This is horrible....

by desib77 134 Replies latest social current

• talesin
    talesin

Cowboy,

Ditto, hon.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    He truly enjoys sports and attends a game. While at the game an errant ball comes his direction, in the furious grabbing and running to gain possession of the ball by other fans he is trampled to death because he is unable to move as fast as he did in his youth.
    There is probably a whole semester to be taught at Berkley about freak accidents and their relevance to war-time situations vis a vis the middle east. I'd probably fail.

Six

Patio's point was that this man put himself in a dangerous situation, and therefore all the dangers of said situation should be pointed out and factored into his death. Perhaps Analogies 101 may be a better course? If no one can see the pain this may cause those who can not grasp the situation (innocents killed, tortured ALL, Iraq, American) that this is done less than 2 days after death, I give up.

Cassi

edited, cause I can't spell!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Perhaps Analogies 101 may be a better course?

Room 609. We'll get your grades up, don't worry.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    Room 609. We'll get your grades up, don't worry.

I truly think you should drop the zero then perhaps we can talk about getting grades up.

Cassi

• talesin
    talesin

Sounds good to me!

• onintwo
    onintwo

Just wanted to butt in here, after reading four pages. I'm of the opinion that Shaun Hannity is a entertainer type, a showman if you will, that happens to espouse some conservative values. He doesn't necessarily speak for me, or most conservatives. At times he's a bullying jerk, and I can't watch him. Just like O'Reilly. But at times, like anyone, makes a good point or two.

Just wanted to toss in my two cents regarding ol' Shaun.

Onintwo

• nilfun
    nilfun

I hear you, OhioCowboy.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Cassi,

Your comparison of a football game with a chance happening to a war zone with a more-frequent happening of hostage-taking, etc. doesn't seem comparable to me.

I guess it's degree of risk. A friend of mine races motorcycles and tells me you take a chance in a car or plane. But it's the percentages of risk that matters. What is the ratio of motorcycle racers to injuries and the ratio of car or plane travelers to injuries. I would guess that it's much higher for the motorcycle racers.

Likewise, it's logical that the ratio of deaths of hostages, prisoners, or war killings is much higher in a war zone than the ratio of handicapped people injured at a football game in a stampede.

Also, if my friend were to be injured or killed racing motorcycles (a high-risk endeavor, imo), it would be commented on by people, and I believe this is human nature, to the tune of "Why was he doing such a risky thing?" Not that they wouldn't sympathize.

It is not wrong nor offensive, imo, when a person dies in a high-risk activity for that to be published. Granted, being murdered is not comparable with an accident. But the risk is comparable.

The entire blame lies with the Al-Queda members who committed the murder. But had Mr. Berg heeded more safety factors, he wouldn't be dead. It's not a matter of blame, just reasoning. It doesn't mean he deserves blame, the murderers do.

Whether or not Mr. Berg was apprised of the dangers (though how could you think a war zone would be safe?), still the risk was great that something would happen to him. Journalists, contractors, are killed often there.

Pat

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Patio's point was that this man put himself in a dangerous situation, and therefore all the dangers of said situation should be pointed out and factored into his death

"Factored" into his death? How do you propose to do that? So, are you saying that the Islamofascist pigs are reponsible for say, 45% of his death? He himself is responsible for 45%, say the US gov't is responsible for 10%

Make you feel better?

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

I think it's a mistake to call any human sub-human. It's more of a mistake to call a whole group sub-human because some people in that group have done something terrible. When we do this we take away from our own humanity. It's these two mistakes that lead to an ever-escalating cycle of violence. I think that probably every genocide ever committed was committed by people who thought those they were killing were not really human.

I have also noticed that a number of people on different threads say they would like someone to go do the same thing to the group that beheaded Nick Berg. I understand the feeling, but I think it's an impulse we need to resist. Decent people are appalled to see such indecent behaviour. But if we retaliate with indecent behaviour, we become like those we despise, and the problem isn't solved. The obscenity only spreads. And I suspect that decent people who think they would like to see such a retaliation would not really feel better afterwards at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit