Coincidences?

by Agent 1 of 1 60 Replies latest watchtower bible

• roybatty
    roybatty

My question has always been...why not God? There are probably millions of people who really, REALLY want to do what God expects of them but maybe could use a little more "evidence" that God cares about them personally. What harm could possibly come from God showing His face for the first time in 2,000 years and doing a little leg work? Appear before the UN general assembly and give them a stirring speech, give mankind the cure for AIDS or cancer. Or just give us a "thumbs up" that He's still there and cares about us.

I could write a long letter to my kids, telling them what to do and all the wonderful things I did for them and tell them how much I love them. But if I'm not around to directly demonstrate my love, can I really expect them to love me back?

• El blanko
    El blanko
    Time and time again they have been let down. Many former believers have turned into non-believers because of this lack of evidence.

Well I can't speak for those ones of course. Who do you refer to by the way?

I started a thread the other day called "smoke & orbs" which had very little interest shown towards it. I had further information to share, but frankly couldn't be bothered.

I have questioned why I come here lately as it doesn't help my quest for further knowledge relating to occult phenomenon. I have no great interest in arguing the toss with people who just rely upon the objective realm of thought to help rationalize this reality. Not everything I have seen and experienced can be tied to clear patterns of human logic.

It is my belief that we have blocked an intuitive part of ourselves that we as a species used to be intouch with. I also believe that deeper learning is not necessarily tied to the towers of academia constructed by man. That's where I come from, so I am a mystic at heart.

As for the events witnessed by several people I know being simply psychological illusions and sensory perception errors - well, I do not see it that way and no, these events are unlikely to occur when under scrutiny by an interested party, who is simply there to support a faith that is either shakey or non-existent. By their nature these experiences tend to be rather personal. I do not doubt the validity of 3 of the witnesses I know personally and have spoken to at length. They have no particular agenda, do not use drugs, do not have severe mental illness and do not engage generally in flights of fancy in their every day lives. Why should I doubt their claims or try and force their experiences into a rationalized construct?

Take care - I respect that you have the right not to believe and that's fine by me.

• rem
    rem

El Blanko,

No problem. I do sense a certain anti-intellectual vibe from you, though. I think you should check out the occult for yourself - really check it out. Many just get the warm an fuzzies from the mystical books they read. If that's good enough for you, then fine... but if you want a deeper understanding, I recommend you look at both sides.

Trust me, life was not better when people were supposedly in touch with some mystical force. This myth just cracks me up. Just imagine being treated for an illness by a witch doctor. I don't believe it's merely happenstance that the quality and length of life are greatly improved in the last century or so all because of science. Mysticism hasn't added one jot to humanity - it's only kept people ignorant and superstitious.

Also, before you shrug off the reality of perception illusions I would suggest doing some research on them. They are real and they are powerful. They don't just happen to crazy people - it's normal human nature and behavior.

A couple of parapsychologists who were originally believers but became unbelievers due to deeper investigation are Susan Blackmore and Ray Hymann. I can probably dig up several others.

>> I started a thread the other day called "smoke & orbs" which had very little interest shown towards it. I had further information to share, but frankly couldn't be bothered.

Sorry I missed that thread, I've been really busy lately. :)

rem

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Rem:

Maybe there really is a phenomenon? Without hard data, there is now way to tell.

So you reserve room for such a speculation (good), but you not only rule it out for yourself (fine), but encourage others to drop it(not so good)?

Trust me, life was not better when people were supposedly in touch with some mystical force.

Why should we trust you any more than our own experience?

El Blanko:I missed that thread, too. Sorry.
    Like you, I tended to get jaded attempting to discuss such subjects, because they often get railroaded by the skeptic-brigade.

Are you going to Englishman's BBQ at the end of July?

• rem
    rem

Little Toe,

>> So you reserve room for such a speculation (good), but you not only rule it out for yourself (fine), but encourage others to drop it(not so good)?

I reserve that the possibility is there, but for people to state matter of factly that it exists is irrational. It's also possible that leprechauns are causing the phenomenon - it doesn't mean that it's likely, rational, or should be believed. When people don't know something, they should leave it at that and not make up non-falsifialbe explanations and then be surprised that their pet beliefs are being challenged.

>> Why should we trust you any more than our own experience?

You DON'T have experience living before the 20th century. All anyone has to do is read history books and other literature from days past to know that life was pretty much a fight for survival for most people - and still is for people who are not fortunate enough to have access to the advances that we Westerners have today. Let's not be silly. :)

rem

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm not being silly. I was refering to the present tense, not the pre-20th century...

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I was refering to the present tense, not the pre-20th century...

LT, present. past. Bitches from the same pup tent, eh? ....er... I mean.... two tits from the same cold witch?.... ... uh... they're just uh... y'know... six of nine, half crazy of another....... oh screw it. Worship satan for all I care!

*returns to invasion planning*

• Agent 1 of 1
    Agent 1 of 1

Wow, littletoe and REM, are we going to have to take this to another thread? LOL Ummm... Thanks everyone for their replies once again.

Roy, those are good questions. I was hoping to hear a few more. Thx.

If you guys want to shed more light on the parapsychology field or other paranormal areas, please feel free too. Maybe somebody could start another thread on that.

• El blanko
    El blanko

Little Toe:

I'm glad you feel the same, as I find the lack of faith here disturbing at times.

I hadn't planned to go to Englishmans, but to be honest, I had no idea about the BBQ

• El blanko
    El blanko
    Trust me, life was not better when people were supposedly in touch with some mystical force.

... and life is better in this century how?

The eco system is breaking up in many places, entire species are being destroyed, man tares at man with a lust for power and wealth .... no progress there then

Technology is the vanguard of the new age and will (is) taking it's toll upon the organic. Fact.

Give me a mystic any day to help fire my imagination to greater possibilities other than the material aspirations of this present world.

(ps. just off to check the authors out you recommended)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit