Remember the 1961 green Bible?

by outbutnotdown 34 Replies latest jw friends

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

I know there are numerous examples of crazy, whacked out stuff that the WTBTS taught that most of here now realize were just that...... crazy and whacked......... but do you know how insane some of the stuff in that original 1961 Bible was?

• dh
    dh

was that the one with the dinosaur? i remember the time my brother burned one on a bonfire when we were kids.

• exjdub
    exjdub

ahh, the dinosaur dh. We used to draw skateboards underneath the dinosaur so it looked like he was skating.

Outbutnotdown: Just the fact the NWT was green was crazy enough. Could they have made us stand out any more? Trying to place a green bible back then was impossible.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

But do you remember how it smelt? I still remember when it was released - the smell of the pages was somethin' else!

The quality of translation was somethin' else too!

Ozzie

• blondie
    blondie

Does anyone know why they used green cover material? Did they buy it up on a "yard" sale. I visited some assembly halls that had frightful carpeting because some brother gotta a deal.

I was so grateful when the Bibles were finally printed in black in 1981 (?) ending 20 years of being the people with the green Bible. Hard to go undercover with a green Bible. I used the American Standard Version during those years and kept the green one for the meetings.

Blondie

• exjdub
    exjdub
    Does anyone know why they used green cover material? Did they buy it up on a "yard" sale.

LMAO Blondie...You are not implying that the WTBS is cheap are you??????

• blondie
    blondie

Not implying.

THE WTS IS CHEAP!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The budgerigars, eh??? Cheap, cheap.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Everybody remembers the smell of WT$ literature.The only thing to recommend the doctored up Greene was that it was easier for some folks to read than the shiny papered NWT that came out in the 1980's.The newer black edition was phototypesetted. The green was easier to read for some folks(my dad) with vision impairment.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I remember that in the appendix it had the time period for the book of Genesis as 46,000 BCE to 1,600 BCE (or something close to that.)

I argued with an elder that after the Creation book came out and was vague about the length of creative days that the WTS had dropped the 7000 year notion. As further proof I asked him to check the Black and Green NWTs and compare what each stated about the time period covered in Genesis. (In actuality, I don't think the WTS writers, or at least some, haven't really given up on the 7,000 year length.)

For most meetings you needed at least a green Bible and a pink song book. (Even the song book was green up until about 1966)

3rd

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit