UK Daily Mirror Editor Sacked for Printing Faked Iraqi Abuse Photos

by Yizuman 40 Replies latest social current

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Wonderful, so, we have the facts;

• Both US and UK soldiers have been charged with abusing prisoners.

• There are real photos of the American soldiers doing this, waving at the camera sticking their thumbs up.

• To date, there are no equivalent photos of UK troops doing the same, only something even the liberals accept are fakes.

All this shows is that the average US GI is dumb "Hey, Private Wilma, how's about we stack some E-Raquis into a pile and send photos home to ma and pop? Don't forget to smile now."

I knew war was brutalising. I didn't think people were stupid enough to have photos taken of themselves abusing prisoners smiling and giving thumbs-ups.

• donkey
    donkey

Ab,

I totally agree one really has to question the IQ of someone who takes pics of this stuff.

I would be willing to go out on a limb and say ALL countries do this stuff to prisoners...most aren't stupid enough to get caught. The Geneva Convention is noble in principle but that's where it ends. It seems like a fair conclusion that "If they are doing it to our guys we will do it to their guys."

• searcher
    searcher
    They are the enemy. That's not a hard one is it?

Ok so they are the enemy, so when a member of the coalition forces shoots them, and the newspapers print pictures of 'civilians' who have been shot, are they still the enemy or are they innocent civilians who have been mown down by bloodthirsty, out of control soldiers?

BTW, I in no way advocate the mistreatment of prisoners, 'our side' should not do that, even if the 'other side' does, there is no room for anger and hatred in war.

Oh yes, and what would you call a six year old girl in a dress with a hand grenade?

Muslim fanatics DO train youngsters to fight and die, there is ample evidence of this. And not only Muslims, I have personally seen a sniper firing a rifle (toward me) from behind a line of women and children.

• Simon
    Simon
    Ok so they are the enemy, so when a member of the coalition forces shoots them, and the newspapers print pictures of 'civilians' who have been shot, are they still the enemy or are they innocent civilians who have been mown down by bloodthirsty, out of control soldiers?

What you are trying to do is label every dead Iraqi as being "the enemy". I think this is wrong.

If they were armed and fighting then yes, they were the enemy. If they were neither then they cannot be legally killed.

The alternative is that we allow what the Nazi's used to do - rounding up suspected 'enemy' civilians and machine-gunning them.

• berten
    berten

>I knew war was brutalising. I didn't think people were stupid enough to have photos taken of themselves

>abusing prisoners smiling and giving thumbs-ups.

And they still have the nerve to say they were just following orders,just like nazi officers said over fifty years ago:

"We was just following orders judge,don't look at me,it was me superior who made me do it..."

As long as we have such idiots "just following orders" we will have war atrocities...

• Englishman
    Englishman
    totally agree one really has to question the IQ of someone who takes pics of this stuff.

The pics were taken to show them to new Iraqi prisoners as part of the softening up process.

Englishman.

• dubla
    dubla

abaddon-

All this shows is that the average US GI is dumb

that is a gross generalization......how do the actions of a select group of idiots represent "the average u.s. g.i."? its tantamount to me saying: "the nick berg incident shows the average muslim is a violent barbarian". give me a break.

aa

• searcher
    searcher
    What you are trying to do is label every dead Iraqi as being "the enemy". I think this is wrong.

No Simon, that is not what I am trying to do.

What I am trying to point out is that not every person in civilian clothes is a 'civilian'.

War is not a cut and dried, black and white situation. I admit that atrocities happen, they even happen outside war.

Soldiers are people, not robots, most are highly trained and can control themselves, some are not and can (or will) not.

People who have had a bad day at work, had an awful car journey home, cannot switch off their anger and frustration when they walk through the home front door, please try and think how much harder that switching off would be to someone who has been in a position all day where people are trying to kill him/her.

It is mostly a matter of people wanting to believe in the incidents rather than waiting for the whole of the facts.

This is not aimed at any particular person.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy."
    - Henry Kissinger

• Simon
    Simon
    abaddon-
    All this shows is that the average US GI is dumb

that is a gross generalization......how do the actions of a select group of idiots represent "the average u.s. g.i."? its tantamount to me saying: "the nick berg incident shows the average muslim is a violent barbarian". give me a break.

I agree. I don't believe it is a reflection *at all* on the 'average US GI' - a GI did the correct thing and exposed this after all. Besides, there is some indication that they may indeed have been 'following orders' and I think that trail should be followed to find the real guilty people.

Searcher:

What I am trying to point out is that not every person in civilian clothes is a 'civilian'

I agree with this too. When you are fighting an insurrection though they are not going to be running up some uniforms to identify themselves. It's what makes this kind of warfare difficult, dangerous and next to impossible. It means heavy losses or else accusations of attrocities as innocent people are killed. I don't think there is *much* chance of coming out of it ahead to be honest unless you can win the trust and support of the majority of the population. Without this, you are toast.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit