What's the craziest thing you ever heard at the Kingdom Hall or Assembly?

by Mr Ben 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lmao... i guess the figure that if you throw enough bodies at them they will get tired and collapse.

A clear sign that they view the Rand & File as being of very little value. People ready to be used and then tossed to the side.

• exjdub
    exjdub

2 crazy things (although I am not sure they are even the craziest, I will have to think about it.):

Keene, New Hampshire about 12 years ago: A young sister was complaining to me in service one day that she, and two other sisters, all 18 years old and above, were counseled by the elders for going to a movie at the local movie theater together. She said the elder that was leading the charge said that young woman should not be going to the movies together without chaperones. Being the good MS that I was, I didn't say too much to the young sister, other than to question whether she was sure that she heard the counsel correctly. I was sure that there had to be more to it. Nope...the elder confirmed it. Young sisters should not be going out at night, even in a group, to a movie theater. Can you say dark ages?

Same elder, same Cong.: My wife had a talk and was in the first school. After the meeting was over the elder approached me and said that if my wife had been in his school (2nd) that night, he would not have let her deliver her talk because of her dress. He said that the neckline was too low. He proceeded to counsel me about it and made a huge deal out of it. Trying to be cooperative, I asked if that was the consensus of the BOE. He said that he had not mentioned it to them but that the "conscience of the congregation" is what spurred his comment. Again, trying to cooperate, I asked if someone had taken offense, because her dress appeared fine to me. His reply? He said that nobody said anything, he just "knew" the conscience of the congregation and that he felt the need to counsel me.

I asked him what exactly he was looking for as an example of what she should wear and he pointed to a group of older sisters. ALL of them had either turtlenecks on, or tops that were all the way up to the neck! At the time we were pretty much living hand to mouth, like a lot of dubs, so I turned back to him and said that it was never going to happen, but that if he wanted to pass along some money, I would give it to my wife to go shopping for some clothes that she might like. I never heard anything more after that...

Have I said recently that I am thrilled to be free?

exjdub

• Swan
    Swan

"Sister's should not wear dark nylons because prostitutes wear dark nylons!"

Tammy

• exjdub
    exjdub
    ?If a gang of worldly football fans come in and start causing trouble, just surround them but keep your hand by your sides at all times even if they get violent.?

BWHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I bet after a little while the impact of your face on their fists would tire their hands out and they would quit. What's the big deal about a few missing teeth when sacraficing them to Jehovah?

• exjdub
    exjdub

Another one just came to mind. Do any of you remember WT & Awake articles about persecution in the 70's? I believe it was during the Malawi persecution that there was an article wherin a brother recounted that his tormenters beat the bottoms of his feet for a long time. But, he just prayed to Jehovah and the pain magically went away. Now, he didn't comment about his feet looking like hamburger or anything, but no doubt everything turned out A-OK!

Another persecution story went that there was a big and strong brother who, while in the concentration camp, relied on his own strength and soon wasted away to nothing. It was not until he gave up trying to withstand the persecution with his own strength, and relied completely on Jehovah, that he gained back some strength and was able to survive. shyaaa...right! I wish I knew how I remember that stuff from so long ago, but I sure wish I could vacuum it out of my brain.

exjdub

• gumby
    gumby

This is a different kind of crazy.....but it's crazy,

A CO was giving a talk and he said that "the "world"....doesn't know what love is, only those who know Jehovah know what love is, and that is found only among his people".

That was crazy, nuts, a lie, stupid, non-sense, idiotic, and downright rude. I guess he figures worldly people aren't humans with real feeling's unless they have been baptised as a witness. I still wished I would have smacked that guy.......nothings ever ticked me off like that as far as a comment went.

Gumby

• heathen
    heathen

Probly the dummest thing I heard , I only went to a couple of these conventions, was when the president of the WTBTS showed up here in ft. worth , I can't remember his name it was back in the the late 80's or early 90's . He stated with confidence that the anointing cutting off date was 1935 and was sign of how close the end was .

• amac
    amac

I wish I had crazy stuff like this happen when I was active! I love confrontations!

Mine is mild compared, but in my cong there was an elder who didn't amount to much in the secular world so he liked to abuse his authority. He was constantly bothering me about my hair being too long, sideburns being too long, clothes being too wild, etc. Then I left for Bethel. Came back over a year later to visit and went to the circuit assembly. I wore a bow tie, which was very uncommon on the west coast. Sitting at lunch with the Assembly Overseer and another elder...this jerk elder comes up and without even saying "Hi, nice to see you again" said he didn't think my bow tie was appropriate. I told him that was odd, because I had gotten the idea from Schroeder on the GB (i didn't get the idea from him, but he does wear them.) He just walked away.

• brooklynNY
    brooklynNY

The conductor at the book study I was attending once make this weird comment regarding the tower of Babel. He said that mankind?s knowledge was advancing too quickly and if God didn?t confuse the people by changing their languages, they would develop the technology to space travel and discover Jehovah?s other inhabited planets. He also said that by confusing the languages God brought himself several thousands years before man would acquire the technology to travel at the speed of light.

• mrbarthoss
    mrbarthoss

the strangest thing that comes to mind is the guy that opened a meeting with a 5-minute prayer, in which, he referred to God as "poppa", not once or twice, but a dozen or more times - I also remember a story that was related to me in which the WT conductor called on the brother standing in the back of the Kingdom Hall (attendant):"Brother Paine,....in the rear"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit