What gives you your spiritual high now?

by poppers 30 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I wish I had tailsin's spirit,,to the extent that she has it,,,I 've had some similar experience of nature,,just being in love with nature,,if you can be in love with nature,,you can take what ever nature dishes out to you.

I've gotten at times very sad over the death of a tree,,so sad that I found it unproductive,,then I've gone back to being more callous about other creatures concerns,,,Now I'm kinda in the middle,,I love nature,,but I know nature kills without feeling bad,,it was human nature that makes us what we are,,,we eat lots of other animals it's not bad,, it's not good,, it is just nature.

Learning to accept nature or maybe incorrectly said loveing nature??

I guess I would say: You can get high if you want to,,if you do you will prolly like nature a whole lot more.

d

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

reading the Bible without the interference of watchtower. I find that I pick up the bible and pray much more now than I ever did before.

I been trying to build some true faith. I have been following the suggestions of fellow ex dub to look to the writings of the first early christians as these writings were close to the time of Christ. This has been very spiritually refreshing.

Wannaexit

• talesin
    talesin

frankiespeakin

Last fall, after Hurricane Juan, I cried many tears over the thousands of beautiful trees that were destroyed. My favorite tree, a Japanese oak, it was so tall, was lost, pulled up by its roots. I used to sit beneath it and gaze up into its branches, meditating, going into the zone, being calmed by its wonderful symmetry. So I grieved for the loss of this lovely giant. But, yes, it is 'natural'. Unlike what some humans do to each other.

I understand how you feel, hon. From reading the forum, I can see healing in your posts, as time goes on. Keep up the good work. Since I could remember, I only wanted to be dead. My depression was so deep. The only thing that made sense in this big old world was nature. I can always count on mother earth to be who she is, with no evil intent towards me or anyone. She never lets me down. Yah, sometimes bad things happen, but the cycles of nature always rejuvenate if we allow them to. So soak it up all you can, be 'in love' with nature, there's nothing wrong with that. Seek out those with good intent, surround yourself with kind souls who love nature as well.

talesin

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I found that spirituality isn't about such a high. As far as nature goes, I agree - but what isn't nature? In the big picture even a piece of plastic is nature too, and so are we. I think it's more helpful to look at it as appreciating life, not this human life but life in general, which is just to say the movement of nature. One of the wisest things I've ever heard in this regard is: "Why is there anything at all?"

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Doing good deeds to the needy ones. It always makes me think of Christian quality.

• poppers
    poppers

To Evesapple -

You have found a great truth - right here right now is where "it's" at and nothing has to be done to find it - so the best thing is one doesn't have to go anywhere at all.

To Willyloman -

Yes, it is AMAZING how simple it is.

To Markfromcali -

I know what you are saying.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

When I was young my family was very large. My mother was a yeller, there was always noise and chaos in the house (7 kids). We lived in rural Montana on the outskirts of a small town. From a very young age I learned to hike up into the mountains next to my house into the cedar groves. When I was really young and doing this I would clear a space of the needles and debris and make myself a space. Then I would throw myself down under the tree and read. Sometimes I would imagine that there were elves and fairies in the trees. I know that I found serenity there in those woods. I found that sanctuary in those trees until I left the area at 19. These days I only have to smell cedar to go back there in my mind.

As an adult I found this spirituality when hiking in the mountains, especially in the dense forest. But it wasn't until later in life that this all coalesced into a realization that this is my spirituality. This place is my temple, and my goddess (your god or jesus) resides there as surely as in any house of worship.

Now if I'm particularly stressed out, I head for the woods. And yes, I very often hug trees, or just put my hand on them. It seems you can get a sense of being grounded and centered by meditating on the tree putting down its roots and drawing sustainance from the earth, and from spreading its branches up towards the heavens for light and rain. And so I stand there for a minute and draw on that same energy. And its funny how your troubles seem to ease away.

Yesterday I did some yoga for the first time, I was amazed at how spiritual that was as well.

all righty, done rambling...

Gretchen

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Gretch,,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post,,I think I'm going to start hugging trees more.

Under the influence of Shrooms,,I have weeped coupious tears for fallen trees,,when I saw one once it was a California bay leaf tree,,and it lost it's life from errosion,,there were several older trees that were near it and I felt that they too morned the loss of thier family member, that were join not only by touching each others branches,,but "much more intimately" by the roots. The tears came in floods and it felt totally right and pure and good.

Again thanks for your story it made my day.

• poppers
    poppers

Gretchen - what a great story! You remind me of Anne of Green Gables and how totally open she was to nature and how she would lose herself while absorbed in it, and how she imagined wood elves and fairies dancing and hiding among the plants and foilage. If you haven't read the book please do, I know you will love it and relate to her experiences - the first two movies are especially good as well, Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea, forget about the third one though.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I'm glad you mentioned yoga Gretchen. I think this really goes right along with enjoying nature, because our bodies is closer to nature than our minds, which may be filled with a bunch of thoughts from religion like the JWs. When we're out enjoying nature, we certainly enjoy through the senses - we can't have that just by thinking, you gotta have the body to have your senses after all. That is the way we were programmed into believing the JW worldview, it was thought driven. Lately people on the board have posted about a visceral response to being in the organization just before they got out, the body tends to be more in tune with nature than the mind is. So enjoying living in the body can be a great way to go beyond the JW stuff.

Frankie, remind me to play you a song called Alive Again Today, I was reminded of it reading your last post..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit