Qualities to look for in a marriage mate? Let's get real...

by findingme 25 Replies latest jw friends

• findingme
    findingme

Doodle-V's thread regarding our own YPA questions got me thinking about this. Recall when we were past the "bloom of youth", and we could start the dating process (with ONLY the possibility of marriage in mind, of course). I was reminded again and again to look for that brother who possessed "spiritual qualities", ie, who could take the lead, had the goal of becoming a pioneer, or already was a pioneeer, etc.

I remember overhearing a sister say to her young son "See that young sister over there? I'm told she would make a very submissive wife if she got married. You should introduce yourself to her...". I rolled my eyes as I thought about my own loveless marriage to my Ministerial Servant husband, which was my case at the time.

I joke about it now. So, everyone: what qualities do you look for in a marriage mate? What about the following:

I love him; he loves me. He treats me great. He is a hard-worker. He is honest. He respects me. He's a good kisser; he's a great lover......HE MAKES ME HAPPY ??????

Isn't it helpful to know how they are in bed, too?

• Maya
    Maya

Gee........ya think????.........

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I was thinking the same thing ... good in the sack, bodacious ta-ta's ...

I also learned to avoid any gals who used the laundromat. After all, if she can't afford her own washer & dryer, how will she be able to support me in the lifestyle to which I am accustomed?

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

Its nice to hear you have found your perfect mate. Makes life alot more enjoyable doesnt it?

I love him; he loves me. He treats me great. He is a hard-worker. He is honest. He respects me. He's a good kisser; he's a great lover

All the above for me too

We joke about that submissive stuff.He married the wrong girl if he was looking for that.He is a good jdub, but would be a happier xjdub

Thankfully he is open to my search for another better truth. which makes for a perfect marriage

• Xena
    Xena

lol well it's certainly changed from when I was a dub and just focused on the "spiritual" things...actually at 23 I was fast approaching the "old maid" catagory and more worried about hitting the shelf and not finding anyone....*sigh*

Nowdays...I want someone who makes me laugh and who I can spend hours talking with, someone who doesn't mind we don't always agree and celebrates our differences. I don't want someone to support me financially but to just be there for me when I need to be held....a shoulder to lean on when I am down...I want a playmate and a soulmate...a great kisser and yea good in bed is certainly a plus

Ultimately I'm looking for a best friend to share my life with...

• shotgun
    shotgun

Unconditional love, at least a few similar interests, brains, someone who laughs..I mean really laughs not the snorting laughs or the har har har laughs but when something is funny they're not a shamed to laugh and have a good time.

Someone who knows when to let things slide because in the big sheme they mean dick all and also when to stand firm because this shit ain't happening.

Looks and all the rest are nice but you need someone that looks good to you in the dark, in the light, in a crowd or by themself....and that is usually determined by a beauty or a confidence that comes from the inside not the outside.

And if all else fails some rich person who does not want a prenup.

• Xena
    Xena
    And if all else fails some rich person who does not want a prenup.

ROFL...ok I thought it too but wasn't going to actually post it

• Celtic
    Celtic

Loyalty and a nice smile

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    Loyalty and a nice smile

Both qualities to be found in my Welsh Springer Spaniel, and he doesn't talk back or leave his dirty underwear on the floor.

Gretchen

• Badger
    Badger

1. Intelligence and wit...I'm very demanding here. I mean I want a cross between a Rocket Scientist and Sarah Silverman.

2. She has to like me. That's a massive hurdle right there when you're talking about me.

3. Positive! Not pollyana, but not starting out with the downhill view. This goes for affection, too.

4. A compliment. You hear that in the Org a lot, but I take it to mean this: Someone who matches your weakness with strengths, and someone whose differences mesh with yours.

5. Not particular about looks. Lots of things I like, but no specific categories, And I appreciate all types of outer beauty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit