Freedom of speech, cousin Jeb and the Bin Ladens

by Simon 71 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

Well, despite not having the much touted "freedom of speech" that America enjoys, we will get to see Micheal Moore's new film "Farenheit 911" whereas America, for now, won't.

The film links President Bush with powerful Saudi families including the Bin Ladens.

Seems Disney (based on Florida) have blocked the distribution because they are afraid of losing tax breaks by way of retaliation ... handy having cousing Jeb as governor isn't it?

Still think you have freedom of speech?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3689121.stm

• minimus
    minimus

and your point is what??

• shamus
    shamus

It's just Disney kissing the government's butt is all, Simon. There is no other reasonable explanation.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I don't have a lot of respect for Michael Moore. I loved Roger & Me but I was very disappointed in Bowling for Columbine. Outside of the numerous factual errors, it just felt wrong. I understand the point he was trying to make (or rather beating the viewer into submission with) but my feeling is if you have to distort facts to make your point, then your point isn't worth making.

Having said that, I do think the film should be released. Disney should hold its nose and release it. I only know what I've heard from news reports, about his attempt to link Bush to bin Laden, but if he distorts facts like he did in his last film I would think there is enough grounds for a defamation and/or slander suit.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Maybe someone from Disney watched it and didn't like it. If it's as full of lies as Moore's last film, can you blame them?

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Hands Simon same flame proof underpants.

-

Ignored One.

• dubla
    dubla

one company deciding to protect its own image by not releasing a specific film is hardly censorship.....give me a break.

aa

• dubla
    dubla

Fox rejects Gibson's 'Passion'

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/09/01/DD272689.DTL

oh heavens! where has our freedom of speech gone???????

aa

• Realist
    Realist

dubla,

true the US has freedom of speech and freedom of press. but the mass media which is the only crucial part when it comes to controlling the opinion of the population is controlled by only a very few companies.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    handy having cousin Jeb as governor isn't it?

Jeb is George W's brother, not his cousin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit