Food Drives, did you donate when you were a JW?

by codeblue 13 Replies latest jw friends

• codeblue
    codeblue

Today our postal carriers are having a food drive.

I was showing my hubby the things I rounded up and asked about giving something else...he said...NO...I said: "well, why shouldn't we, we have plenty"..He then said "sure".

We then had a discussion about if JW's ever give on such occasions for food drives. I for one, did not, and I am ashamed to say that too.

So, did you give to food drives when you were a JW?

Codeblue

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

WEB RESULTS ZERO! We didn't find any Web pages containing "Jehovah's Witnesses charities. Results for charities : Catholic 495,000 vs. Watchtower big fat zero "0" Jesus said; "by their fruits you will know them" [Matthew 7: 15] James said;" to look after widows and orphans in their tribulation,for this is what God accepts." [ James 1:27]

danny10.jpg (37877 bytes)
    Click above to enlarge

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

A few times, because my heart told me too, but then I would always strangely question myself...We were always given the illustration of feeding someone. "If you give them a fish they will have food for a day, but if you teach them to fish they will have food for a lifetime". So, the thought was you had to teach people to benefit themselves (by teaching them the bible and WT publications) and not by giving them food. The term "rice Christians" was used a lot too referring to people who took advantage of church donations and food programs, as if that was a bad thing. I now know that was part of the WT BS feeding program. I am determined to follow my heart from now on...

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

This is one of the things I harped at my wife about constantly when she became involved with her congregation after our marriage. I pointed to the enourmous food pantry at my church, and our participation in the ministerial alliance in town that gave food and funds to the poor...and kept asking her to show me what the local congregation or the Society was doing with it's money.

• blondie
    blondie

We always donated food and helped out neighbors. We have food drives at work. I just never advertised or tried recruiting people at the KH.

Blondie

• copsec
    copsec

No, I did not as I was trying to "keep myself apart from the world." Ugh< it sickens me now to think I ever believed such tripe. I give all the time now. My hubby thinks I give to much but heck if I have it, I may as well share it, right?!

• talesin
    talesin

I left so long ago at such young age, we didn't have food banks here back in the 70s. My parents (practicing JWs) regularly give to the local food bank now, and also donate clothing/household items to a local shelter when they do spring cleaning, etc. They also donate to the Lung Association every year. Not all JWs are cheap conscienceless bastards. Some of the R&F are actually caring people.

BUT, I remember well when my aunt's house burned to the ground while she was at a meeting (with her husband and five kids). They lost everything but the clothes on their backs, literally! They were very poor and had no insurance.

The congo did nothing for them. They had to go to the Salvation Army, who sold them some furniture and clothes very cheap, and my parents helped them with what they could. But not one shred of help from any of the loving 'brothers and sisters'. Yeah, and they are all still pioneers, Bethelites, MS, etc. Talk about denial.

talesin

• Mulan
    Mulan

We have always done the postal food drive, and usually when the schools were doing it too. I never had a problem with helping the needy.

• Special K
    Special K

When I was a J.W. I was taught not to donate to anything..except the J.W.'s contribution box. When anyone came to my mom and dad;s house I don't remember them ever giving anything. They may have cooked goods for the fire department though.. bake sale items.

Since I left the J.W.'s I donate to pretty much every good cause that comes my way.

My 3 kids have just finished another "Baby Food Bank Drive" on behalf of their 4-H club. It is the second they have spear headed. They came up with the idea last year with some guidance from mom.

The food bank is very appreciative when my boys come with all the boxes of baby food items. They get donations of food, but not usually baby food items.. and babies get hungry too.

sincerely

Special K

• talesin
    talesin

Special K

What a fabulous idea, it's so true about the baby food. And also, the food banks get so low when it's not Christmas. This time of year, they can really use some help. Good on your kids and the 4H!

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit