Any science fiction freaks?

by myauntfanny 56 Replies latest jw friends

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Does anyone on here like science fiction? I've read everything by all my favourite writers and am looking for some new ones. Any recommendations?

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

I've been a science fiction fan since I was old enough to read and understand what I read! Can you give me a list of your "faves"? Do you like fantasy, also? Also, did you happen to catch Madeline L'Engle's "A Wrinkle In Time" on TV the other night?

Terri, of the crazy for reading class

• Elmer J. Fudd
    Elmer J. Fudd

Try "The Finished Mystery", it's on sale at Ebay.

Elmer

• Valis
    Valis

Ever read Orson Scot Card's The Tales of Alvin Maker?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Satanus
    Satanus

I used to be. Other than the ones everyone knows,

A Attanasio

Dean Ing

Martin Caidin

Iain Banks

John Brunner

Poul Anderson

AC Clark

William Gibson's first few were good

Gordon Dickson

Greg Bear wrote some powerful ones

Kurt Vonnegut

Larry Niven

Timmothy Zahn

Michael Chrichton

John Wyndham

were quite good.

SS

• blondie
    blondie

Who have you read?

Do you like hard core science or fantasy?

I, Robot is coming out soon as a movie (Asimov)

Orson Scott Card gets another vote from me.

Robert Heinlein

Piers Anthony

Philip Jose Farmer (especially Riverboat series)

HG Wells

Ursula Leguin (Left and of Darkness)

Marion Zimmer Bradley

Greg Bear

Terry Pratchett

Blondie (reading sci fi for over 40 years)

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Elmer, that's not HELPFUL, it was a SERIOUS question Disappointed 3 (you know I'm kidding, right?).

Valis, I haven't read it. I read Enders Game but it was too sad for me. Is The Tales of Alvin Maker just as sad?

Terri, I loved l'Engle when I was a kid, I read and reread them all. My list of faves is pretty long, I'll just give some. Ursula Leguin, William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, Octavia Butler, Joan Slonczewski, Maureen McHugh, Alison Sinclair, Tim Powers, Vonda McIntyre, Marian Zimmer Bradley (Darkover series), Geoff Ryman, Starhawk, Walter Tevis, the Strugatsky brothers, Connie Willis, Kate Wilhelm. (Some of those are more fantasy than science fiction, I can't always get writers into just one category). I loved Heinlein and Asimov and Laumer when I was young, but they all seem a bit dated now. How about your list?

Saint Satan, thanks, I haven't heard of some of them, that's what I'm looking for.

• Valis
    Valis
    Is The Tales of Alvin Maker just as sad?

I didn't think so..

From Publishers Weekly From the award-winning Ender's Game on, each of Card's last three novels has featured a secular saint, less a character than a catalyst to galvanize those around him into reexamining the thorny moral tangles in which they live. This first volume of the Tales of Alvin Maker introduces young Alvin Miller Jr., the seventh son of a seventh son, who lives on the frontier of an alternate early 19th century America, where folk magic such as faith healing and second sight really works. While Alvin embarks on his mythic struggle against the Unmaker of all things, he is watched over by a flesh and blood guardian angel; he is pursued by the rigid, zealous Reverend Thrower; and he is guided by the wandering Taleswapper, William Blake. This beguiling book recalls Robert Penn Warren in its robust but reflective blend of folktale, history, parable and personal testimony, pioneer narrative. The series promises to be (in Warren's phrase) a "story of deep delight."

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Blondie

Do you like hard core science or fantasy?

I'm not sure how to tell the difference, except for the stuff at the extreme ends. I don't like magic kingdom type fantasy.

Edited to add:

Valis, sounds perfect, I'll get it.

• blondie
    blondie

The difference is that hard core is science all the way, no dragons, no magic.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit