Great News, Employment Up

by Yerusalyim 42 Replies latest social current

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks for the well-wishing, Yeru.

Pork Chop and Yeru, here's why I won't watch Fox News (in part):

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Esteemed journalist lectures on ethics

L.A. Times Editor John Carroll spoke about journalism ethics and pseudo-journalism at the Gerlinger Lounge on Thursday.
    Tim Kupsick Photographer

Los Angeles Times Editor John S. Carroll delivers the annual Ruhl Lecture as part of 'Ethics Week' on Thursday

By Ayisha Yahya
    News Editor

May 07, 2004

The media industry has been infested by the rise of pseudo-journalists who go against journalism's long tradition to serve the public with accurate information, Los Angeles Times Editor John S. Carroll told a packed room in the Gerlinger Lounge on Thursday.

Carroll delivered the annual Ruhl Lecture, titled "The Wolf in Reporter's Clothing: The Rise of Pseudo-Journalism in America." The lecture was sponsored by the School of Journalism and Communication.

"All over the country there are offices that look like newsrooms and there are people in those offices that look for all the world just like journalists, but they are not practicing journalism," he said. "They regard the audience with a cold cynicism. They are practicing something I call a pseudo-journalism, and they view their audience as something to be manipulated."

In a scathing critique of Fox News and some talk show hosts, such as Bill O'Reilly, Carroll said they were a "different breed of journalists" who misled their audience while claiming to inform them. He said they did not fit into the long legacy of journalists who got their facts right and respected and cared for their audiences.

Carroll cited a study released last year that showed Americans had three main
    misconceptions about Iraq: That weapons of mass destruction had been found, a connection between al-Qaeda and Iraq had been demonstrated and that the world approved of U.S intervention in Iraq. He said 80 percent of people who primarily got their news from Fox believed at least one of the misconceptions. He said the figure was more than 57 percentage points higher than people who get their news from public news broadcasting.

"How in the world could Fox have left its listeners so deeply in the dark?" Carroll asked.

He added that a difference exists between journalism and propaganda.

As he addressed some of the hard hits journalism has taken in the field of ethics, Carroll noted that anyone could be a journalist because, unlike other fields, journalism had no qualification tests, boards to censure misconduct or a universally accepted set of standards.

However, Carroll said a great depth of feeling remains on the importance of ethics that is centered around newspapers' sense of responsibilities to their readers.

"I've learned that these ethics are deeply believed in even though in some places they are not even written down," he said. When ethical guidelines are ignored, their proponents respond with 'tribal ferocity,'" he added.

"If you stray badly from these rules, you will pay dearly," he said.

He said while much media has ended up "in the gutter," the L.A. Times has a different philosophy and was dedicated to taking the "high road."

"I do think that a lot of newspaper people have made a lot of strategic mistakes," he said. "They cut back space on things people really need to know."

Carroll, whose career as a journalist spans 40 years, joined the L.A. Times in 2000, according to the paper's Web site. Under his leadership, the paper earned five Pulitzer Prizes this year.

Tim Gleason, dean of the SOJC, said Carroll is a "journalist's journalist."

"As an editor he cares deeply about the integrity of the profession and he believes that news, real news is the heart and soul of the business of journalism," Gleason said as he introduced Carroll.

University graduate student Mose Mosely had similar sentiments. He said he admired Carroll not only for his vast experience around the country, but also for his consistent commitment to his ideals.

"The depth of his integrity is very impressive," Mosely said.

Bobbie Willis, a staff writer for the Eugene Weekly, said she felt Carroll brought up some relevant issues in today's media environment.

"It really made me take a look at my career as a journalist," she said.

Willis said she understood Carroll's concerns about the state of journalism nationally, but added that many of the journalists she has encountered were very committed to accurate and ethical reporting.

Carroll had a few words of advise for student journalists; he told them to pick their boss carefully.

"Don't be lured by the money or the big name of the employer," he said, adding that journalists should not allow their integrity to be compromised by unscrupulous employers.

"Don't be a piano player in a whorehouse," he said.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    PBS is a font of leftist garbage.

OK, you can say that if I can say that Fox News is a font of fascist right-wing garbage. Fair enough?

Thanks for sharing that article Patio, I'm thinking about subscribing to the L.A. Times online.

• patio34
    patio34

Dan,

It's free--you don't need to subscribe. Isn't the net grand?

Pat

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Yeru,

They want the $20.00 an hour lead man salary...but have the skills of a laborer.

Where I live, $20/hour is enough to get you a two-bedroom apartment in a not too violent neighborhood, and a crappy third-hand car.

gently feral

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

LA Times! You stay close to home don't you. It's worse than the New York Times, notoriously left wing and completely blind to it.

Esteemed by whom?

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Of course the LA Times is going to knock anything remotely right of center. There's already been so much published about the Left-Wing bias of the media--so the ultra liberal press has to fight back against the claims.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Even some of the LA Times own reporters were aghast at the blatant bias when Arnold was running for Governor.

The reason they really hate Fox is because it's kicking their rear ends in the ratings wars.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

*sigh*

God help me if I ever become a ranting ranting ranting ranting conservative.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Today's Wall Street Journal speaks to the lament that critics of Bush are trying to defend: Sure jobs are coming back, just not good ones:

"If they follow their usual pattern, pessimists and partisans will now drop teh "jobless recovery" line in favor of the "hamburger flipper" assertion. That is, they'll claim these new service jobs aren't nearly as good as the old jobs in manufacturing that have gone to Mexico or China. Ergo, teh middle-class is "vanishing."

"Sorry, that's also phony spin. Economist David Malpass Stearns calculates that average hourly earnings in manufacturing in April were $15.24, or $16.08 with overtime...the better-paying categories--in finance, information, professional services, education and health care--have produced most the new service jobs (574,000) in the past six months."

That's very good news. Doom and Gloom predictions that we're actually becoming a 3rd world nation because all that's being added is minimum wage paying jobs is partisan nonsense.

• Richie
    Richie

This is for you Patio:

Have "The New York Times" and "The L.A. Times" declared war on the Bush administration?

As we told you a month ago, some press people are using the terrible Abu Ghraib prison scandal as a political hammer. Some people don't see that as a bad thing, but I do.

I think the story should be reported accurately and aggressively, but not used by the media to advance an agenda. Some facts -- "The New York Times" has put the prisoner story on its front page for 28 straight days. A total of 50 front page articles. That's almost unprecedented in journalism. Only Watergate rivals that kind of exposition.

"The Los Angeles Times" put Abu Ghraib on its front page 26 out of the past 28 days, running 42 front page stories on it. The question -- does this story rate that kind of coverage? You can decide.

But "Talking Points" believes "The New York Times" in particular has declared war on the Bush administration in its hard news pages.

Another example -- yesterday's lead story on the TV networks was the Justice Department saying seven suspected al Qaeda members were being sought here in the USA. "The New York Times" played that story this morning on page 16, essentially burying it.

The editors of "The Times" apparently think the Bush administration is trying to deflect attention from Iraq by scaring people over terrorists. Of course, that could be possible, but surely the mention of seven specific terror suspects rates the same kind of coverage as the 50th story about Abu Ghraib.

So "Talking Points" has come to the conclusion that both "The New York Times" and "The L.A. Times" have decided the Bush administration must be removed and will use all means possible to make that happen.

"The L.A. Times" recently appointed far left bomb thrower Michael Kinsley as its editorial page director. What does that tell you?

So why is this important? Many of you don't read those newspapers. Once again, the pages of both papers are syndicated. That means hundreds of local newspapers all over the country carry their articles. And the network newscasts often follow their lead. Thus the tone those papers set is widely distributed and can quickly influence public opinion.

(transcript from "Talking Points")

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit