Why is it even ex JW's run scared when they hear the word apostate?

by happehanna 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• happehanna
    happehanna

I just told them where I work as a volunteer, that I am going to a workshop for those that have left a cult tomorrow. They were all fascinated and wanted to know which cult I had belonged to. I said JW's and this one guy said I he used to be one of them. He is quite a quiet man and said it was the first time he had told anyone that he had been one. He didn't agree it was a cult and was shocked and dismayed that I said I was an apostate. He just said it was hypocritical religion but that they has most of the bible right in his opinion.

But he looked really disturbed that I had been one and that I called it a cult? I am wondering why I said something, it was really odd. He told me not to believe stuff on apostate websites etc. etc. but he left over 7 years ago, it still has a hold on him.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

They're not really XJW's. They have left the Watchtower, but the WT hasn't really left them. That's why they run scared of the word "Apostate" and anything that contradicts the WT.

• Justin
    Justin

"Cult" means different things to different people. While I personally think of JWs as a cult, I never refer to them as such publicly. I think "sect" would be a better description. It was Jonestown that gave "cult" a new meaning. Attention became focused on groups which physically isolate their people and use extreme methods of control.

There are those who leave the WT but continue to believe as JWs do. I think they are in more danger of returning to the WT someday, but that's their decision. Naturally, they find "apostates" a threat. (And remember, the "apostate" label is one that has been given us by the org, not one that we chose ourselves. It's not our name for ourselves.) Similarly, some ex-JWs continue to believe in the Bible as the inerrant Word of God. That's their security now that they no longer have the org. But others become atheists. The believers may feel threatened by the atheists. Others choose to return to the original teachings of Russell, and feel that at least they are freer than if controlled by the WT.

Once people come to the decision to get free from the rigid control of the WT, we should honor their escape route and wish them well. It's too bad any of us have to consider others as a threat.

• happehanna
    happehanna

You are both right they haven't left the WTBTS behind. I will remember what you said Justin and be more careful as to my vocab when talking about the JW's. A sect would perhaps be a better term than cult. It was only as I was going to this cult workshop thing that I metioned it.

But on that my ex who was a witness for over thirty years he has also said to not believe half I hear on sites like this. Why is that even ex JW's seem to think they know best?

• neyank
    neyank

The WTS has spent a lot of time and effort to instill in their followers the belief that anyone labeled an apostate is part of the evil slave class.

And of course there is no in between with the WTS.

To them, there are only two classes.

The Faithfull and discreet slave and the good for nothing evil slave.

So you know that the die hard JW that believes the WTS speaks for God will certainly believe that apostates are just as evil as the devil himself.

Untill the JWs see the WTS for what it really is, they will continue to believe this garbage.

Even those that have left it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

A friend of mine just told me (at lunch) that when JW's call at the door he just says "I know Ross, and if I want to know anything about JW's I'll ask him, thank you very much".They skedaddle faster than you can say Jack Robinson

I was ROFLMAO!!!

Edited to add:
    I misread the title and original post:
    I've met a number of DF'ed JW's who haven't yet become exJW's. It's a sad and difficult no-mans-land, for them.
    I genuinely grieve for them, because there is so much fear there. You can see it in their eyes...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I was like that for 10 years after I was DFed. I still thought their teachings were right and I was on the outside of being saved.

It took some reading and research to discover the real truth.

I have three brothers and 1 sister all who were raised in it for some years. Only one brother refers to it aa a cult and he was in for the shortest time (1 year) One brother just thinks it is weird. I don't know what the third brother thinks but he is out. And my sister still believes she will be destroyed when the end comes (She was in since birth - 15 yrs old)

When I have spoken publicly about my experience and cults I never tell them which group I was with until the end. I give them all the identifying marks of a cult first and they are always shocked to find it is those "nice but pushy" people who come to their doors.

I think a lot of people are afraid of the idea of cults. They immediately think of the media examples of cults (Manson, David Koresh, Jim Jones etc) and that stuff is really scary as it should be. But people need to be informed that there are many other groups that are just controlling over their members as the media-announced groups and that we can protect ourselves by knowing what to look for.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I believe alot of Ex JW's still believe in The Society, but they want to get out there and have a little fun-partying,drinking,and smoking and eventually hope to return after experiencing all of these things. As long as they dont join up with apostates they can someday rejoin the congregation with a clean conscience. The definition of an Apostate is an opposer, and that describes me to a "T", because i have actively started exposing people, at work,to the false doctrines of the WT society. I can call myself an apostate and it doesnt bother my conscience one bit, as I never plan on returning to the kingdom hall ever again. BTW- does the King James Bible or the NWT even mention the word apostate?

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

For 25 years after my DF I was so naïve as to believe that dubs have the truth. I was DF:d so long ago that I did not even learn the the word apostate. Untill I had Internet I had been contenplating to return, but then came the eye opener. I had to sacrifice first 50 years of my life to became a xjw.

Mark

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute
    BTW- does the King James Bible or the NWT even mention the word apostate?

NWT- Job 34:30 "so that an apostate man may not reign, nor their be snares of the people." 2Thesselonians 2:3 "let no one seduce you in any manner, because it will not come unless the apostacy comes first and the man of lawlessness gets revealed, the son of destruction."

the king james version uses words like "hypocrite" and "antichrist" for an apostate. and "falling away" instead of apostacy. but i believe it is a common word used by all christians for those apposed to christ.

the new bethel of york

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit