Great News, Employment Up

by Yerusalyim 42 Replies latest social current

• patio34
    patio34

I don't know that much about it . . . yet. But have seen around that it's lower-paying wage jobs that are being added in the service industry.

Apparently, the USA has lost much of its manufacturing industry; thus, we could be becoming a nation of janitors and managers. I watched a PBS special (NOW) last night and Bill Moyer, etc., was making that point. That eventually the USA could become more like a third-world country in that we'll have the very rich and the very poor and not as much middle class. The reason seemed to be that the USA isn't manufacturing much anymore and those jobs which used to support a family are gone. Now people are working more in the service industry.

Pat

• patio34
    patio34

Actually, where I live and work (for the government), 600 jobs are being cut from a force of 5000. And they've been cutting back for several years. But California is in its own bad economic situation and it doesn't seem to have much to do with the national picture.

Pat

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Patio, Sorry for the job cuts, are you affected? actually there were 21,000 manufacturing jobs added to the economy in April. These aren't all minimum wage jobs...they've been across the spectrum...and pay well enough that more americans own their own home than ever before...that's a good thing. Ya know what confuses me though? People whine about no jobs on one hand, but shout about how much we need to let the Mexicans in to work the laborer jobs at construction sites, etc...these aren't cheap paying jobs...these guys are making bank...I seem em spending it...and sending it back to Mexico (which is why Vicente Fox won't try to stop illegal immigration...it helps his economy. It's not that there weren't jobs...there weren't jobs that people wanted to do...apparently americans need to start out making middle class incomes straight away, instead of building. People want the lifestyle their parents had after 30 years of working...saving, etc...NOW...they don't want to work and save. They want the $20.00 an hour lead man salary...but have the skills of a laborer. Still, there are more people in the job market than ever before in history...though as the baby boomers retire the numbers will start to go down...employment grew in the US by almost a million jobs since January...and another million are expected to be added...and Arnold seems to be getting the support he needs from the California legislature that he needs to fix the economy out there...see, that changing governors thing worked for ya'll.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Patio, Sorry for the job cuts, are you affected? actually there were 21,000 manufacturing jobs added to the economy in April. These aren't all minimum wage jobs...they've been across the spectrum...and pay well enough that more americans own their own home than ever before...that's a good thing. Ya know what confuses me though? People whine about no jobs on one hand, but shout about how much we need to let the Mexicans in to work the laborer jobs at construction sites, etc...these aren't cheap paying jobs...these guys are making bank...I seem em spending it...and sending it back to Mexico (which is why Vicente Fox won't try to stop illegal immigration...it helps his economy. It's not that there weren't jobs...there weren't jobs that people wanted to do...apparently americans need to start out making middle class incomes straight away, instead of building. People want the lifestyle their parents had after 30 years of working...saving, etc...NOW...they don't want to work and save. They want the $20.00 an hour lead man salary...but have the skills of a laborer. Still, there are more people in the job market than ever before in history...though as the baby boomers retire the numbers will start to go down...employment grew in the US by almost a million jobs since January...and another million are expected to be added...and Arnold seems to be getting the support he needs from the California legislature that he needs to fix the economy out there...see, that changing governors thing worked for ya'll.

• talesin
    talesin

It's the same in Canada, Patio.

Many of the 'new' jobs are also part time, or in call centres (low wage). Also, outsourcing causes distortion. Here's a real example:

In 1994, the telephone company (where I worked) had about 4,000 employees. Due to the LD competition (so they said), they had to laid off 1,500 technical workers, leaving their numbers at 2,500. Now, those 1,500 jobs that were lost were recreated by outsourcing to service companies to whom the telephone company gave service contracts.

So technically, the jobs are still here. What's the catch? Well, as telephone company employees, the techies made about $42,000 per year. The same workers, now working for the outsourced contractors, are now pulling in about $28-30,000 per year. Yeah, the jobs are still there, but the workers are making not quite 2/3 the paycheck! Ergo, the phone company pulls in more profits, and the workers lose, big-time. Oh and by the way, I worked in the Finance and Regulatory Departments, they are pulling in many millions in profits and the government owes them more millions in 'deferred taxes'.

Edited to add: By the way, they just went on strike (again) 2 weeks ago because of this very reason.

It's can be discouraging to think things are getting better, only to realize that the numbers are mostly 'smoke & mirrors'. Also, elsewhere makes a good point about wage freezes vs. inflation. The workers are losing in that scenario as well.

It ticks me off that the workers are, as usual, getting royally screwed!

Sorry, Yeru, didn't mean to get so off-topic, I just get ticked about the money situation for the poor and the BS handed to us about jobs by OUR government.

I agree that the economic downturn is not Bush's fault, things go in cycles, and your point is well-taken.

tal

• donkey
    donkey

Adding new jobs is always good for the incumbent and bad for the challenger...funny how warped it can be huh?

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

PBS Bill Moyer oh my. I do feel sorry for you.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Yeru, no, fortunately the position I have isn't being eliminated. It's kind of rough, though, for the ones' whose positions are being cut. It leads to "bumping rights," which means you have the right to fill any other positions you've filled in the past, and can bump the incumbent out.

Sorry Pork Chop PBS doesn't measure up to your standards of information. What would those be? I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh or Fox News if that's what you mean. What do you have against PBS?

Thanks, Talesin, for that info. It's rough when that sort of sleight-of-hand happens.

Pat

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

PBS is a font of leftist garbage. Even so, I do listen to it. Guess I'm broader minded than you. I prefer to listen to every thing and not be content with the things that align with my personal views. A little Fox would do you good, Rush would probably give you a coronary.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    Sorry Pork Chop PBS doesn't measure up to your standards of information. What would those be? I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh or Fox News if that's what you mean. What do you have against PBS?

PBS isn't as left as NPR, but it's close...give Fox News a try. Glad you're not lossing your position...being out of work sucks even when the economy is booming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit