JUSTICE #14 - Caring for the Needy - Not!

by Amazing 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

CARING FOR THE NEEDY – NOT!

When I first became a JW in the late 1960s and all the years thereafter, the Watch Tower Society would frequently boast about the loving care and concern that JWs show among themselves, providing for the needy during disasters, even helping the ‘world.’ The Society would publish in the magazines, or comments at Conventions about how the world observed our efficiency and overwhelming spirit of giving.

What about the rest of the year? As JWs we were taught that the world gives only once a year at Christmas, but JWs give all year ‘round. Yet, aside from these unique disaster situations, the WTS has no year ‘round program to help people. But, some JWs with good hearts do, and some do a lot to help the needy, but ... they have to do it in spite of the organization, not because of it.

Brother C was one of those kind, compassionate, and caring persons. He studied with me after the Pioneer Brother who started studying with me moved away. Brother C always impressed upon me the importance of helping others. I already had this in my Catholic training, but his emphasis as a JW made me feel that this was truly a good organization.

One day I saw Brother C crying/ He was standing outside the Kingdom Hall in the back and appeared very low. He is a big man, not prone to tears, kind of like Arnold Swartzneggar. I went up to him and asked him what the problem was. He could hardly talk. I feared that maybe something terrible had happened. He then began to explain that the Elders were talking about disfellowshipping him, and he could not understand it at all.

Here is what happened. Every couple of months or so, Brother C would go around the congregation and collect clothing, non-perishable food, shoes, household supplies, and many things useful to people, and take these to Mexico to distribute to needy JWs and others in the area who needed help. Brother C did this at his own expense and time.

He was part of a large family and many of them would help too, and at times this resulted in creating a small caravan to get the supplies delivered in a shorter time frame. JWs in our area were good about supporting Brother C’s efforts, and there was never a shortage of things to send along. Brother C is among the JWs I truly miss. He is fun, generous, and truly of Christian spirit.

The Eyes of JW Justice begin to notice his activity: Gulp! Why? It seems that Brother C’s program was growing into a sizable operation. And, my recollection is that this was bringing excellent benefit to the people receiving help. Not only were their immediate needs being met with some regularity, but several who received help were also able to repair and sell some of the surplus to others in their country and make a little extra money.

What was so bad about that? Nothing was wrong. But, I understand that there was a little problem that emerged when crossing the border. When large amounts of materials are transported into another country, import duties, fees, licenses, etc. can be common. Sometimes the country of origin will impose export fees as well. [This was prior to the NAFTA free trade agreement in case you were wondering.]

I am not sure of the exact nature of the fees Brother C faced, but what he did was found a back route to avoid the fees associated with his transport. This went on for a while, and I believe that one of the other strategies employed at times was to have the caravan stop on the US side and then carry smaller amounts across.

The JC called Brother C in on the carpet to inquire about this evasion of Mexican import and/or US export rules. [I never really fully understood the rules involved or how this became noticed by the JC.] Brother C felt that his conscience allowed for bypassing the rules because this was a charitable work intended for the needy. He gained nothing personally from it, and felt that fees should not be paid. The JC felt that Caesar’s laws must always be obeyed in these cases, and that this could bring reproach upon Jehovah’s Organization.

The JC also alleged that this activity is not an ‘approved’ arrangement by the organization or part of any of its ‘official’ programs, and as such, he should not be taking needed time away from other activities, such as meeting attendance and Field Service. Brother C was not highly active in hours in service, and often took time on weekends for other activities in addition to making these charity trips. So, the Elders felt that he should be doing more in this regard and not out trying to smuggle goods into Mexico.

Brother C countered that the WTS at times smuggles literature into countries that do not permit such, and that even with Mexico some WTS materials are not permitted and have to be taken in discreetly. The JC argued that this was more important because it was a spiritual provision associated with the interests of Jehovah’s Organization, and thus at times the Society had to use such “strategy” to get around Caesar to get this time-sensitive “spiritual food” to the people.

Brother C countered again that material food, clothing, non-prescription medicine, supplies, etc. were very important as well, and that he was not hurting Caesar, he just could not afford the fees and felt that the rules could be bent to provide such basic and vital help. He said that his personal conscience made him feel that Caesar had no business taxing or charging fees on charitable materials.

What brought brother C to tears? It was after one of these JC sessions, when I saw Brother C standing out in the back. He said that he just couldn’t understand how the Elders could be so blind to the needs of people, and so overly concerned with technicalities. He explained the situation, and then went as far as warning me he might get DF’d!

The JC said NO! Brother C was ordered to either pay the fees, get whatever licenses, etc. that both governments might require, or cease his program of help to the needy. Failure to comply would result in him being DF’d. I do not know for sure how Brother C responded, but he did not get DF’d. I know he continued the caravan program for a while. And, I do recall him mumbling something to me about not complying with the Elders wishes. I could have misunderstood my good friend on this, so I decided not to pursue the issue out of deference to his good works.

I can somewhat understand the Elders encouraging a brother to comply with Caesar’s laws. I am quite sure that Brother C could have gotten many JWs to help out with cost of travel and any governmental fees to support his efforts. At the same time, I could also understand why he wanted to keep this a low profile operation with as little cost as possible to all, so that the needed help could be given at maximum benefit with little imposition to anyone.

What I cannot understand is how the Elders could so easily justify the Society bending rules to smuggle literature and other forbidden supplies, or how the Elders can fail to report sex offenders as required by many state laws, but then take such a strong righteous stand when it came to a brother providing help to the needy.

Why not just leave Brother C alone and any like him. Rather, just offer help to pay for travel and whatever government fees are needed. If the government catches them, they can deal with it then. But why add this burden on them? Why threaten to shame them and DF them and shun them simply because they are doing something not technically correct from one standpoint, but so overwhelmingly good from another perspective, a good that brings some hope and help to very needy people. - Amazing

• esther
    esther

Amazing you said

What I cannot understand is how the Elders could so easily justify the Society bending rules to smuggle literature and other forbidden supplies, or how the Elders can fail to report sex offenders as required by many state laws, but then take such a strong righteous stand when it came to a brother providing help to the needy

IMO, the reason for this stand is that brother C's actions did not (a) Get good press for the WTBTS, (b) Sell literature, so that the WTBTS did not have financial gains and (c) Did not follow the guidelines of seeking first the laws of the society. That is, he failed to go out in FS for the required hours, and he missed meetings. Remember that these guidelines are what the society uses as a measure of spirituality

Thank you for your posts

esther

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Esther: I agree with your points 100%. I find it interesting to look back and remember when I thought that the Society was the place that extoled virtue, such as helping the needy, then came to realize that they are just the opposite ... and in a strange way, they have become like the image and labels they like to paste on the reputation of average Christains, i.e. in condemning everyone else, the WTS was realy describing itself. - Amazing

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Bringing this back to the top. My biggest pet peeve with the BORG (other than doctrinal issues) is their claim to be a charitable organization, but having no charities. No hospitals, no soup kitchens, no food pantries, NOTHING. I see them saying, "Good luck, stay warm and well fed" but doing nothing to see to the needs of the poor. "In this is true worship, the care of widows and orphans" not just of JW Widows and Orphans, but WIDOWS and ORPHANS.

No profit in giving money away.

Yeru

YERUSALYIM
    God is truth, and light his shadow.

Plato

• humble
    humble

Amazing:

I think this is a clear case of how elders misinterpret how the WTBTS helps others. Or maybe they are just not fully aware of how brothers are helped around the globe. When I was in Nicaragua, we had 3 donation boxes in the Kingdom Hall. One for local congregation, one for the WorldWide Work and one for the local brothers/sisters that were in need. Some of the sisters were very poor and the congregation would purchase food for their families and pay their bills.

I also have a friend that is serving as a missionary in South America and he said that all the Kingdom Hall constructions are paid for (not loans) from Brooklyn. This is because the country is needy and the friends cannot afford it. So many are helped through the contributions given in the States or other countries that have good economies.

Regarding the brother that went through the JC. By reading the facts that you state, I think the elders made a mistake if that was all to it. In the congregation I attend, we always send clothes to Mexico. We also have many that are illegal aliens and although they are not able to serve in the congregation as MS or elders, they are baptized brothers and sisters. Everytime that they go to Mexico to see a sick relative they must sneak into the US again. We don't form JC on them. I think elders should show empathy for their brothers. Unfortunately some don't and see things only from their own perspective.

Technically the brother was doing something illegal, but they should have understand his motives and the good he was doing to those poor friends in Mexico. Although, we do not know how the brother reacted to the counsel or the questions, if he reacted in a defiant (spell?) way or a humble one. Either way, the elders should of had more consideration.

This in no way shows that the matter would of been handled the same way in other congregations.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

OK HUMBLE,

So why is the Society only helping other JW's, I don't remember reading in the scriptures that we are only to assist those of our own denomination. Why no soup kitchens are food pantries or shelters or corporate donations to those doing so?

YERUSALYIM

Plato

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    I think elders should show empathy for their brothers. Unfortunately some don't and see things only from their own perspective.

Unfortunately, this is the exception not the rule in most congregations today.

Slipnslidemaster: "While we are postponing, life speeds by."
    - Seneca

• ITguy
    ITguy

They don't only help the fellow JW's. But those ones do get first priority. "...especially those related to you in the truth" but once the friends are cared for, the things left go to the community or neighbors. JW's have fixed houses for many non-JW's in disaster areas, and I just recently read an experience of I think it was during the recovery from the Kobe earthquake there were medicine, food and supplies left over after caring for the friends and the Elders brought the stuff to the local Hospital, where a Doctor there was extremely grateful and patients there were able to have some fresh food as they had been running very short.

The reason the Witnesses can't help everyone in a disaster area is that there just much fewer Witnesses than there are other people in the area. They're not big enough to make that type of impact, so they assist their brothers first, and then use the remaining materials to help others. It isn't like some charities, whose materials sit in a warehouse for months rotting because they can't decide who to get it to.

I think the Elders mentioned by Amazing made a mistake. It happens. Quite a lot, as the friends are imperfect.

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

ITguy--
    You read it in the latest Awake 22,2001. It was about Kobe, Japan. And lets not overdo the charitable love. It was ONE van, and it doesn't mention anything about repeat visits to the hospital.
    The title of the little highlight is "To the Rescue in Kobe!". Yeah, they rescued theirs first and gave the dogs the little crumbs that fell off the table.

This article makes me sick. It first promotes or should I say, gives advertising space to the UN for recruiting volunteers. And in the next few articles it gives examples of JW's who give for a hidden agenda -- to recruit people to the "organization". For example, in the same article it talks about the brothers in Kabezi. They built a kingdom hall. The "local administrator made an unusual request. He asked if the Witnesses could fix the road passing BY the proposed construction site." Well ofcourse they "happily" agreed to repair the damaged roadway. Well, it's not unusal that they would need to fix a road that takes them to the Kingdom Hall. They have to make sure that it is not going to cause a hinderance in travel to the KH. So is this REALLY charitable work? Or was it necessary work to make sure the KH was more accessible?

Hidden Agenda...Hidden Agenda.

Ofcmad

"Noah was a drunk and look what he accomplished." The Metatron/Dogma
  • Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

ITGUY,
    Besides what the COP just said, I'm not talking about just in disaster situations. What of the millions starving in the US and abroad? Where are the soup kitchens in NYC? Where are the food pantries open to all comers in the inner cities, or even the rural areas? Where are the shelters so the homeless have a safe place to sleep at night? THIS is the kind of Charity that is all too glaringly missing in DUBland.

YERUSALYIM

Plato

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit