Has this happened to anyone else?

by EyeDrEvil 24 Replies latest jw friends

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil

OK, this may sound silly and trivial. BUT, I need to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

As a result of facial hair (a goatee and mustache), I was relieved of my incredibly important privilege of carrying the microphone at our ministry school and other meetings. I was also advised that I could no longer offer prayer at the congregation BS, or any other meeting, because my facial hair was stumbling some "un-named" pub in my congregation. (Frankly, I think it was my PO, but he didn't have the guts to say so...)

At first, I was shell-shocked. Later, I felt like I should send the elders a thank you note for their wake up call to the fact that I was in a very messed up religion. If one can allow themselves to get stumbled over someone else's facial hair, I think they have some bigger issues that only they can handle.

I am now free and so much happier. So is my entire family, who left the Society/ Matrix/ Organization/etc at the same time...

eyedrevil

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Not quite - never bothered with facial hair - but yes have had privileges revoked for trivial reasons by a PO who has not had the guts to tell me why

• Puternut
    Puternut

Eyedrevil,

Isn't is interesting, that it's ok to wear hair above the lip. And all is well and god loves you. But if you wear it below your lip, you are wordly and god doesn't love you.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Repent, and rid yourself of the beard! It is an extreme hairstyle and a trap of the Devil!

*** w75 8/15 pp. 500-501 Do Not Let Yourself Be Ensnared by Fads and Entertainment ***

Extreme hair styles can easily lead one into a trap of the Devil also, and cause others to stumble. For example, a young man in the United States was making fine progress in his study of the Bible, and he was moved to share with an experienced Witness in preaching to others about the good things he was learning from the Bible. From early youth he had let his beard grow, and since some in the business community wore beards, he felt that his wearing one in preaching to others would be acceptable generally. But in speaking to a lady he was unable to do more than introduce himself, when she said: "I?m sorry, young man, I do not want to become involved in student revolt." No amount of explanation after this sufficed to clear up the misimpression. After the conversation ended with the closing of the door, he asked the experienced Witness what had happened. He was invited to consider his appearance in relation to what he claimed to be, a servant of God. Not wanting to be responsible for even one person?s being stumbled so as to miss the way to everlasting life, this new Kingdom publisher shaved off his beard. Would you be willing to do the same or to make similar adjustments if your appearance gave the wrong impression in a certain community?
  • Puternut
    Puternut
    some in the business community wore beards

That is a point that the WT always pointed to. But according to the WT, isn't the business community 'wordly'? So how is it that they take examples from the world, and make that a standard? There is NO scripture in the bible that mentions anything about facial hair for men. We were created with it, and Jesus had a full beard.

Puternut

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Puternut, you gotta speak in jive, bro!

Dat be some point dat da damn W-T 24/7 pointed t'. Woah, Nellie! But accordin'
    t' da damn W-T, aint da damn business community 'word-like'? So's how be it dat
    they snatch 'esamples from da world, an' make dat some standard? Dair be N-O
    scripture in da little black book dat menshuns anythin' about facial 'fro 4
    dudes. Right on! We wuz created wit' it, an' Brotha' Jesus had some full
    beard.
  • boa
    boa

well, it didn't happen to me (partially because I have very slow facial hair growth) but I have been intrigued by this 'rule' against beards.....

In questioning the PO at a hall I was at a coupla yrs ago.....he said there really wasn't any 'rule' that he knew about (whatever) but that you had to be 'clean shaven' for assembly parts.....whoah.....just wait a sec mr. p.o. sir......doncha mean 'clean shaven' except for mustaches right? uhhhh, yah yer right, except for that .....sheesh

boa.....still of the 'I can't grow a damn beard klass'

• Candles of Light
    Candles of Light

Well, yah know, I don't have facial hair and as for rest goes I'm ZIP! I wonder if they check that far below the lip? HeHeHe.

Candles

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil

Candles,

WAY too much info!

• Mulan
    Mulan

One of the very prominent elders in our area, grew a beard about 10 years ago, gave talks, continued in his position of responsibility, and still had the ear of the CO and the DO. He said he did it to show it could be done and to try and make a statement to all the biggies at Bethel. He is a really nice man, still is...................still a pretty free thinker, but also a true believer.

He eventually shaved it off after a few months simply because he didn't like it.

One of the MS in our congregation had the same issue as you, and my husband was asked to speak to him and tell him his privilege would be revoked. My hubby said "I would be happy to do that. Which scriptures should I show him to prove your point?" Another elder backed him up. Two months later they were both out of town working, and another elder was given the job. When they got back in town, his privileges were gone. He didn't care. Now he is like us too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit