United We Stand?

by patio34 58 Replies latest social current

• patio34
    patio34

What is the import of this saying that's used so widely in the US

Is the message that dissent is wrong? That we must be united or else we'll fall? That we're not united if we don't agree with what's going on?

Really, is this a democratic or a bit on the totalitarian side slogan? Or is it more a form of pressure for everyone to go along with what's happening? Did it come from the Civil War era, because when were the States divided? Or does it refer to the citizens, who are usually NOT united in a democracy? Or is it just wartime?

What do you think?

Pat

• logansrun
    logansrun

You know, one of the nice things about being raised a JW is having an aversion towards patriotism. Personally, I've always found patriotism to be silly and anti-intellectual.

I will support my country (or any others) if I feel they are doing the right thing. I will oppose it it is not. No flag-waving. No emotionalized anthems or rhetoric. Just plain common sense with a compassionate attitude for humanity.

Bradley

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Bradley,

That may make a difference too, being brought up a JW.

To me, having these kinds of slogans to pressure people to conform is similar to cult tactics. Another one on bumper stickers, etc., is "Support Our Troops," the inference being that if you don't support the war/invasion/occupation, you aren't supporting the troops.

Pat

• Realist
    Realist

hello patio,

good topic!

regarding the troops. i personally support everyone who leaves the army not who stays in the army.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I thought that term was taken from a Coke Commercial...

I?d like to teach the World to sing, in perfect harmony, Id like to buy the World a Coke, and keep it company...(it?s the real thing, united we stand, yea, Coke...)

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Patio,

I have been very surprised to find that so many people out in the so called world are just as mind controlled and under intense peer pressure to conform as the JWs are.

Many people support their political party like they support a sports team. And they think "my country right or wrong" without giving thought to the fact that those living in other countries may feel the same way.

I'm not able to understand it all yet, but this much I have learned so far; people are not as autonomous as they think they are. Personal autonomy or self-direction is the great falsehood of our day I believe. A better description of people is, imo, ant colonies. Each colony or group has its place and will not give way to the other. Fortunately there are many individuals who resist being put in any category and these are the ones who shine among the throngs of Walmart-like mediocrity and group thinking of the masses.

Well, that's my opinion for now anyway. I am trying to learn about people and the world in general but I find the learning gets more and more troubling not less.

Sabrina

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Realist. Thanks!

Thi Chi, according to this website (I think it's the Smithsonian Institute), it started in 1942, WWII:

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Sabrina,

What a thoughtful and insightful post! Thanks. I concur that we aren't as autonomous as we think and it's not too hard to manipulate the masses. There's a lot of quotes floating around from Nazis, etc., about just make the people afraid and then you can pretty well tell them what to do.

Thanks.

Pat

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Pat,,

Have you been seeing your muse????

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Yes, I guess Lincoln was full of crap when he said "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

Reading this thread gives me major flashbacks to the JW's excuses for eschewing government and patriotism of any kind.

You cannot help youselves I guess. We're all vicitims of our past prejudices.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit