The Missing Link - remains of the Nephilim?

by truthseeker 44 Replies latest jw friends

• rem
    rem

I don't believe there have been any Neandertal fossils (nor any other non-modern man fossils) found younger than 30,000 years or so, so I view the assertion that one was found and dated to Noah's day (6,000 years or so) quite skeptically.

rem

• heathen
    heathen

I agree that precise dating is out of the question . If you look at the link I provided there are some scientists who state that the fossil record was clearly altered and not leaving a dependable time line but does show evidence of people of large size having existed some time in the distant past . The neanderthal was not a giant in the same regard as the nephilim are alleged to be but I've heard some scientists speculate that they were stronger than early man and could have played the role of bully . They did find some neaderthal camps where charred human remains suggest that neanderthal ate early man .

• logansrun
    logansrun

heathen,

I'm taking a course right now called "Genetics, Evolution and Culture" and we are covering the Neanderthals. From what we know they were stockier (not taller) and some feel might have been more powerful than man.

There are two main hypothesis as to why there are no Neanderthals alive today: either there was interbreeding with Homo sapiens or modern humans killed them off (due to superior technology). Modern mitochondrial DNA evidence shows there is a much wider gap between modern humans and Neanderthals than between modern humans and ancient humans. This does not lend support to the interbreeding hypothesis.Thus, it seems that we killed them off.

There has been no collection of any form of writing in Neanderthal culture. One would expect to find that, if they truly were a "super race" of half human / half powerful spirit creature there would be remains indicating their intellectual superiority. There is none.

The whole idea is just utterly preposterous.

Bradley

• logansrun
    logansrun

Danny,

Now thanks to the Watchtower cult I'm lost in limbo and I don't know what to think....

First off, most Americans are "lost" when it comes to science without having had anything to do with the JWs.

Secondly, what prevents you from learning about science now?

Bradley

• heathen
    heathen

Logansrun--- I don't recall the bible mentioning superior intellect . Larger brain does not mean superior intellect as far as I know . However there are plenty of ruins of acient cities that lie under the oceans which are being explored . They just found one off the coast of India in the last couple of years but don't think they have raised the money needed to explore .

• logansrun
    logansrun

heathen,

I don't recall the bible mentioning superior intellect .

No, it does not. But, we are talking about the hybrid offspring of normal humans and angels. Angels are supposedly both more powerful and far more intelligent than man (they've been around a lot longer). Wouldn't it make sense that their offspring inherit some of that intelligence, as they ostensibly did their superior strengh?

Larger brain does not mean superior intellect as far as I know .

I didn't say larger brain size when talking about Neanderthals in my last post. I mentioned evidence of writing for which there is none. My point about brain size was for the alleged "Meganthropos." A significantly smaller brain would almost certainly entail lesser intelligence (as the animal kingdom shows).

However there are plenty of ruins of acient cities that lie under the oceans which are being explored . They just found one off the coast of India in the last couple of years but don't think they have raised the money needed to explore .

Oh really! Would you care to provide documentation of the "plenty of ruins"? Or did you also see this on one of those Discovery channel specials?

Question: Do you believe in the Biblical (or any other) account of a worldwide flood?

Bradley

• heathen
    heathen

First off, I didn't say I believed that neaderthal man was related to the nephilim, just pointing out the many theories that are being formulated by religious scientists . I don't know where neanderthal came from and certainly can't prove anything other than they were humanoid. The intelligence of the nephilim as of yet can't be determined either because there doesn't seem to be evidence of anything but some very large humanoid skeletons being found but I suggest that if these under sea ruins are a part of their history it may yet be determined . I found a link on google and there are plenty of sites discussing the issue of underwater cities . http://www.link-mail.com/44140.html just for argument sake I will post a link .

I do find the story in genesis to be interesting and feel it does provide the right circumstances for there to have been a global flood . Such as a watery canopy to which scientists do not argue in favor of .

• rem
    rem

No nephilim-like remains have been found in modern strata. The only "nephilim-like" fossils that have ever been found are dated far earlier than the alleged flood and there doesn't seem to be any question that they are anything other than early hominids.

I'm not exactly sure what underwater cities have to do with nephilim. Sounds like grasping at straws to me.

So it pretty much looks like there is zero evidence that the nephilim ever existed. Until there is evidence, there is no reason to view the nephilim as any more real than Cyclops.*

rem

*Actually early explorers thought they had found evidence of Cyclops when they happened upon huge one-eyed skulls. It turns out they were elephant skulls. Elephant skulls have a huge hole for the trunk that looks eerily like a Cyclops skull is imagined to look like.

• heathen
    heathen

rem --- Let me just ask a question here , do you believe in UFO's ? I know that most people that will criticize something like the nephilim often have other beliefs that defy logic and will even argue over it . Now then, I have seen many things in my life that defy the scientific point of view but am not about to argue over it since I am a skeptic and understand that evidence and personal experience are very important . To argue with others requires evidence in order to be convincing but to experience something personally can change your own mind on things . I have seen spirit beings in my life but never have seen one that could take a physical form just a ghostly image and I was stone cold sober at the time so to me there is evidence of what the bible says to be true .

• rem
    rem

Heathen,

UFO's? I believe Unidentified Flying Objects exist. Do I believe they are space aliens? No. It is highly improbable that space aliens are visiting the Earth. That's not to say there isn't a possibility that space aliens exist somewhere in the Universe.

I, too, have seen what many people would call spirits. I've experienced strange things, but I no longer jump to the paranormal hypothesis for an explanation. After doing a lot of research on how the brain works and how our perception can easily be fooled (there are tons of scientific experiments that prove this) I find it highly probable that any spiritual experience we have is all in our minds - sober or not.

Even if your experience proved that a spirit world exists, that does not provide any more evidence that the bible is more true than, say, voodoo religions, or even the book of mormon which also says spirits exist.

rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit