Strange Phone Call

by Bendrr 44 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Bendrr,

I believe I attended Shiela's wedding, as I remember she married a highschool sweetheart? And I do recall the guy was not a real prize to say the least. She was a really nice girl, with so much to offer. Unbelievable as it may seem, I remember her showing me her highschool yearbook, a whole section of pictures was devoted to those (highschool!) couple already engaged, even before reaching senior year. That was the custom of the day. Family and child-rearing was what the girl's were taught, as their ultimate destiny.

I did date a college girl from the area (a witness), even though she was a total knock-out, a keeper, I of course being the company-man that I was, had to listen to all the advice relating to anyone seeking higher education blah blah blah. So never will know where that might of gone.

So sorry to hear about Drexel's arm. Was it a tractor accident, harvester?

McCrainies lived across the road from the Weeks. I remember Janice she was a living clone of Barbra Mandrell as I recall it. Did you know the McCranies?

Fun recalling those days. Thanks Bendrr.

Danny

The

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Hey there Dana! Welcome to the Georgia Reunion!
    I've heard of the McMahons but never met them, before my time.
    Mike Reagan is my 3rd Cousin and I know him and his family very well. Married a girl named Becky in the 70's and had 3 kids. Now lives near Augusta, GA but I haven't talked to him since before I was df'd in 92. If you knew him, you had to know Jimmy Reagan and my step dad Charlie Ganas.
    Pat Reagan is a name I have heard but don't remember her personally.
    If you know those Reagans, you absolutely HAVE to remember Oliver Reagan. Some people called him Otis or Otis Oliver. Strange critter.
    So tell me what is your association with Perry?

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Danny, his name was Bobby Spires from Warner Robins. No keeper, indeed. Honestly though, his biggest sin looking back was being a fun-loving jock who rode a motorcycle which was a big sin in these parts.
    Sheila was so sweet, though. A real country girl and so easy to talk to about matters of the heart. She had a natural beauty and could always tell when someone needed a smile.
    Sure miss those two, but Bobby was still an idiot!

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hey Bendrr...thanks for the warm reception

I'm from Florida and only visited Perry when I was a child. Rod and Nancy McMahan are my uncle and aunt. They lived in Perry for a number of years and he served as an elder, perhaps the PO...I can't recall. But I only vaguely remember the Reagans; all I can remember about Mike is that he was very friendly and seemed like a great guy. I also had some other family from that area...Don Matthews married one of my aunts and another aunt married a guy named Myron Hough, who was also an elder in Perry (and actually a pretty despicable human being IMO)...
    so this is pretty cool, thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Dana

"A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born."
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

• joelbear
    joelbear

I spent a lot of time with the Skwarlos since I was the only white Witness kid in Jesup Georgia in the 60's. I mean, the ONLY one.

Norma taught me to play a few songs on the Piano.
    Frank taught me how to scare bad dogs away out in field service by pretending to pick up a rock.
    Norma fed me my first and last venison burger.
    They took care of me when my mother was in the hospital in Brunswick. I stayed with them since dad was over there taking care of mom.
    I spent many many hot July and August Wednesdays with them out in service, all day.

They were good people I agree, just dedicated their life to the wrong thing. But, I'm sure all the kids they met along the way remember them fondly.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Dana and Bendrr,

You guys made me dream about Georgia 'on my mind' last nite.

Dana the McMahon name sounds very familiar. In those day's the witness community in GA was very close knit. I think we went to Perry one day to help tear down an old barn or train depot, someone let the brother's have the lumber, for use in building the KH. I hate to keep bringing up juvenile girl watching, but that happened to be what my mind was dwelling on at that time of my life. Go figure. Did the McMahon's have a daughter in her teen's or early twenties? (1966)

Anyone having the southern heritage, can be proud. The people I met while living there were extrodinary, in many ways. Love of family and a sense of community, I have not since been able to find. Of course as is true with any region, the black vs. white is not to pretty, but from what I have heard, great strides have been made in that area of late.

Nice chatting with guys.

Danny

• DrunkWithLiberty
    DrunkWithLiberty

Hey guys,
    Do any of y'all know Neil Greenwell or his brothers gary and Wayne?
    (my husbands uncles).
    Angeleah

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hey Danny,

I am appalled at the racial divisions and attitudes that still exist in the south today...but I am also proud of my southern heritage, the good bits anyway!

The McMahans have 5 children...Clay, Kelly, Colleen, Rhonda, and Rodney. Lessee...in 1966 I was only 1 yr old...and my youngest cousin is 3 or 4 years older than me, so I think maybe Clay and Kelly were in their early teens then. But I'm not sure if they were even living in the area at that time...hard for me to get the timing right. But I do remember that there were many kind and warm folks in that congregation. Does anyone remember a guy named Bernie?? Can't remember his last name but he stands out in my memory.

Dana

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Joel,

I sympathize with the all day 'field service'....if I remember on negative about GA it was those damn little 'black fly's', they seemed to swarm for your mouth and eye's...coupled with the sweltering humidity, door to door was pure torture. Trying to give your sermon while constantly batting those little bugger's was not fun!

Some of the old timer's wouldn't even notice them. I was always glad when winter came. Man I loved the thunder and lighting storms. I can remember the thunder literally shaking the entire house. It was on those kinda nites, I would curl up and read James Mischner....who I can truly say now, got my Jw brain cells thinking 'outside the box'.
    Since then I have read his entire 'works'. Ever read him?

Danny

• bjc2012
    bjc2012

Bendrr,

I know the Colemans well. I pioneered in the Hawkinsville congregation up to 1991 where Elery was on the committee to DF me as an apostate. When I left the congregation he and his family were separated. He was still in Hawkinsville and his wife and daughters had moved to Orlando, FL. I know Roger Thompson, I think, if he is the one in Hawkinsville. His wife had cancer although I don't know what has happened to her.

My brother served as an elder in the Fort Valley Congregation and knew the Skwarlos very well. Were you ever in that congregation? If so, when?

bjc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit