Come on, who really TALKS like this? "Your people are so joyful!" etc...

by somebodylovesme 16 Replies latest jw friends

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

I recently snuck a read of the KM newsletter, which talked about assembly preparation. Aside from how ridiculous it is that they have to TELL people not to push and shove (duhhh), I thought the quotes seemed a little, well, hokey. I don't have it with me, so I can't quote it, but it was what I can guess is a commonly cited compliment: that the hotel manager/police/venue host said they are "thrilled to have Jehovah's people" with them because "your people are so joyful" and so on. It just seemed reeeeally extreme to me. I don't think I've ever heard a non-Witness talk like that.

Then, within a couple days, I was talking to a JW relative (in-law) who just got a new job. He claimed he got the job in part because the boss had previously employed another brother - and that this boss said he "loved to have Jehovah's people as employees because they are so joyful and so hardworking." yeahh... I can't imagine that the manager would say something like that, in such words. I can hear, "Oh, yeah, we had a 'Jovah Witniss' work here before, yeah, he was a good guy." I don't really trust this relative to be totally honest, and IMHO he's getting that kind of language straight from the literature.

So really... have you ever heard anyone outside the organization talk about Witnesses like that, in that pretentious phoney language? I never have. Most I hear is, "Witnesses? oh yeah, they go door-to-door and stuff, right?"

SLM

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

You always hear the managers comments, cuz there the ones who make a bonus on how profitable it is. How come they never quote the staff members who have to deal with the thousands of dubs staying in the hotel, all in a mad rush to get to the convention center at 7:00 to get their "good seat".

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Most I hear is, "Witnesses? oh yeah, they go door-to-door and stuff, right?"

Actually, I commonly hear JWs referred to as "Jehovahs". Example: "Yeah, we used to have a couple of Jehovahs here.

...and NO, non-JWs never talk the way JWs would like them to.

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme
    Actually, I commonly hear JWs referred to as "Jehovahs".

ahhh yeah, I've heard that too. That, and "Jehovah Witnesses" without the possessive 's'.

• Purza
    Purza

OMG Truthseeker1 -- your post brought back many memories of getting to the assembly site at 6:30 in order to be in line by 7:00 so we could get the "box" seats with all the leg room. Believe me THAT was not a joyful time -- even though they read the daily text to us before we stampeded into the convention site. Later on they then turned the box seats into seating for the 65 and up.

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

"Joyful" that another boring 3 day convention is over and we now have a 3 hr ride home.

• Justin
    Justin

If people refer to them as "Jehovahs," it's obvious they havent gotten their message across. Just as someone else has pointed out that, in spite of all the hours spent in the witness work, almost no one knows that JWs believe God's kingdom was set up in 1914, so similarly few people realize that "Jehovah" is supposed to be God's name. So what kind of a witness to "God's name and kingdom" has really been given?

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    and we now have a 3 hr ride home

Count yourself lucky that it was only a 3 hour drive. My dad used to think that assemblies were the family vacation for the year. He'd load everything up in the RV and we've travel across several states ... to sit in an arena all day ... no theme parks, no beaches, no fishing, no bikini babes ... ACK! What the hell kind of existance is this for a hormonally overdriven teenage guy??!!

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

The only time I ever heard of anyone talking like this was at the assemblies during one of the talks when they would tell us about people who talked like this...Otherwise, I don't think people much talk about JWs and if they do what they say isn't too "upbuilding" to those in the Org and probably nothing any JW would want to repeat...

• Maverick
    Maverick

I have worked for people in the restaurant and hotel fields and the only comment they have consistently made is how cheap the JW's are! Hotel mamagement like to fill the rooms so they promote the JW's, the Baptists and any other group that will accomplish this end. Of course they will tell the higher-ups of those groups how wonderful their group was! If the staff doesn't like it...too bad! Even at the convention sites, the JW's masters will push for a lower than average rental rate by telling the management company that the JW's will do all the dirty work and fix up the place for free. The WTS then will use all of the free labor the donations from the stupid JW's to make good on their promise. It costs the WTS nothing but laying on a little guilt. And they are masters at that! Maverick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit