Astrology is an imbecilic belief (no dissenting discussion please)

by rem 41 Replies latest jw friends

• El blanko
    El blanko
    There is no evidence of any gods.

There is also no evidence that the fabric of your own reality that you have defined by sources outside of your own thorough understanding actually exists.

Your point?

Thanks for the book list.

I still suggest you read Colin's book.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I'm with you on this, Rem. I recently watched a Discovery Channel program where James Randi debunked claims that astrological charts have any value. What he did was simple: He got hold of a bunch of astrological charts, mixed them all up, then handed them out to a group of people, some of whom believed in astrology and some of whom weren't sure. Virtually all of them agreed on how "accurate" the charts were for them -- despite the fact that they were randomly distributed. Of course, some astrologers cried foul, but couldn't explain what was wrong with the double-blind experiment. They could only complain that they hadn't personally made the charts.

Man, I could sure use some money right now. How about you and me and Realist get together and start a religion? Or convince a bunch of people that we can read pig entrails?

AlanF

• FMZ
    FMZ

Listen Rem you little edit... this isn't about beliefs and you know it. This thread's sole person was to get someone's back up, and mock someone for politely asking for people to respect a thread as a certain discussion. Screw you.

Moron.

FMZ

I hope you read this before the mods get to it you little edit

• rem
    rem

FMZ,

It is true that I was making a point. Notice the ;) (sarcasm).

Do you believe in Astrology?

El Blanko

>> There is also no evidence that the fabric of your own reality that you have defined by sources outside of your own thorough understanding actually exists.

I believe in my reality because I'm a pragmatist (I think therefore I am) - I'm not a Phyrronic skeptic.

I'll look up the book you recommended. Thanks!

rem

• Realist
    Realist

Alan,

i had the same idea! why not open a hand reading, astrology and card reading shop??? one could make a fortune!

by the way, there was an interesting experiment not too long ago which showed that gullability is indeed related to gene expression. some neurotransmitter is over or underexpressed (can't remember exactly) in gullibe people. quite amazing!

• El blanko
    El blanko

Whatever the true intention of this thread may be, for anybody wanting to take a test themselves and try a little experiment with friends, try this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0670032611/qid%3D1083619736/sr%3D1-1/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F26%5F1/202-0683404-0332651

Your own scientific (vomit) experiment if you like.

• Xena
    Xena

Edited because I really don't like to intentionally try to hurt people's feeling or make them feel badly.

Bad Karma

• rem
    rem

Alan and Realist,

I have a business proposition: How about selling a homeopathic cure-all called Placebex... or Placebonol. It works on the scientifically verified phenomenon of the placebo effect. It's simply amazing. This bottle of 20 dihydrogen-oxide pills sell for an unbeatably low price of $19.95. Act now while supplies last! The first 50 callers get a free astrological reading. If you're not satisfied, you get your money back.

rem

• FMZ
    FMZ

Yes, sarcasm was involved. But you know what I take exception to? Calling someone's beliefs "imbecilic", "crap", and "mumbo-jumbo". And calling those who hold these beliefs "supposedly intelligent", "mentally handicapped", "blind followers"...

If you were aiming to hit the line mate, you wayyy overshot it. Now you've done pissed some people off. You're a jackass of the lowest form.

My beliefs in astrology do not matter, but for the record, I am going to admit that I do not believe in it at all right now, but I am open minded.

Next time, learn some decency before you act like a three year old.

FMZ

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Real,

by the way, there was an interesting experiment not too long ago which showed that gullability is indeed related to gene expression. some neurotransmitter is over or underexpressed (can't remember exactly) in gullibe people. quite amazing!

You totally cracked me up!

Why don't give us the link to this???LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit