JW Mental Health

by Evesapple 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

I found these two references very interesting.....I reflected on the mentality of the Witnesses in my old congregations in Janesville, Wisconsin....I realised they weren't a 'happy' people because they had the "truth", they were in truth happy because of being all medicated (prozac). http://www.rickross.com/reference/jw/jw73.html http://www.rickross.com/reference/jw/jw72.html

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i'm on prozac now. it definitely does not make you happy. maybe if you take it and dont need it. i dunno.

its a tool to help me get back to better mental health. and its one i am glad is available.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Interesting reports.

Candid--it's OK if you need to be on some medication to get you through a rough time, but please get some psycolgical help too. The stats are in that this is what will help you in the long run.

The best to you,

cybs

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Recipe for improved mental health for people of all ages - R U N from the org as they are one sick society.

Yesterday this quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson jumped off a magazine page (not WA or AW!) at me:

BE NOT THE SLAVE OF YOUR OWN PAST ~ PLUNGE INTO THE SUBLIME SEAS, DIVE DEEP, AND SWIM FAR, SO YOU SHALL COME BACK WITH SELF-RESPECT, WITH NEW POWER, WITH AN ADVANCED EXPERIENCE, THAT SHALL EXPLAIN AND OVERLOOK THE OLD.

BE WELL ALL

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

4Jwy,

Thanks so much for posting that quote! It was the right words at the right time for me.

Cic

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

Ralph Waldo Emerson - great quote!

Also, I don't mean to offend anyone on prozac, I too am on an anti-depressant, however, it just seems that according to the article the type of people that seem to gravitate towards the organization are people that need basically a support group of some sort. I swear to you, everyone in our kingdom hall was on something, I never met another organization in my life that had so many people on some sort of anti-depressant/anxiety whatever drug. I don't think it was coincidental. The people I group up with in the org were a mess......I think it served as a great support group, something to belong to for many people.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

cybah-sistah thanks :) i am currently getting abuse recovery counseling and go to a psychiatrist once a month. i am definitely not trying to get well on my own anymore!

• 4JWY
    4JWY

I also found interesting the book by exJW, Jerry Bergman - "Jehovah's Witnesses and the Problem of Mental Illness". It helped to verify to me, that my family was not the only one driven crazy - and that there are mental struggles on a massive scale throughout the org. We were invited to go to another KH where "everyone is on meds, even the elders, so they understand". Another congregation was referred to as one that people go to to "heal". ??

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

For about the 100th time, Bergman is not very credible. His degree has nothing to do with psychology or psychiatry and he's been thrown out of the expert witness business.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Pork Chop:

I know what you think about Bergman - but I believe people are capable of doing research and deciding for themselves whether the info he discusses is relative to their situation in life or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit