elsewhere, but will repeat.

$4,000 donation to WTS

$2,500 to upkeep of AH fund (future renovations and maintenance)

$500 supplies for assembly/cleaning supplies/paper towels/toilet paper

Blondie (first 2 may vary)

(per report from elder)

• Odrade
    Odrade

missed that one before Blondie, thanks.

I always wondered about the monthly account report at the KH. They would say we were running at a deficit for the month, yet they would send $500 to the WT for the worldwidework. I always thought that was a little dumb because weren't the local halls part of the worldwidework? Also that there had to be all these separate boxes for donations, and if you wanted to donate to local hall upkeep you better make damn well sure you didn't put your twenty in the www box. geez. collection plates would make lots more sense.

O

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, Odrade, I posted a quote from the December 2003 KM admonishing the elders about not sending money to the society and spending it on the local KH. They accused them of taking the money from the worldwide and KH bldg boxes to pay the mortgage and utilities.

Blondie

• Crooked Lumpy Vessel
    Crooked Lumpy Vessel

The same thing happened at our cornfield assembly hall. Last May they announced a deficit, so as I was leaving I dropped a 10 spot in the box. Then October came around and they announced last assembly money with 5,000 going to Brooklyn. As a result, we were in a deficit again this year and of course were asking for donations again. My hubby and I in private both agreed that a 7,000 operating cost was way too excessive. Is $5,000 the standard donation fee for the WTS?

Probaly another one of those secrets.

Plus, has anyone ever talked about the voting? I mean...like who is going to say "NAY" in front of everybody. Now put it in a private voting booth and I betcha the outcome might be different.

• kls
    kls

After these so called expences, i would love to see the personnal back accounts of the kings in the castle.

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil

Blondie,

SO, when they were saying that the fees were generated from expenses of that weekend get-together, it was NOT in fact for operating costs, but rather a "franchise fee" paid to the WTS for using their "new light." Rather dishonest, if you ask me! If they had just said that they wanted to send a kajillion dollars to the Society for the worldwide work, then at least that would have been shooting straight.

WHAT???? The Watchtower Society LIED to ME??? Oh, yea, just another episode in the life of the king-Dumb Halls... why should I be surprised...

EyeDrEvil

• New Castles
    New Castles

You know what got me was in the meetings when they would ask the cong about the CO expenses on the week of his visit. It was put to vote whether you agreed to pay for the expenses or not. Everyone always voted yes, I never remember anyone ever raising their hand no. I wonder what would've happened if someone would have voted no, would they have been counseled???

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Castles,

That never made sense to me either. They shouldnt even ask.

And whats with the I second the notion thing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit