United We Stand?

by patio34 58 Replies latest social current

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks Blacksheep. I know we all have strong feelings here about political issues, but am appreciative of good discussions with respect.

Pat

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

One is exercising restraint, one is biting ones tongue. In the history of this whole frigging discussion board has anyone ever stayed on topic!! Please pass me the gnat strainer!

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

It's people like these that is the reason I hate politics.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

It's people like these that is the reason I hate politics. What sort of people would cause you to love politics? And what do you consider "politics?" (not trying to start another topic!) Maybe I should...

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

I can respect one that has well though out reasons to oppose the war. However, they are few and far between. In my experience, and I do run with person of a number of different politacl bents, is that those that oppose the war, in general, oppose anything that is led by a Republican/Conservative. I'm sure the same is true for those that oppose anything Democrat/Liberal. The whole issue is this...toleration. The most intolerant people that I have ever met are from the left. I belive this is true based on my personal experience here in S. California, and after reading history.

As far as United We Stand goes. It's a nice platitude, but it'll never work again. I think that too many out there (both left and right, politically) are so admanatly oppossed to the other philosophy that neither can do something good in the others' eyes. Sad, but true.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny
    United We Stand allows for loyal dissent...it doesn't allow undermining US policy and soldiers.

Well, what exactly is the difference between loyal dissent and undermining US policy. If you don't like US policy and you say so, is that loyal dissent or undermining? I thought the whole point of democracy was that you get to not only disagree with a policy with all the wit and vigor that Americans bring to bear on any topic, but also try to change that policy if you possibly can? And why lump policy and soldiers together? It is perfectly possible to support the soldiers (as I do since I have family in the military) and dislike the policy which sends them to a war you don't agree with.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Yes, it is possible to support soldiers and oppose policy...here's an example from the past when this did NOT happen...spitting on soldiers returning from Vietnam and calling them babykillers.

A more recent example...CBS airing the photos of the Iraqis being humiliated by a few US soldiers...wrong as it was for them to do this CBS was just as wrong because it put American Lives at danger...the Iraqis are still holding a few of our guys.

Another example of unacceptable disunity...attempting to stop the movement of military goods during the build up of the war...civil disobedience that infringed upon the rights of others (stopping the flow of traffic on bridges, etc)

Jim McDermont (a category all his own).

We change policy by speaking with our reps and voting...not in undermining our policy.

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

Politics will ALWAYS be a forum for constant arguement and debate so there is nothing that would make me like the subject.

I define politics as anything to do with the decision making of our government or anything to do with any office of our government. Anything to do with government and all of the debates that exist therein.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

I define politics as anything to do with the decision making of our government or anything to do with any office of our government. Anything to do with government and all of the debates that exist therein.

Well, with that in mind, I'd HIGHLY recommend you avoid all political threads like the plague. Not a psychologist, but just seems to be the logical solution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit