Any science fiction freaks?

by myauntfanny 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I love Isaac Asimov books (robots 'n' the future - the span of the universe he creates is amazing) and also Frank Herbert (Dune series)

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Wow, all these sf readers making recommendations and no one has named my favorite sf author - Harlan Ellison. I haven't found time to read much sf in years, but he was always one of my favorites. His books tend to float in and out of print, so they can be hard to find, but last I knew, the revised edition of The Essential Ellison was still in print. It had lots of his best stories, and at 1000+ pages, will likely keep you reading for a while!

Here's the amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0962344745/qid=1084799137/sr=8-8/ref=pd_ka_8/103-7775187-5015039?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

• talesin
    talesin

Blondie

Marion Zimmer Bradley RULES!! I have almost 20 of her books. Am collecting them, one by one.

Sunnygal

Same with Gabaldon's series,, Outlander blew me away. I have yet to read book #5.

Asimov of course. I also loved the Bradbury classic, Farenheit 451, a must read for JWs imho. And how about Orwell's 1984? A Clockwork Orange as well, by Anthony Burgess. It was my first sci-fi.

talesin

• blondie
    blondie

Harlan Ellison, I forgot him too and A Boy and His Dog was on Bravo this weekend, Neonmadman.

He can be a little misogynistic but wonderful writer and behind many tv sci-fi endeavors.

Let me recommend Philip Jose Farmer again. He might be out of print but try www.alibris.com or other used book websites.

His Riverworld series is eeriely like a twisted JW story about resurrection to life on another planet.

Blondie

http://www.pjfarmer.com/

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

My favorite is Robert Sawyer. Really loved "The Terminal Experiment" and the Hominids Trilogy.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Timmothy Zahn

His "Star Wars" books are better then the orignal stories. I think Admiral Thrawn is one of my all-time favs.

• Sirius Dogma
    Sirius Dogma

I watched the Disney version of Madeline L'Engle's "A Wrinkle In Time" the other night. It was interesting, except it annoyed me how they kept talking about the tesseract as if it is some magical device when it is only a 4 dimensional box (add one dimension to a cube). Otherwise I thought it was a fun story.

I have read everything by Herbert(sr and jr) in the dune series, everything in the foundations and robot series by Asimov, Everything by Douglas Adams, and am currently digging into the Pratchett library.

I also have read a good deal of Robert Anton Wilson, his books are mucho fun.

I also just read today Bradbury is coming out with a new book, but only have the title - "'Too Soon From the Cave, Too Far From the Stars' "

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Sci fi with a laugh/ great wit/ paradoxes: Douglas Adams: Hitchhiker?s Guide to the Galaxy....

• mustang
    mustang

Of course!!! But lately I have swtiched to Intrigues & Fantasy as well.

I haven't read that much non-fiction i recent years, but I consumed lots of SF druing and immediately after the school years.

AND... I even got a SHEPHERDING CALL for reading "Analog: Science Fiction/Science Fact"!!! Now that's a FACT in the Science of JW Bustology.

Mustang

• Daga
    Daga

John Ringo

S.M.Stirling

George R.R, Martin

David Brin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit