Astrology is an imbecilic belief (no dissenting discussion please)

by rem 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Elmer J. Fudd
    Elmer J. Fudd

I agree with FMZ and "approve of his message".

Elmer

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I looked up REM's chart and it told me that he's a big fat jerk.

• Xena
    Xena
    Insulting, threatening or provoking language

hhhmmmmmm does that perhaps pertain to this thread?

for FMZ

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Rem, I am interested in your view of the spirit world. I mean I dont want to go off topic, but I wonder if you believe there is anything out there, as in life after death , God, any kind of activity, be it in nature or whatever. I honestly don't have a clue myself and bounce between my see it to believe it attitude here lately. I guess I find myself doubting everything. It seems to make more sense to me , that we are here, not sure why or how we got on this earth, that we just die and there is nothing eles.

I am still in a place of great change , I am reading, watching things on the History and Discovery Channels about people, places and beliefs . When I learn more about what other people around the world the more confused I become....lol. But that is OK I am learning to live with the idea that I will never know.

Personally I don't see how astrology can really map out your life. But then again I have never tried it. I am not a believer or a disbeliever so to speak.

I was watching the series Taboo on the National Geographic channel and it was about witchcraft.

What caught my attention was that some of the scientist who were documenting things , like for over 30 yrs ,,,,suddenly had an expereince that they said they could not explain away with sceintic explanation.

Now that does not make me believe , or disbelieve that they really felt or saw something. But it is interesting that for so long , being in that field of study,,,,,that out of the blue whatever happened , they believed something was there. I kind of think that is what it is going to take for me to believe in anything ,again, I may not understand it , but maybe I will believe it to be true.

I am not saying I would be a believer , practice a certain way,,,,,but I would probably just have the knowlege that there is something I dont understand out there. Or I will be like I am not , having to see it to believe it.......lol.

• rem
    rem

El Blanko,

>> Whose controlled experiments?

There have been several controlled expiriments on Astrology:

Dean, G. (1977). Recent Advances in Natal Astrology. Subiaco, Western Australia: Analogic (Reviewed studies on the correlation between Astrological signs and Introversion and Extroversion. Found there was no such correlation that Astrology predicts)

Forlano, G., and Ehrlich, V. (1941). "Month and Season of Birth in Relation to Intelligence, Introversion-Extroversion and Inferiority Feelings." Journal of Education Research, 32, 1-2 (Examined the birth dates of 7,827 male college students and found no effect of any sun sign on extroversion and introversion as predicted by Astrology)

Lim, R. (1975). "Zodiacal Sign Polarities as an Index of Introversion Extroversion." Unpublished master's thesis. San Francisco State University (Used 163 subjects and found no correlation between extroversion and introversion and sun signs as expected by Astrology)

Eyesenck, H., and Nias, D. (1982). Astrology: Science or Superstition? New York: St. Martin's Press (Showed that their earlier study (1978) of 2,324 individuals that seemed to support the hypothesis of Astrological influence on extroversion and introversion was flawed and the result artifactual. Specifically, the subjects had knowledge of their astrological sign and the type of personality that is supposed to correlate with each sign.)

Mayo, J., White, O., and Eyesenck, H. (1978). "An Empirical Study of the Relation Between Astrological Factors and Personality." Journal of Social Psychology, 105, 229-236 (Study referenced above)

I have a lot more and can provide more detail if you are interested.

>> Does every aspect of our life only exist through controlled experiments? Like, ahem, a belief in God?

I don't believe in gods. There is no evidence of any gods.

>> Your experiment to control this thread is beginning to fail

My failure in controlling this thread has proven the skeptic's point. Please refer to http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/70651/1.ashx

I was not aware that Colin Wilson had any peer-reviewed studies about Astrology published in respected scientific journals. Could you please point me to them?

I recommend you read the following books to get a true scientific perspective on Astrology and other pseudoscientific beliefs:

Demon Haunted World, Carl Sagan
    In Search of the Light, Susan Blackmore
    Pseudoscience and the Paranormal, Terrence Hines
    Why People Believe Weird Things, Michael Shermer
    How to Think About Weird Things, Schick

rem

• Realist
    Realist

LOL

rem did you think it would turn out like this???

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    My failure in controlling this thread has proven the skeptic's point. Please refer to http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/70651/1.ashx

I let that thread go 5 pages before I stepped in. I think it's only fair to let this one do the same. Otherwise I might be accused of playing favorites.

• Rihannsu
    Rihannsu

Rem, Im lookint at the stars right now with a blown up picture of you...... and the stars just blew up!! you got some bad karma bro!

• rem
    rem

Hey you guys, we are trying to have a discussion here about the mind of a believer and you are trying to hijack this thread by trying to prove Astrology. This discoussion is for non-believers only. ;)

rem

• Xena
    Xena

I'm curious Big Tex...you don't see the difference between this post

Hi, everyone! I know that this topic will be a draw to those who are truly interested in this subject, and for those who seem to feel that it is their "duty" to debunk untruth and myth, etc. in their sphere of life. Let it so be stated that whoever is truly interested in this subject, and in having a "chart" done, etc. please post in freedom. As for those who are not believers of this type of subject, I ask that you kindly refrain from posting any negative comments on this thread. This is for those of us who are only open in mind to this subject. This isn't a debate thread. If you do insist on debating us, I ask that those on here who are curious please refrain from posting any retaliatory comments, myself included. We are not here to debate these subjects, we are here to explore their veracity and their application in our personal lives.

That said, I would welcome any comments on this subject, why you feel it is valid as a belief and how you apply it's "science" in your life. I also have access to a website that will do a birth chart for those who have NEVER had one done yet.

Terri

and this one?

How can supposedly intelligent adults actually believe (and waste any time) on this astrology crap? Are they mentally handicapped? Is it genetic? Memetic? Are they the blind follower type that fall for any type of New Age mumbo-jumbo?

Discuss. :)

rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit