Prats with microphones

by Jonty Parkin 27 Replies latest jw friends

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Before I started doing sound for our KH, I used to have to carry the mics. I felt like such a Dorkomundus. What really ticked me off the most is the Brother or Sister who couldn't keep their hands off of the mic, and would grab it as I was trying to reach half way down the aisle with my long pole-(the pole with the mic. attached, you dirty minded fiends ), nearly knocking me off balance.

• baysixforme
    baysixforme

On a similar but maybe not exactly the same note:

There was a M.S. in my old hall that, because of a physical disability, had to be pushed up and down the ramp at the side of the platform in a wheelchair.

On a day to day basis he displayed such a nasty and vindictive personality streak which was quite apparent to many and for the most part he often tried to hide it behind the facade of being extremely humble...especially when he was giving a talk or had a part in the T.M.S. or whatever.....

Whenever he 'got pushed' up to the platform and another 'brother' positioned his wheelchair and microphone at the correct angle.....there would always be that bellow of "Thanks Brother" directly into said mike, obviously for the benefit of the congregation to think what a wonderful, humble person he was. I used to sit and cringe as his personality would miraculously transform from nasty bastard to humble bugger with those two words.

Bit of a rant there, apologies for going off on one, but isn't it strange how reading a post can trigger memories that have laid dormant for years?

Bay64me

• the bandersnatch esq.
    the bandersnatch esq.

I remember one day when I had been working til around midnight then went drinking with some workmates til 3am Sunday morning - then was up for the meeting at 8am and on mike duty.

I was so hungover and tired I kept forgetting to take the mike to people and the PO was getting more and more annoyed. It's quite funny looking back on it now. Still, I suppose that's what you get for making working 18 year olds do mike duty...

• Gadget
    Gadget
    I remember one day when I had been working til around midnight then went drinking with some workmates til 3am Sunday morning - then was up for the meeting at 8am and on mike duty.

I was so hungover and tired I kept forgetting to take the mike to people and the PO was getting more and more annoyed. It's quite funny looking back on it now. Still, I suppose that's what you get for making working 18 year olds do mike duty...

I did that a few times too, except instead of forgetting to take the mike I was swaying up and down the isles....... The funny thing is That was in tyne and wear too the same as your profile says!

• oscar
    oscar

What fond memories you have brought back yes handling the mikes was considred a real privlege
    in my hall I am going back about 20 years now ,also doing the sound was another top notch privlege.
  • Jonty Parkin
    Jonty Parkin

Of course, the "privillege" of being a young microphone handler occasionally yielded its wholesome dividends of an unexpected nature. For example, when I was a microphone duty once, I was rewarded with an edifying flash of theocratic tit when a sister leant forward to give her comment.

When I got home later, I gave thanks and praised the loving Organisation by handling my own mike in uplifting appreciation!

Jonty

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

All it takes is one little flash of tit to give you a mike-on? Wow, I envy you men. Really, no sarcasm.

• Jonty Parkin
    Jonty Parkin

"All it takes is one little flash of tit to give you a mike-on? Wow, I envy you men. Really, no sarcasm." I was only 19 at the time, been in the truth all of 18 months and not had a shag in all that time! However, I think the topic is so important, I have just moved it on to a thread of its own. See Were you ever "rewarded" for faithful service? Jonty :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit