JW Suicides

by dmouse 13 Replies latest jw friends

• dmouse
    dmouse

I heard some sad news today. An old friend of my mum's has apparentely committed suicide. I remember the woman well, a devout JW with an amazing sense of humour and a lovely personality. I don't know any more details at the moment but if true this is the second JW to have commited suicide in Leicester this year. Her name was Nancy Hasha.(sp?)

I was surprised to hear that there will be a funeral at the Leicester Forest East congregation tomorrow, I thought suicides weren't allowed a service at the hall. What is the current thinking on this?

On a similer topic today's Mirror newspaper carries a story about 'suicide tourists' here is a quote:

A family friend said yesterday: "I'm absolutely devastated they felt so desperate to end their lives.

"I'm also surprised because they were Jehovah's Witnesses and I don't think their church would have a

ccepted their decision

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12848625&method=full&siteid=50143

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

makes you wonder how many have thought about it,

btw, link not working, comes up error ???

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Alot religions believe that someone who kills themself does not go to heaven. As JWS believe that if someone commits suicide they would not be ressurected (sp?)

My JW cousin hanged himself a few years ago. His funeral was not held in a Kingdom Hall, and I must tell you, it was one of the most uncomfortable funerals I've ever been to

• Fleur
    Fleur

it's almost a year since a dear old jw friend of mine committed suicide.

i was so sad to find out he was df'd at the time, i would have called him up.

still can't believe he's gone :(

fleur

• blondie
    blondie

Hi dmouse. How goes it?

It could be that officially she is not considered a suicide by the authorities. Based on that the elder body in the congregation may have decided to go ahead and have the service at the KH.

I think too it means more what their "standing" was in the congregation. Inactive, DF'd, or active. It could be if she were an active JW in good standing, they might have decided to go ahead and have it at the KH. I have seen funerals for DF'd and inactive JW suicides at the funeral home, with an elder giving the talk.

Blondie

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Sorry to hear about this Dmouse. I started a thread a while back on JW suicides. Feel free to add to it (if you haven't already):

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/69325/1.ashx

Other than that, I hope all is going better with your family situation.

• a wee scots lass
    a wee scots lass

Dmouse,

I am sorry to say that I have known quite a few jw who have committed suicide. Most have had their funeral in the KH as the elders felt that they must have been mentally ill to have done such a thing therefore not accountable. I agree - this degree of sympathy has been a reflection in the persons standing in the hall prior to their death.

• dmouse
    dmouse

Sorry about the link not working, not sure why but if you do a google search on 'suicide tourists jehovah's witnesses' the link comes straight to the top and you can follow it from there. However it is a story from last year I looked at the wrong date - apologies.

Hi dmouse. How goes it?

Some good things some bad Blondie, thanks. I do pop by sometimes and see what's happening but my life has been turned upside down in the past few months as I'm going through a painful and messy divorce - JW issues are not high on my list of priorities so I don't feel the need to post much at the minute.

I'll have a look at your thread Nosferatu and see if I can add anything.

• shamus
    shamus

Sorry to hear about your old friend, Dmouse. Mind control works well after they boot your ass out of they're 'christian' and 'loving' brotherhood.

• Sassy
    Sassy

Years ago they (JWs) didn't give hardly any sympathy toward those who committed suicide. They have at least softened a bit on that. maybe because there have been so many??

I couldn't go to a friend of mine's mothers because of problems with an elder (my father in law at the time) in my hall.. and he later had NY come down on the cong who did have a service on behalf of the one who died in the KH.. it was horrible..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit