This is horrible....

by desib77 134 Replies latest social current

• patio34
    patio34

this from The Washington Post

The persistent violence contrasts sharply with U.S. officials' optimistic calls for private companies to invest in Iraq. Over the past year, the Commerce Department has conducted a three-continent campaign to promote investment and reconstruction opportunities.

It was at one of those conferences that Berg was inspired to go to Baghdad, his family said. He dreamed of building radio towers in Iraq that would beam reports from a free press.

According to his family, Berg met businessmen at the conference who asked him to inspect radio towers damaged in the war. Berg hoped to make a bid for his company, Prometheus Methods Tower Service Inc., to provide parts and repair services.

Berg's mother said she had begged him to change his mind about the trip.

But Berg, whose family described him as a bit of a rebel, decided that the potential business was worth the risk. He took a flight from New York to Amman, Jordan, on March 14 and then traveled on to Iraq. He did not have a security guard, translator or driver lined up, his mother said, and he decided to stay at smaller hotels not frequented by foreigners

Commentary from a non-Iraqi living in Iraq on the conditions there:

"Of course, no one deserves to have their head cut off, nor on camara above all.

But anyone wandering around as described above in Iraq, given the news post Summer 2003 was in horrific danger. I recently had to tell some idealistic kid here, an American engineer, fresh graduate, who wanted to hop a taxi from Amman to Baghdad to look for work that if he did so, he should write a will. Clueless Americans waltzing around like do-gooders in Kansas. Wake up, Dorothy, there are a good (if minority) number of cold people who are far too happy to cap your innocent, "oh I'm an American and we do good" butt."

What did he do wrong?

First, he obviously did not speak the langauge, did not know the region. But the good old US of A was bringing democracy and all that, time to teach the natives. Wonderful idealism. But this is not Kansas, this is a dangerous region, and it is not for amateur hour to wander around a country you don't know, that you have no support in, and that you don't know people in, that you have no connections to keep you safe. Bloody hell, staying in low-end hotels, no connections, no saftey.

I can do this sort of thing, but I know the place, and I also know that you need to get protection. Good Lord, what kind of clueless git does this? And in March?

What is it, does no one in the States have a clue that, hey, guess what, being an American does not get you the love nowadays, and you should, before wandering into a war zone, have some support?

Bloody hell, I just got an offer to go to Baghdad for some consulting with a Fund there, and while for the right money I might do it, I would not take a taxi from Amman, and not have any support.

Emblematic of the utter cluelessness that is American engagement with the Middle East."

I do think the young man met his death in a brave and dignified way. It's very sad. His parents were opposed to the whole war and had filed a lawsuit against the feds, etc. It's all so sad and a waste of life.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    First, he obviously did not speak the langauge, did not know the region. But the good old US of A was bringing democracy and all that, time to teach the natives. Wonderful idealism. But this is not Kansas, this is a dangerous region, and it is not for amateur hour to wander around a country you don't know, that you have no support in, and that you don't know people in, that you have no connections to keep you safe. Bloody hell, staying in low-end hotels, no connections, no saftey.

Everyone assumes things perhaps he thought a low profile would keep him out of the eye of those wishing to do harm. God only knows, why the hell do people rock climb and jump out of airplanes? He was not there to teach he was working.

Six

You are correct it has been scaled back, the content was there, the point that was trying to be made has been in the medias mind, IMO.

Cassi

• wasasister
    wasasister

No matter how hard I try, I cannot possibly imagine how the headline:"Man Beheaded" is in any way sugar-coated! Where do you people live who say the media is ignoring this story while the prison abuse is over-reported?

BOTH atrocities are horrific, BOTH are all over the news - TV, Radio, Internet, Press.

What we need to be asking is not how this furthers one cause or another, but how do we get beyond the point where people are capable of such depraved indifference to human life and human dignity?

I am sickened by those who would use either of these tragedies to promote their ideology.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    No matter how hard I try, I cannot possibly imagine how the headline:"Man Beheaded" is in any way sugar-coated! Where do you people live who say the media is ignoring this story while the prison abuse is over-reported?

Wasa

One, please go back to my first post in this thread, I referred to it with the statement that seems to me is taken out of context. Ask your next store neighbor how this man died and they will say beheading. Americans are a romantic sort and most I have spoken to have made the same assumption I did, a Samauri beheading, quick and painless not the torture which he endured.

Others in this very thread believe it was quick and painless. It was not and it is my belief that the way in which it was reported leads many to this assumption. We have heard about, sodomy, dog leashes and we are quite aware of these details but as I said earlier because many hear the word beheading they think quick, painless death. And in my opinion the way in which it was initially reported by the media is the reason for the misunderstanding.

Cassi

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Others in this very thread believe it was quick and painless.

Not me. The stories I read gave enough detail for me to know that it was not a "samurai" type beheading, but rather a man or men with knives. I suppose I hoped they did their evil as quickly as possible. It is only quick relative to torture, beatings, etc; it is downright slow compared to a bullet to the head.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    and we are quite aware of these details

Actually, no, we're not aware of the details. "Sodomy" and "dog leashes" are far from detail. You'd be hard pressed to report a story of someone being sodomized while being made to wear a dogleash w/o giving the audience the information that a person wearing a dog leash had been sodomized. It would be even more difficult if a cooresponding photo had a man wearing a dog leash.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Patio,

What in the HELL is you point about this man who was murdered?

You are obligated to articulate your opinion since you obviously went OUT of your way to do some "profile" about him, why he was there, and WHY he allegedly defied the recommendations of his parents and others.

WHAT is your point?

• patio34
    patio34

Blacksheep,

Are you incapable of normal discussion? I think you win the award for the most volatile, emotional poster on the board.

I posted that to fill out the picture and offer more information about the victim. I had no point. It seemed to me that people would want as much information as is available.

I guess you're pretty much offended by pretty much anything that you disagree with. It must be hard for you.

Pat

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Oh, and just thought, patio,maybe you can do a similar profile on all the abused panty boys at Abu. Maybe it would explain how they were misunderstood, how they murdered American citizens becaue they were desperate...just a great synopisis of how they couldn't possibly have deserved any humiliating behavior at the hands of the evil Americans...

Love to hear a full report on every one of these guys particular situations, since you seem to be so interested in profiling victims...

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Oh, so sorry Patio that you think I'm so contentious. Could it be that I simply challenge your obvious biased posts?

What's with this highlighting and underlining here: so that we can obviously get the REAL picture of Nick Berg?

But Berg, whose family described him as a bit of a rebel, decided that the potential business was worth the risk. He took a flight from New York to Amman, Jordan, on March 14 and then traveled on to Iraq. He did not have a security guard, translator or driver lined up, his mother said, and he decided to stay at smaller hotels not frequented by foreigners

And, kindly explain why you chose to HIGHLIGHT that he didn't speak the language? What is YOUR POINT?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit